• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the FateStorm Virtual Reality System?

bushido11

Banned
I clicked on one of the ads on rpg.net that led me to this: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=100414&affiliate_id=172017.

I scroll down and see this headline:

"Introducing the FateStorm Virtual Reality System, The Art of Evolutionary Roleplay

More than a decade in the making, including five years of extensive game testing, the FateStorm VRS offers players an immersive experience that is as richly nuanced as life by putting the player in control instead of relying on the roll of a D20.

Influenced by Jung, Joseph Campbell, the Tarot and ancient astrology, FateStorm is gaming evolved.

From now on it's not up to the GM or the dice to prove a character's worth - it's up to you."

I half-expected a movie explosion to appear on my monitor after reading that text-version of peacocking. Is anyone familiar with this system or game? How would it compare to something like Active Exploits or the Marvel Universe RPG?

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was influenced by Jung, Joseph Campbell, the Tarot, and ancient astrology. And you can see how well I turned out.

Nahualt

A badder Santa
Validated User
I clicked on one of the ads on rpg.net that led me to this: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=100414&affiliate_id=172017.

I scroll down and see this headline:

"Introducing the FateStorm Virtual Reality System, The Art of Evolutionary Roleplay

More than a decade in the making, including five years of extensive game testing, the FateStorm VRS offers players an immersive experience that is as richly nuanced as life by putting the player in control instead of relying on the roll of a D20.

Influenced by Jung, Joseph Campbell, the Tarot and ancient astrology, FateStorm is gaming evolved.

From now on it's not up to the GM or the dice to prove a character's worth - it's up to you."

I half-expected a movie explosion to appear on my monitor after reading that text-version of peacocking. Is anyone familiar with this system or game? How would it compare to something like Active Exploits or the Marvel Universe RPG?
WOW!

We need a review of this, STAT!

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I know I'm excited. I am simply vibrating with the tension here. It's contagious, I tell you.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
putting the player in control instead of relying on the roll of a D20
Oh dear. Another game who's design goal is having seen the D20 system and saying "I can do better than that!". Sadly, whilst they usually achieve that goal that's generally all they achieve.

Random_Interrupt

Brutal Games Developer
Validated User
Nearly bought that game, liked the look of it, but the description of the system was just so flowery and yet so damn vague that I just tagged it to wishlist instead, pending review. If it actually does something interesting I'll probably get it.

Toxicbob2000

Wannabe GM
Validated User
It looks like the same guy wrote the game and did the art. That's pretty impressive, if nothing else.

It's diceless, so it is definitely not just a D&D rehash . . . but from the preview it looks like it could really benefit from some proofreading (not unlike this post, which I just had to edit).

Last edited:

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
I saw this game and was all liek "I'll start a thread on this, and ask if anyone knows what it is actually liek", but the start new thread button is all the waaaaaaay up their at the top of the screen.

It actually appears to be a really cool background, a giant city of intrigue and asskicking and stuff, and I was all "yea", then I saw that description of the system and literally every single thing in it is a fantasy heartbreaker warning sign.

It might as well tell everyone about how great this game is compared with 1st ed D&D (which I bet it isn't).

That is the platonic ideal of a bad press-release.

Oh dear. Another game who's design goal is having seen the D20 system and saying "I can do better than that!". Sadly, whilst they usually achieve that goal that's generally all they achieve.
No, they don't generally do even that.

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nearly bought that game, liked the look of it, but the description of the system was just so flowery and yet so damn vague that I just tagged it to wishlist instead, pending review. If it actually does something interesting I'll probably get it.
Almost every heartbreakery game (certainly, every one I've ever read) does at least one truly cool thing.

Thus the heartbreak, when you consider that coolness in light of whatever-it-is that the game puts between you and that thing.

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
Almost every heartbreakery game (certainly, every one I've ever read) does at least one truly cool thing.

Thus the heartbreak, when you consider that coolness in light of whatever-it-is that the game puts between you and that thing.
I strongly suspect that in this case, the "one truly cool thing" is a giant urban fantasy sandbox setting with cults and robots, and weird monsters and shit. And that the "whatever-it-is that the game puts between you and that thing", is the system.

Now of course I could be wrong and the system could be amazing. Howevah in that case it would be the first system ever to be sold has being "More than a decade in the making" and having "five years of extensive game testing" to be any good. It would also be the first to combine the words "Virtual Reality" and "Evolutionary Roleplay" to be any good.

We won't know until someone from round here buys it, and it is 25 bucks for a .pdf, so yeah.

I really do want it to be good, I just have nevah herd a game described by the creators in such terms that wasn't terrible.

On the other hand it could just be the moast terrible RPG product description in history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom