What is old is new again (myself included)

Detective Kabbat

Validated User
Hi,

This is my first post as I am back to role-playing after a long while. My roommate wanted to form an RPG group this year, and she elected me GM. Lots of players who will new to the hobby too, and that is always fun. I will have the most diverse group I have ever had to boot, which is awesome.

Most of my RPGing was done in the 90s, so while looking to find some recent games to play, I was surprised to find new editions of pretty much everything I left off with. It seems within the last couple of years there have been a new D&D edition, a new 7th Sea, a new Exalted line, a new Vampire the Masquerade, a new Legend of the 5 Rings, a new Feng Shui, a new edition of Shadowrun...

What no love for Whispering Vault, Rune, or After the Bomb? I almost made a Cyberpunk 2020 comment, but it seems that it is getting a video game soon-ish, so wow. Nostalgia.

Anyway I hope to contribute to the forum as well as steal some nifty ideas as I drop back into the hobby!

(Also, super interested in the new special dice games from Fantasy Flight. Genesys and similar lines in Star Wars and Legend of the 5 Rings. I never played Legend of the 5 Rings due to the convoluted meta-plot, but dang those new FFG books look good!)

g33k

Banned
Validated User
Most of my RPGing was done in the 90s, so while looking to find some recent games to play, I was surprised to find new editions of pretty much everything I left off with. It seems within the last couple of years there have been a new D&D edition, a new 7th Sea, a new Exalted line, a new Vampire the Masquerade, a new Legend of the 5 Rings, a new Feng Shui, a new edition of Shadowrun...

What no love for Whispering Vault, Rune, or After the Bomb? I almost made a Cyberpunk 2020 comment, but it seems that it is getting a video game soon-ish, so wow. Nostalgia. ..
The Witcher videogame is getting a new RPG... maybe that can assuage your desire for a new Rune ? ;-)

D&D5e has a 2 nice intro products, a boxed "starter set" (currently on sale for $10, usually $20-$25) and a free PDF. It's enough to play a LOT of games.

I'll also suggest you look -- if you want to sort-of sample/survey the "state of things" now -- at a couple of overlapping free/cheap product categories.

First is the notion of a "Quickstart" rule-set. These are stripped-down versions of their main games, suitable to get up-and-running quickly. Often they come with an adventure & pre-gen characters. They are really good for getting a feel for a game, to see if it's one you want to invest the money and time (OMG the time! some of these games can take soooo long to achieve game-mechanical proficiency!!! (not to mention, but the sheer SIZE of a typical RPG book can be a daunting obstacle for many newbies; so quickstarts FTW!)). The 5e "Starter Set" is such a product, and more robust than most (e.g. comes with a set of dice), but there are MANY others, usually free-in-PDF and cheap in print. I am particularly fond of TDM's Mythras Imperative and Chaosium's RuneQuest (they are mechanically similar, being 2 versions of he venerable "BRP" game engine).

The other (overlapping) notion is "Free RPG Day," an industry-sponsored annual event usually held in game-stores where game-swag (often Quickstart or similar) can be had for free (and usually games are played based upon those quickstarts). Next FRPGD is still some months away, but most of the "swag" from past years is available online as free PDF's (I mention it because sometimes the "Quickstart" you want isn't Google'able as such, but comes up via "free RPG day"). The RuneQuest QS that I mentioned above was a FRPGD product, for example, but I don't think the Mythras Imperative one ever was...

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’ve been playing a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game that wraps up next session. It’s been a lot of fun, and I recommend the FFG games to you.

Detective Kabbat

Validated User
The Witcher videogame is getting a new RPG... maybe that can assuage your desire for a new Rune ? ;-)

D&D5e has a 2 nice intro products, a boxed "starter set" (currently on sale for $10, usually $20-$25) and a free PDF. It's enough to play a LOT of games.

I'll also suggest you look -- if you want to sort-of sample/survey the "state of things" now -- at a couple of overlapping free/cheap product categories.

First is the notion of a "Quickstart" rule-set. These are stripped-down versions of their main games, suitable to get up-and-running quickly. Often they come with an adventure & pre-gen characters. They are really good for getting a feel for a game, to see if it's one you want to invest the money and time (OMG the time! some of these games can take soooo long to achieve game-mechanical proficiency!!! (not to mention, but the sheer SIZE of a typical RPG book can be a daunting obstacle for many newbies; so quickstarts FTW!)). The 5e "Starter Set" is such a product, and more robust than most (e.g. comes with a set of dice), but there are MANY others, usually free-in-PDF and cheap in print. I am particularly fond of TDM's Mythras Imperative and Chaosium's RuneQuest (they are mechanically similar, being 2 versions of he venerable "BRP" game engine).

The other (overlapping) notion is "Free RPG Day," an industry-sponsored annual event usually held in game-stores where game-swag (often Quickstart or similar) can be had for free (and usually
I am downloading the Mythras Imperative now, thanks for the recommedation. I liked the Witcher video games, so I peaked at that. Looks like they have a free rpg day offering, so that is convienient! I did notice a lot of beginners sets, which seems like a good way to ease in. Does the D&D set have enough for 5 player characters?

Detective Kabbat

Validated User
I’ve been playing a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game that wraps up next session. It’s been a lot of fun, and I recommend the FFG games to you.
I like the looks of it, especially the focus on opportunites along with success. Of my players, I have only one RPG veteran. I have one novice and the other 3 are new to the hobby. Would it be easy for them to learn? Also, what is the difference between the "Edge of Empire" and the other versions? Are there 3 or are they the same? I admit I'm a little confused on where to begin.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny all share central mechanics. Genesys further refines and loosens those mechanics further. The three Star Wars games are interchangeable. I've run a campaign and played in a campaign lasting about a year each. The Star Wars campaigns have different 'classes' called careers based on the theme of the book. EotE has more scum and villainy types. AoR has soldiers, pilots, people fighting for the cause. And Force and Destiny is your Jedi source book.

Genesys being the generic system loosens the idea of a career a ton, drops talent trees in favor of the talent pyramid.

I wouldn't call these games beginner friendly, but they aren't impossible and with special dice every group goes through a transition learning the symbols and learning how to parse the dice rolls. But it became second nature after a few sessions for my group which did include two newbies to roleplaying. I greatly enjoyed my Star Wars campaigns, and am enjoying playing in a Genesys campaign now.

Top Bottom