• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the least playable RPG?

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
I think Darren's review of FATAL holds the prize.

And of course his rebuttal to Byron's "rebuttal".

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The DC Universe game from WEG had the potential to become nigh unplayable with certain characters. It was designed for playing very low level characters (the rules specifically pointed out that the example character of Tim Drake/Robin was built on 3x the dice of a starting PC) but the game fell apart rapidly if you wanted to play the Justice League. The Flash especially. A regular character would get one action per combat round whereas the Flash got 180 actions per round. That’s unplayable territory for me.
I had some friends that ran that with high-level supers. They accidentally removed Montana, once.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
DC Universe game. Was that the one that used a chart in which every increase of one point would double the value?

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
DCU Super-Speed was such an amazingly stupid idea in practical terms I'm utterly astonished it survived to publication. Its probably literally the stupidest mechanic I've ever seen, and I've been a fairly omniverous game collector for over 40 years now.
Especially as you also had the risk of your character “dying” in chargen if you tried to be too powerful with Speed Manipulation and became lost in the Speed Force.
DC Universe game. Was that the one that used a chart in which every increase of one point would double the value?
Nope, that was DC Heroes by Mayfair. DC Universe used the d6 system.
...Ah. So somebody getting 180 actions in one round is as stupid as it sounds.

And I never got what the Speed Force was meant to be about. Why did they need a separate thing to explain super-speed? Nobody needed a Strength Force of a Flight Force, or a Heat Force.
And why make it something that could kill the speedster?

Davies

Validated User
And I never got what the Speed Force was meant to be about. Why did they need a separate thing to explain super-speed? Nobody needed a Strength Force of a Flight Force, or a Heat Force.
And why make it something that could kill the speedster?
Because that was how it worked in the comics of the time, which the game tried to emulate. And the reason it appeared there was that that was the story that the writer wanted to tell.

Zaleramancer

Social Justice Warlock
Validated User
Has anyone tried to play Wisher, Theurge, Fatalist? Or are we counting that as "game-adjacent semi-joke" instead of an actual game?
I've had a chance to play Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist twice. It's a rather strange, obtuse game that is 80% self-parody and 20% game design insights. The rule-set is filled with things that make very little sense, but the setting has the characteristic fantastic whim. There are some parts of the game that are purposefully never defined, like how to make confidence rolls (which is referenced in the example of play in the book), but those problems provoke the players to use some of the extant parts of the rules set. The question of, "how does one use this mechanic" can be answered by rolling Insight to dictate how it works.

Approached like that, it is playable.

Top Bottom