• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the appeal of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

Octiron

Insufficiently Hopeful
Validated User
It was fun, rich in options, easy to play, and didn't take itself so seriously. You could have a party of ne'erdowell asshats in WH and the game rules and fluff wouldn't fight back against that at all.

Haven't played the newest one but it looks woefully complicated.

raistlin33

Validated User
In D&D wizards are would-to-be gods.
In Warhammer Fantasy wizards are disasters-in-waiting.
Going around with your merry hobo friends cleaning dungeons, gathering gold and buying components and potions in the market? Nope.
Either join the Imperial College of Magic and make yourself useful to your country, or spend the rest of your life in hiding from the populace who would rather prefer to burn you in a pyre (or if you are a pyromancer, drown in a river). And with good reason.

Of course, you always have the option of join ing the Chaos side of the force....and screw yourself and everyone else further. At least is fun.

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For me the appeal was the ability to play a "Started at the bottom now I'm here" Warhammer special character in a fantasy grimdark setting. Unfortunately the one time I tried playing, the other players were really into the OSR "every encounter could end with your character dying of sepsis, alone and unmourned. Just make a new one and don't get attached!" sense. The two sets of goals did not match well.

Robin Low

Validated User
You can do intrigue, exploration, fighting, social, high magic or low magic, humancentric or diverse, city-based, wilderness-based, otherworldly, gods exist, no they don't, outright farce, deadly seriousness, a brutally prejudiced world, racially integrated... the list goes on. Sure, you can argue that you can do these things with all sorts of games, but in WFRP you can do any and all of them at once... and it all makes sense. Even the blood and shit meme if you really feel the need.

Regards,

Robin

Immunis

Warrior in Woolworths
Validated User
I also liked how you create some very unique class combinations. My 2nd ed wood-elf Scout / Beast mage was one of the more unique (if a bit feral) characters that I have played. A brightly tattooed ear burning nutter (sacrifices to the god of the hunt), that never really understood that cities needed laws to operate. The sort of person that when trying to find somebody in a noble mansion turned into a wolf to smell out the person he wanted to speak to and scared the hell out of the serving staff.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
The setting and Enemy Within campaign really made me love playing. Dark fantasy meets horror conspiracy meets a fair share of humour and satire. What's not to love? 1e had its defects rules-wise but it worked OK. The most annoying issue ("Naked Dwarf" syndrome) could be fixed easily.

Tricksy and False

Social Justice Murderhobo
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For me the appeal was the ability to play a "Started at the bottom now I'm here" Warhammer special character in a fantasy grimdark setting. Unfortunately the one time I tried playing, the other players were really into the OSR "every encounter could end with your character dying of sepsis, alone and unmourned. Just make a new one and don't get attached!" sense. The two sets of goals did not match well.
Unfair! I was totally prepared to mourn your lonely septic character.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
As a fan of the wargame initially it was simply getting play in the setting. But the iconic campaign, and subsequent significantly less iconic ones, were so enjoyable it grew beyond that.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It has occurred to me in the past that WFRP would be an excellent system to game out Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. Waterhouse, Mad Jack, Eliza, and Bob all have perfectly cromulent career progressions within the system, and you even get the element of trying to obtain the proper trappings to switch careers.

Top Bottom