What is "aggressive scene framing?"

Robert Bohl

Validated User
Tell me what you think "aggressive scene framing" means. (I know what it means, in my own way, but I want to get a range of opinions about it.)

PS: If you don't like it or have an axe to grind about it, create your own thread please.

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
It is the opposite of saying, "So, whaddya do next?" (though sometimes that is the way to go).

It is combining the bits on the character sheets and the consequences of the players' actions and using them to make a scene that demands action.

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
"So you're hanging from a catwalk by your fingers above a vast chasm, and the stormtroopers are squeezing off blaster bolts at you from two levels up. The omnihedron is buzzing loudly at your waist, and you're fairly sure that means it's only seconds away from another temporal surge. What are you doing?"

Cheers,
Cam

Dr Jack

Banned
It is the opposite of saying, "So, whaddya do next?" (though sometimes that is the way to go).
I'm not sure about that. I think it's the difference between:

GM: "So whaddya do next?"
Player: "Er, well, we'll head to London?"
GM: "Okay, how're you getting there?"
Player: "Train"
GM: "So you walk to the station?"
Player: "Yeah"
GM: "And buy tickets?"

and

Gm: "So whaddya do next?"
GM: "Cool. Right, you've made it to London, booked into a hotel and you're on your way to meet Q when you notice you're being followed by a russian agent. what do you do now?"

Ratoslov

Exploding Murderer
Validated User
Starting scenes with a conflict, ending scenes once a conflict has been resolved (at least temporarily.)

kallisti_dk

Validated User
I'm not sure about that. I think it's the difference between:

GM: "So whaddya do next?"
GM: "Okay, how're you getting there?"
Player: "Train"
GM: "So you walk to the station?"
Player: "Yeah"
GM: "And buy tickets?"

and

Gm: "So whaddya do next?"
GM: "Cool. Right, you've made it to London, booked into a hotel and you're on your way to meet Q when you notice you're being followed by a russian agent. what do you do now?"
This is exactly it.

Also, scene framing is as much about ending scenes as it is about starting them. If you sense that a scene is over, and that the players are uncertain about what to do next, grab the reins of the game and have a fresh scene start.

Always pay attention to the players' wishes. In the London example a player might interject "But I need to talk to Bob before we go to London", "Sure" you say "You're at your old friend Bob's place. He looks at you angrily and says 'Why aren't you in London yet. Aren't you supposed to prevent the apocalypse?' "

OneSmallGod

Validated User
In our recent games, the Gm tends towards the cinematic, so you get a framing intro like:

"Cut to, Interior, The Bookshop. We See: a KINDLY OLD BOOKSELLER puttering with old dusty books behind the counter. We Hear: the bell over the door ring as a customer comes in. The Shopkeeper looks up and smiles. Reverse angle: (The Audience but not the PCs see:) Behind the counter, he's put down the book and laid a gentle hand on the butt of a sawed-off shotgun.

BOOKSELLER
(Smiles) How can I help you today, sir?​

Action."

Asklepios

Validated User
Personally, I'd never heard of the term so I googled it, and the first listed link was:

What is "aggressive scene framing?" - RPGnet Forums
1 post - 1 author - Last post: 18 hours ago
What is "aggressive scene framing?" Tabletop Roleplaying Open.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=464177 - 18 hours ago - Similar -
So on that basis, aggressive scene framing is whatever this thread says it is. :)

Top Bottom