• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is in a FATE game? Specifically - ICONS.

texaspoet

Troll Vivant
Validated User
Does this thing come out June 1st in stores, Steve?

I've reserved a copy in my FLGS and have money burning a hole in my pocket. Yes, I am actually on fire.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
In my opinion, ICONS -- like Houses of the Blooded -- is "Fate Inspired", but is not a "Fate Game".

Steve Kenson

Validated User
Does this thing come out June 1st in stores, Steve?
Actual publishing questions are Gareth's area (he being the publisher and all) but I sincerely doubt the physical books will hit stores on June 1. The commercial PDF is supposed to release then with the books to follow sometime in June. Exactly when depends on print time, shipping, distribution, etc.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
In my opinion, ICONS -- like Houses of the Blooded -- is "Fate Inspired", but is not a "Fate Game".
Right from an authority, folks!

(FWIW, I entirely agree.)
*contented sigh*

I want to make it clear that when I bitch about ICONS being mislabeled as a FATE game, it's because, in part, ICONS is definitely its own unique game, and deserves to be considered on its own terms. Its aspects are different; its damage mechanic is significantly different from that found in any FATE game I've seen. I'm putting an unreasonable amount of time and effort into writing up my Icons & Sorcery hack, and I wouldn't get so involved if I didn't really like the original itself.

Also, there are people out there who won't give a FATE game a second chance because they don't like the system. I want those people to know that this game doesn't fall into that category.

Also also, I'm a pedant and I like accuracy.

Matt Greenfelder

former armageddonsock
Validated User
Right from an authority, folks!

(FWIW, I entirely agree.)
*contented sigh*
I want to make it clear that when I bitch about ICONS being mislabeled as a FATE game, it's because, in part, ICONS is definitely its own unique game, and deserves to be considered on its own terms. Its aspects are different; its damage mechanic is significantly different from that found in any FATE game I've seen. I'm putting an unreasonable amount of time and effort into writing up my Icons & Sorcery hack, and I wouldn't get so involved if I didn't really like the original itself.

Also, there are people out there who won't give a FATE game a second chance because they don't like the system. I want those people to know that this game doesn't fall into that category.

Also also, I'm a pedant and I like accuracy.
I guess I don't understand the difference between a "FATE game" and a "FATE-Inspired game". It's been a while since I read Houses of the Blooded, but I think it was even further afield from the "core" bits of FATE (whatever that means, I'm not certain myself at this point) than ICONS is.

Not arguing (especially with the developers of the games in question :)), just expressing the idea that sparked my question (which got kinda lost in the first post).

It really feels like ICONS is FATE, tailored to a very specific flavor - or (and this is completely without snark or condescension or anything) it's FATE with training wheels attached. Aspects, specifically, are no longer this open-ended blank slate for you to fill in - both in name and in function. There are very specific categories and player/GM applications of Aspects are much more informed by these categories - that isn't to say that Aspects are less ... "Aspecty" than they are in, say, Diaspora, but they are certainly expected to be more obvious in their intent.

Similarly, combat has been refitted with very specific results for extreme success (the whole Stun/Slam/Kill side effects of great rolls). All the rest - damage not being on a track, Powers, the narrow non-pyramid skill list - those really aren't all that unique, when you look at all the hacks that have been done to FATE.

Taken all together, I completely agree with devlin1 that the sum of ICONS deserves to be regarded as something unique, and haters of every other "FATE game" out there may well find themselves liking it.

If saying it is Not A FATE Game will encourage people to check it out, I'm down with that.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Tommy Brownell

Validated User
I didn't care much at all for Spirit of the Century, but I haven't regretted purchasing ICONS, for what it's worth.

Breschau

Banned
The Fate 3.0 games out now all share some common traits: Aspects, Skill pyramids, stunts, stress, consequences, along with invoking, tagging, and compelling aspects.

Icons has Aspects along with tagging (which includes invoking) and compelling them. That's about it from Fate.

Icons diverges from "standard" Fate in that is uses Stamina (hit points essentially), instead of stress or consequences. Skill pyramids are replaced with a few levels of specialties. Stunts are not used in the Fate sense. Icons includes standard game bits like abilities, set damage, set damage reduction, and the like.

So yeah, it's Fate-inspired, or Fate-based, but not a Fate game.

Top Bottom