💀 Necro What happened to Dogs in the Vineyard?

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have been searching all over for either a book or a PDF. The books on Amazon and Ebay are at ridiculous "placeholder" prices and the PDF is "out of stock" at Lumpley Games own webshop and unfindable on RPGNow and Drivethru. Did a lawsuit happen? Am I the only person that remembers this game...? :eek:

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Well, the forums didn't have any new posts in the last six years, so the interest seems to be limited, and the game is 15 years old now. However, the PDF was available on DTRPG as late as 2015, , and a POD version was apparently planned, so I'm not sure why it was pulled. They could have just have it sit there and generate some income over time.

gatharion

Validated User
I was lucky enough to find a copy in a used book store. Unfortunately, my ex took it when she left. :(

I'd love to get another copy, but sadly I'm not surprised that it's hard to find now.

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
Vincent Baker (the author) decided he no longer wanted to sell it, because he was unhappy with the Western genre and it's moral implications. So he stopped making it available a couple months ago (early December was when I was first aware of it.)

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I seem to remember that the book was printed at Collective Copies in Amherst Massachusetts, because they used to have a bunch on their shelves back when I lived in the area. It probably wouldn't hurt if you dropped them a line to see if they had some and could ship them to you.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
That's really sad. It was a great game, with more moral depth than 98% of the games out there. And it really wasn't a Western, either. I'm a Western fan and I've never read a story or watched a film about pseudo-Mormon regulators going from town to town solving problems.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Vincent Baker (the author) decided he no longer wanted to sell it, because he was unhappy with the Western genre and it's moral implications. So he stopped making it available a couple months ago (early December was when I was first aware of it.)
Which is a bit ridiculous because the only thing DitV shares with the Western genre is it takes place in a an area kinda like the American West, so... yeah. It's much more like the various deconstruction/reconstructionist takes on the Western that have occasionally made it to movie screens over the years.

Given I found like three places with PDFs on a not very involved Google search, it's not even like that move keeps the game from being available; it just enriches those handful of Amazon sellers as it's now a rarity.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I seem to remember that the book was printed at Collective Copies in Amherst Massachusetts, because they used to have a bunch on their shelves back when I lived in the area. It probably wouldn't hurt if you dropped them a line to see if they had some and could ship them to you.
Thanks, I am trying that avenue, though shipping to the Netherlands may be prohibitive.

That is a concern. I was mainly intrigued by offbeat theme and I am a long-time Vincent Baker fan.

Top Bottom