🎨 Creative What if Dungeon World had more spells?

Hello there! I play Dungeon world for a while now and I started creating new stuff for the game. I have a list of spells I want to share with you guys and I want to know what you think. But first a few thing I want you to know:

1- My friends and I heavily modified The Dungeon World system (to the point we jokingly call it Advanced Dungeon World or ADW). Why am I telling you this? Because the modification include tweaks in damage numbers (we nerfed the damage of everything players have) so the numbers are messed up (I tried to "fix" them to be DW vanilla friendly, but i think I've failed...).

2- Some of the spells in this list are obvoiusly inspired by D&D others i tried to create from my head but I am no master of spells.

3- I'm not only posting this here to hear you opinion about the material, but also to share with you guys. If you like what you are about to read, feel free to do whatever you want with the list.

4- I dont have the Dungeon World book in english and the "ADW" material from where i got these spells is not in english either so I did my best to translate from portuguese to english so you can understand. Sorry for any possible mispelled words and wiedly constructed sentences.

5- this list is not for wizard only. It's a collection of custom speels. Feel free to put them in any class with spells.

6- some of the spells like necrosis and color spray had a bonus of +1 for any player acting against them. I removed them so you can decide if the bonus is just in the narrative or if it is a mechanic thing.

Spell List

Cantrips

Absorption - You create a thin magic barrier around yourself or on a target you touch. The barrier will break and absorb 1 point of damage the next time the affected target suffer an injury. This effect does not stack.

Confusion - Cast this spell while keeping eye contact to a feeble minded target. It will forget its next course of action, feeling confused for a few seconds.

Light Weight - A item targeted by the spell will become amazingly light for its size. Decrease its weight by 2.

Pact - When you seal a contract while casting this spell, you will know if the terms of the contract are broken.

Level 1

Curse of Tongues - You bestow a curse uppon a target you can see, making it impossible for the target to speak coherently. For the duration of the spell, the target will be unable to control his tongue nor the volume of his voice, babbling randomly. The effect lasts for a few hours.

Repair - You can make small repairs on objects you touch like removing scratch marks, sealing cracks or sewing tears.

Secret Message - A short sentence or simbol you write down while casting this spell will become invisible for anyone except you and other people of your choice.

Curse of Weakness - You bestow a curse uppon a target you can see, making his strengh be drained. The target will deal -1d4 points of damage when attacking for the duration of the spell. The spell can be ended at any time by the caster. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Wisp - You call a tiny harmless spirit to help you. The spirit will go to a location chosen by you and return, answering a "yes or no" question beforer dissapearing. The spirit dont tolerate any kind of violence or agressive behaviour and will dissapear imediately if it witnesses such actions.

Spy Shadow - You create a small shadowy creature capable of speech. The entity will stay still in a location chosen by you, hiding in the shadows and gathering information about everything that happens in its surroudings. The shadow can not attack and can be dissipated by any light source directed at it. Only one spy shadow can be created at a time.

Necrosis - You touch the skin of a living being and make its flesh wither and rot, causing 1d8 points of damage and leaving the target incapacitated until the affected area is treated.

Color Spray - You emit a flash of colorful lights that floods the vision of anyone in front of you at a relatively short distance. Those who see the flash will be blinded for a few seconds.

Slime - A target chosen by you will be covered by a thick layer of slippery mucus, becoming difficult to keep hold. The mucus can be easely washed off by water.

Slippery Surface - A thick layer of ice forms on a surface with clear limits, making it extremelly slippery.

Tranparency - An object no bigger than you touched during the casting of this spell will become trasparent without loosing its caracteristics. It will become really hard to spot, but not invisible, being possible to be spotted and inspected by trained eyes. Only one object can be affected by this spell at a time.

Level 3

Ruin - A non magical object touched by you will decay beyond repair almost instantly. Clothing will become torn and dirty, metal will rust, blades will become dull, etc.

