• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the least playable RPG?

Alban

Validated User
Old french game Légendes had a very simple basis (roll 1d20 under skill, quality of success is determined by margin of success -why make things simple and just use the die roll ?), but when you add options, it is nearly implayable, with things like hand-to-hand combat requiring many arithmetic computation, with formulas depending on maximum carrying capacity, maximum pulling capacity, maximum pushing capacity, and maximum lifting capacity (yes, those are distinct numbers, whose values depend on your current health state...).

Its second edition (translated as Celtic Legends) was much, much simpler.

Last edited:

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
Aria.
I’ve never even seen anybody claim to have played it which is where it beats Alpha Omega, which I have seen people claim to play and even enjoy.

I have never played Powers & Perils but it does seem to still have a small fanbase and I’d be perfectly willing to give it a go.

Aftermath is difficult and needlessly complicated but far from unplayable.

I don’t see how Palladium Fantasy even made it into this thread - it’s one of the most playable and straightforward games I can think of. Especially 1e.

Dangerous Journeys has some pretty convoluted writing but isn’t difficult to play at all.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Least playable game I ever had was Megatraveller
I bought this because I liked traveller but never got all the little black books and it was a MASS of errata. Half-finished rubbish imho.

Angel of the Dawn

Validated User
Aftermath is difficult and needlessly complicated but far from unplayable.

I don’t see how Palladium Fantasy even made it into this thread - it’s one of the most playable and straightforward games I can think of. Especially 1e.

Dangerous Journeys has some pretty convoluted writing but isn’t difficult to play at all.
Disappointingly, some people are conflating "difficult/unpleasant to play" with "unplayable" so they can take potshots at their least favorite systems. 😕

Gee4orce

Validated User
T5 (Traveller). It's not a game, as far as I can tell - it's a 500 page set of subsystems.

LuciusAlexander

PalindromedaryRider
Validated User
The very first, original, three little booklet, D&D.

How anyone ever got a playable game out of it I don't understand.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary couldn't make heads or heads out of it.

Top Bottom