• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[What if] a decent D&D movie were to be made

Frecus

The Old Stone Thrower
Validated User
Probably been done to death but I haven't seen this format yet.

We know how a D&D movie shouldn't be made. Now what would one need for a decent D&D movie?
I was thinking:
-A main cast of 4 characters who all get some decent screentime (I saw D&D when it came out, and I keep wondering where everybody saw the other 2 characters. I only saw two...).
-Wizards, fighters, rogues and either a cleric or a paladin.
-A dragon. One, no more, no less, as we've seen what an overdose of dragons does.
-A bad guy, possibly the dragon as BBEG.
-A couple of simple plot twists; the average DM should be able to dream them up; I think it's supposed to be an action movie.
-Mooks. Lots of them. Preferably kobolds to tie in with the dragon.

So, your thoughts?

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Piestrio

*May Contain Multitudes*
Validated User
Even so, I'd like to see something set in say, the Forgotten Realms, and done WELL.
That's what gets me, Wizards owns several brands that routinely sell novels that hit the nytimes top ten list.

Drizzit and Dragonlance are the big two, but there are several second-tier books lines that do well also.

Why don't they put some serious resources into making one of those into a movie?

Piestrio

Frecus

The Old Stone Thrower
Validated User
Hmz, I should watch the 2nd movie. I was hardly aware there was one. Did it show in cinemas worldwide (or at least in europe)? If not, chances are there's been no news of it out here...

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

macd21

Validated User
The second movie is better than the first, but that isn't saying much - it's still rubbish.

The first step to making a good DnD movie is to forget that you are making a DnD movie. Assume that your audience doesn't know anything about DnD - so no throwing in weird monsters/characters/placenames/factions etc that only DnD fans will recognise or understand. A plot is important and needs to be at least reasonably original. Go to location A, then kill B in order to acquire magic artifact C is not a plot, it's a dungeon crawl. Fine for a night around the gaming table with your friends, not on the big screen.

Narshal

Renaissance gamer
Validated User
Hmz, I should watch the 2nd movie. I was hardly aware there was one. Did it show in cinemas worldwide (or at least in europe)? If not, chances are there's been no news of it out here...
It was a direct to DVD release. It didn't show in theatres and as far as I know, it didn't show on TV yet.

MadCow

Master of all evil bovine
Validated User
The second movie is better than the first, but that isn't saying much - it's still rubbish.
Still, compared to the first, it's miles ahead. It was on a much lower budget, and didn't have a certain annoying thief to ruin the show. Mr Blue Lips does show up again though (without the blue lips, which is a consolation).

smug

Better you better you bet
Validated User
That's what gets me, Wizards owns several brands that routinely sell novels that hit the nytimes top ten list.

Drizzit and Dragonlance are the big two, but there are several second-tier books lines that do well also.

Why don't they put some serious resources into making one of those into a movie?

Piestrio
FR fiction is fucking shite. It is popular, so I can see your point about viability, but in response to the thread being abot a good movie, I am not sure that horrible fiction is a promising start point.

I think that the second movie is the way to go; lower budget, full of cheese and with small pretensions. Sure, it looks somewhat like a sophisticated LARP event, but fair enough, it was a certain amount of fun, too. Wish they had decided to make a series of it as some said they might.

Top Bottom