Touch of Stupidity - A humanoid touched during the casting of this spell will have his mind faded, becoming a being of simple mind or even animalistic behaviour depending on the level of inteligence of the target in his normal state. The effect lasts for a couple of minutes.

Curse of Doom - You bestow a curse uppon a target you can see, making him more succeptable to damage. For the duration of the spell, when the terget takes damage, roll twice and keep the best result. The spell can be ended at any time by the caster. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Push - You point your hand to a target during the casting of this spell, making a strong sudden force send it flying for several feet. If the the target hit a solid surface, it will take 1d8 points of forceful damage. If the target hits another creature, both take the damage. If the target is too big or heavy, the effect of the spell is reduced accordingly.

Story Time - Choose a crature, place or object you can see. A voice echoes in your mind, telling you a short story about how the target got there, from where it comes or what he is doing, but not giving too many details about it. Where the voice comes from nobody knows.

Backslash - You enchant a weapon in your line of sight. The next attack done with it will turn back and hit the wielder instead.

Day Dream - A target touched during the casting of this spell will become fascinated by pleasing hallucination. The target will enter a state of extasi, seeing around him what he believes to be trully beautiful. The effect lasts a couple of minutes or until the target is attacked.

Explosive Runes - You write down a simbol, word or sentence on a solid surface during the casting of this spell. When the enchanted text is carefully inspected by a nearby creature, it will detonate dealing 1d8 points of forceful damage to all creatures in a small radius from the rune. Only one explosive rune can be written at a time, if you make a new one the former will fade away.

Wind Barrier - You create a ring shaped wall of rushing winds a couples of meters away and around yourself. The barrier sends any projectiles flying upwards and can lift objects and creatures no bigger than a person. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Level 5

Curse of Madness - You bestow a curse uppon a target you can see, making him go mad. For the duration of the spell, the target will not be able to diferenciate friend from foe and will attack anyone on sight. The spell can be ended at any time by the caster. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Cacophony - A deafening sound bursts suddenly from a point of your choice, dealing 2d6 points of damage to all that can hear around you and leaving them deaf temporarelly. The sound also cracks or shatter any crystalline structure within range. You are not afected by this spell.

Simulacrum - You transform a piece of someone into a limited clone of him. The clone is stupid and incompetent, convincing only in appereance. Only one simulacrum can exist at a time. When a new one is created, the former will become a pile of dust.

Static Field - An area with clear limits chosen by you will be filled with an electric field. Any creature that makes abrupt movements inside the area will take 1d4 points of damage that ignores armor. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Swap - A target you can see changes position with you intantaneously. The spell only works if you and the target can fit the respective new positions.

Hide in Plain Sight - A magic aura involves an object that you can hold in your hand, making everyone ignore its existance except you. The object is not invisible and the effect will be broken for the creature that touches the item. Only one object can have the effect at a time.

Animate Object - An object no much bigger than you becomes animated to help you with a task. The object is mindless and will follow a single order given during the casting of this spell. The GM decides the object's damage and HP. If the object breakes or if it fullfils the order, it will return to its inanimate state.

Level 7

Dead Zone - A considerably big area that you can see will be tainted by dark energies. At first the energy will make the plant life wither and die, then animals will perish and lastly dark creatures will be atracted to the area. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Antimagic Zone - Choose an area with clear limits. The area will be purged from all magic and no new magical effect can be created there. Supernatural creatures entering the area will take 1d10 points of damage that ignores armor and will loose any magic caracteristics or habilities. If one of more of the magic caracteristics were keeping the crature alive, it will just die. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Phase Shift
- You and all your belongings phase away from this world, becoming ethereal. You become trasluscent and incapable of interacting with objects from the physical world, being only affected by magic. While the spell is active, you can not cast new spells.
Invisibility dome - you create a magic dome in a area in your line of sight. Creatures inside the dome are invisible to anyone outside of it. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Psychic Scream - A terrible shriek flood the mind of all enemies around you for a few seconds, making the weak ones flee or faint and the strong ones drop whatever they are holding to bring their hands to their heads becoming helpless for the duration the the spell. The spell affects even the ones incapable of hearing.

