• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the least playable RPG?

Octopus Prime

Retired User
After reading a thread about Space Opera and it's byzantine rules for throwing and catching, a question rises:
What is the least playable RPG? In terms of overly complicated, unweildly systems, who did it best?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's only my opinion, but in the 1980s a friend bought the Palladium fantasy RPG, and we wasted an entire Saturday trying to create characters. We gave up and since then Palladium has been anathema.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Anyhow KABAL probably is high in the running with using the square root of your attribute divided by the square root of their attribute times 100 as the base chance to hit. You rolled 6d20 for stats. Somebody's parents spent a great deal of money bringing that mess to market. Ads in Dragon, boxed sets with parchment dungeon tiles, but not a dime for editing or play testing.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
The 80s were great for this. I don't know anyone who actually created a complete Chivalry and Sorcery character using the actual rules

gpsych

Validated User
Aliens RPG - holy shit that combat system. The rest of it might have been unplayable too, but I can’t remember the basic roll resolution. Character creation was pretty damn complex if I recall correctly.

Edit: Oh, and Gary Gygax’s Dangerous Journeys. W...T...F...

Last edited:

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Universe RPG made my head hurt.

On the other side of the spectrum, for a lighter game that was unplayable, I was befuddled by Hong Kong Action Theatre. That probably kept me from being a backer of the failed Kickstarter, Far West. . .

Angel of the Dawn

Validated User
It's only my opinion, but in the 1980s a friend bought the Palladium fantasy RPG, and we wasted an entire Saturday trying to create characters. We gave up and since then Palladium has been anathema.
Hmmm. 🙂 Entire threads have been devoted to Palladium's issues. And as somebody that's had a lot of experience with that system, I wouldn't say it's unplayable. Difficult, yes. Relying on a lot of off-the-cuff calls and house ruling, yes. Painful and nonsensical at times? Absolutely.

But during those times you were able to push the system out of the forefront of your mind and focus on the game, it was a decent enough game engine. You roll percentile against your skill to do a thing, you roll a d20 over Armor to hit a thing, it ran quite a bit like old D&D in that regard. Of course, it was never very long before some stupid brokenness ground the game to a screeching halt. But we just patched and moved on.

So I guess in some respects, playing at strictly RAW, it was unplayable. But in practice, it wasn't. It depends on how one defines "unplayable."

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alpha-Omega. Maybe it's playable but the system was such a pain to work through.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have to give a shout out to Arduin Eternal for forced recalculations, excessive widgets and subsystems, and for having an entire character class based around running businesses, and no rules for running businesses, despite having a wealth of overly-detailed rules for a bunch of other stuff.

Anything based on the Tri-Tac system, such as Fringeworthy, also deserves a mention. A friend rants here and here about it.

Top Bottom