• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What Games Should Ditch Their House Systems

Reynard

Validated User
During the d20 Glut people grumbled a lot when some games ether changed to d20 or at least made d20 versions. And indeed in many cases it was a bad fit.

That said, some games are better written than designed. That is, they have a great setting and ideas, but their systems leave a lot to be desired. At this point, we have a large number of either OGL or relatively easily licensed systems out there. What RPGs can you think of that should ditch their house system -- for whatever reason -- and put out a version with a known, established system (from HERO to Savage Worlds, or PbtA to FATE)? Why? Why ditch, and why pick the system you did?

I for one want to see Numerera for FATE. All that high weirdness and alien futurism deserves a system built for equating cool names for things with game mechanics.

Aaron Mouritsen

RadioFreeDeath
Validated User
Vampire the masquerade should just ditch their d10 system and use cortex drama. It fits the genre better than a simulationist system.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Palladium. They started with Rifts, but... yeah. That's it. Truthfully, I'm not sure what "the best" system would be simply because people want so many different things out of a game and system. Certainly, Heroes Unlimited would benefit from going to an effects based system or something more traditional but less "Palladium." Ninjas & Superspies could go anywhere.

I mean, seriously, if there's any one company that embodies the advice of "get the books for the material and convert", its Palladium.

randlathor66

Validated User
I second the change of rules for Numenera, just not for Fate (I think some of the settings for Fate are excellent, but the rules, not so much). I would go with Gamma World 3e, with an enhanced skill system, and get rid of the 1-off items (i.e., the Numenera) and make them more realistic: some could/would be only of limited use, others more so like actual tech.

I love Dark Sun but not the D20 rules for the setting. So, I would go with Rolemaster (2nd/Classic edition) for the enhanced deadliness - y'know, because the setting is more deadly/dangerous than your average fantasy setting.

As I briefly mentioned above, some of the settings for Fate sound awesome, I just can't grok that system. I would have to delve more deeply into said settings to determine what system I would use for them, but suffice to say: they wouldn't be narrative systems.

I also agree that the Palladium settings (Rifts and its fantasy setting) could use different systems. Savage Worlds does seem a pretty-good fit for Rifts, and with Palladium Fantasy RPG I would go with Rolemaster 2nd/classic (again - basically it would be my go-to for most fantasy settings).

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
Tales of the Floating Vagabond is a funny game that's stuck with a lumbering traditional RPG system. Either FATE or Toon would be an improvement, and honestly I'm not sure which direction I'd prefer as long as it was one.

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You just made me think about re-writing Diaspora without Fate which is distracting me from real work.

Endless Rain

Validated User
I'd like to see The Strange in GURPS. The setting perfectly plays to GURPS's strengths, and the Cypher System is too rules-light for me.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I also agree that the Palladium settings (Rifts and its fantasy setting) could use different systems. Savage Worlds does seem a pretty-good fit for Rifts, and with Palladium Fantasy RPG I would go with Rolemaster 2nd/classic (again - basically it would be my go-to for most fantasy settings).
Man, you could have a whole thread alone on a good home for Palladium Fantasy. I'd go for D&D just for ease of access, but that's just me. Or HERO, but that's because I'm a HERO player :)

I'd like to see The Strange in GURPS. The setting perfectly plays to GURPS's strengths, and the Cypher System is too rules-light for me.
You just made me smile. While Cypher is fine for me? Yeah, totally understand where you're coming from :)

DavetheLost

Validated User
The Palladium system at its core is not bad. The problem is it has suffered from system bloat, power creep and poor editing over many years and many games. I think a top to bottom revision bringing everything together and standardizing the system would go a long way to improving it. I am getting ready to start a Mechanoids Invasion campaign, and remember fondly early Rifts, PFRPG 1e, Beyond the Supernatural 1e, etc. There is a great engine under there, but it is badly in need of a tune up. That said I think a BRP mechanics version of the Palladium games would be a lot of fun, the skills and attributes are similar, the magic from Fantasy might take. art of work, but may of those classes use magic mechanics that are pretty unique to any RPG.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
Exalted should drop the Storyteller system and go to something d20/Mutants & Masterminds adjacent. It would be good for both- Levels are actually a great fit for Exalted, much better than dice pools, and d20 would benefit from the addition of more simulationist rules for things like disease and bureaucracy. (And mass combat, if we're feeling really optimistic.)

Top Bottom