Distraction - Choose a target you can see and a subject, person, or object. The target will be incapable of focusing her atention on the chosen subject, being distracted the moment it is brought to her atention. The spells lasts a couple of hours. Only one target can be affected by this spell at a time.

Time Anchor - Cast this spell at the exact place you want to anchor yourself and choose a trigger word. When you say the word you will be instantly transported back to that place, restoring you and all your belongings to the exact state you were when you casted this spell including spells memorized and any othe magic effects. The anchor lasts only one day and creating a new one will erase the former.

Secret - You remove a piece of knowledge from a target or from yourself and bind it to an object. The knowledge bound to the object will no longer be found in the target's mind, leaving him with no memory of it. If the target of the spell thouches the object, the knowledge will return to him and will become impossible to be removed again through this mean.

Magic Ward - You create a barrier around yourself or a target you touch. The creature protected by the barrier will become immune to any form of magical effect, beneficial or detrimental. Only one barrier can be maintained at a time.

Level 9

Hex - You bestow a curse uppona target, making it suffer from bad luck. At first it will experince little inconviniences, but will eventually become lethal if the effect persists for too long. While this spell is active, you have -1 to cast new spells.

Hysteria - Choose an area with clear limits. Anyone standing in that area will start seeing vivid and disturbing hallucinations related to their most deep fears, acting accordingly. The vision can not physycally harm anyone and the effect will dissipate on those who leave the area. While this spell is active, you can not cast new spells.

Pyoroclastic Flow
- A ring-shaped wall of vulcanic ashes and overheated gasses rushes from you and cover a big area around you burning, sufocating and covering everything in its path in a thick layer of vulcanic material. Anyone caught by it will take 2d8 point of damage that ignores armor.

Lava Field- An area with clear limits chosen by you will start heating gradually. At first the heat will just cause disconfort, but over time i will become unbereable. Then fires will start to happen and lastly the building and the ground will melt away, turning the area into a field of boiling lava.

cloa513

Validated User
Some of those spells lack definition- ie necrotic damage"treat affected area" how is it treated.
Pyroclastic Flow- would suck to be in your party.
Lava Field- does it damage how much?

Some of those spells lack definition- ie necrotic damage"treat affected area" how is it treated.
Pyroclastic Flow- would suck to be in your party.
Lava Field- does it damage how much?
First, thanks for reading

1- I said that I removed actual roll bonuses against affected targets from some spells, Necrosis is one of them. In its original text it read that anyone (players) trying to phisically attack the target would have +1 in their rolls until the target was treated, but I removed the bonus because I was unsure about the penalty being set by the spell's text or just given by the GM based on circumstance. The debility (not talking about the debilities that players can have here) that Necrosis causes vanishes when the target is healed by any way, like magic healing, using medicine, drinking a healing potion or simply by waiting it to heal naturally.

2- Just like Fireball, it is not something that you want to use around your buddies. It is a mass destruction spell and it WILL destroy things (including your friends). My answer for this one is: Use it wisely.

3- About Lava Field, once again the narrative leads things here. There is no defined damage for this one. First because it is something that takes a while to happen so you can just leave the area before the temperature reaches an unbearable level. Second the GM will decide how to run things with this spell. If the heat is too much for your chatacter, the GM will decide if he gives you a penalty or makes you take damage. If you stay in the area until the spell reaches its peak (when everything and everyone have melted away) the GM will decide if he makes you take damage or just kills you.

The lack of definition is on purpose so the GM has more flexibility to deal with what spells do. Unlike Dungeon & Dragons, It is not necessary to specify exactly what a spell is capable of, except in some cases. All that is needed is to give a general function and point the limitations.

I really appreciate your criticism ☺

Top Bottom