• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[What if] a decent D&D movie were to be made

Cave Bear

Banned
Vin Diesel is a D&D fan from what I understand.
He may not be a very good actor, but if he were on board for a D&D movie I think he would do everything in his power to prevent the project from going to shit. He'd probably make a good Fighter too.

Doesn't Brian Posehn play D&D too?

OK, I think if a good D&D movie is to be made, one must first get together all the people in Hollywood who have ever actually played Dungeons and Dragons and try to get them on board first.

Also, a Dungeons and Dragons movie absolutely has to have an awesome soundtrack. I'm talking Danzig.

Evan Waters

Talented Amateur
Validated User
Seconded. The Sci-fi channel's TV movie was better than the Hollywood "blockbuster" by miles.

Even so, I'd like to see something set in say, the Forgotten Realms, and done WELL.
The first movie wasn't "Hollywood", really- it was an independent production company. Not that it helped any.

Frecus

The Old Stone Thrower
Validated User
As much as I loves me some Manowar (got every CD they ever released on the shelf in the game room!) I'd want to see a proper orchestral score for a serious D&D movie.
Agreed. Though they'd make some awesome music to accompany the credits. Or maybe they could compose some more dramatic music for the movie itself.

Also agreeing on that the 2nd movie was way better! Though the special effects lacked in some areas and the white dragon fight could have lasted a lot longer.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, here's my dream lineup for a new movie as far as casting. I'm not sure about a plot or casting, but we could work with something.

Producer: Stephen Colbert. Let's face it, the guy is one of us to the core and he's probably got just enough bank and clout to help things out. Plus he'd really push to do it right, which is a major plus. That and we've got to give him a cameo somewhere.
Director: Joss Whedon. I think he's got about the right scope for a project like this and we know that he's a gamer. He'd really "get it," I feel. Plus you'd have Colbert to keep him in line if he got to "Whedonesque" at any one point in time.
Script: Ideally I'd like a pairing between an established script writer and a big fan. I think our best bet would be a trio consisting of Joss Whedon, Rich Burlew, and Keith Baker. That gives us a guy who made a campaign setting, a real "Hollywood writer", and a guy really good with plots.

For our cast we can't go too huge name here and we focus on folks we're pretty damn sure are gamers. Mostly we want to get guys in who are going to give it their all, even if that all isn't high cinema.

Cast
Vin Diesel: He's been outed as a major fan and he even wrote the forward for the 30th anniversary book. He's not a bad actor and he fits the genre perfectly. I figure that we put him in as a fighter type, though I have a feeling he'd insist on elf. The good thing is that he's about the right build for one, though his voice is a bit off. We make Vin our star character, I think.
Will Wheaton: I'm quite sure we can get him on board a fun project like this, especially with a good script. He's a great guy, a good actor, and I think this is just the kind of project he'd have fun with. I think that he'd be a good rogue myself, he has about the right build for it.
Bruce Campbell: You can't tell me that Bruce wouldn't be all over something like this. Given his age we make him a washed up warlord/paladin/cleric of some forgotten God who's crawled into a bottle to forget something bad that happened. Think Sam Axe if he were a fantasy character.
Lexa Doig: She's a gamer and we need at least one female character, so she gets ported in as a fun little half-elven priestess or other type of spellcaster. If we go Bruce as washed-up paladin we make her the pluckier "youth" seeking him out for insight.

If we're hard up and need a bit more star power, we snag Mat Daemon and Ben Afleck to round out the cast, as they're both gamers as well.

Now that we have some heroes, it's time to snag us a good villain. I wonder if Marylin Manson can act, as he's a gamer and I bet that he could pull off an awesome creepy gamer. For the end run we get Vin to pull double duty and do the voice for an awesome dragon. Otherwise we think out of the box and maybe snag Ron Perlman to play a part. Not sure if he's a gamer, but he played Hellboy, so he gets an honorable mention.

We throw in a cameo for Colbert as some oracle or a villain's henchman and we're all set. I tell you, it would totally rock.

Frecus

The Old Stone Thrower
Validated User
I tell you, it would totally rock.
I posted: "What if". But "what if" contains a hidden question:

What would one need to set these things in motion? I mean, would open letters be enough? A prospect of probable sales? A proof of our own unrelenting support?

In any case, we need a wishlist!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, to really put this thing into motion I think we'd need several things.

But first and foremost you'd need a really tight, polished, and good script. To really make ti work well it would have to be written by dedicated roleplayers who are talented writers, really understand the property, and had a good sense of what makes a good movie. I think this is the one thing that we could produce right here on RPG.net. We have more than enough talented writers and people steeped in the entire genre to pull it off.

But good scripts need heavy Hollywood connections to secure funding and a producer. I think your best bet would be heavy networking to secure the ear and favor of a sympathetic director/producer out in Hollywood. I seriously do think that approaching Joss Whedon or someone like him would by your best bet.

Once you have that you have to pitch the script and get funding. A really good D&D movie is going to need a hefty effects budget and some good location shots, so we're talking something along the lines of at least 10 million or so in funds. That's going to require major studio backing and someone to get WotC to let us use the license.

The good news is that I think the climate in entertainment these days might be sympathetic to the idea, but damn if it wouldn't be a heavy long shot. You'd need just a fantastic script and someone to heavily sell it to the studios.

Mostly it's a pipe dream, but it is possible. It would just take a whole lot of dedication.

Top Bottom