• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is the least playable RPG?

flump

Validated User
I'm not pretending it's the most difficult game to get going... But even the fans of Shadowrun think it's a mess of a system.

the cat

Drone
Validated User
You mean the one where your base power level was d66 x 100? So you could have an 1100 or a 6600 power level in the same party?
That one was the r.talsoroan one. Yep. Power level was randomly rolled as was your character's species. But it was more 110 - 660 IIRC - making it possible to have a power up stat higher than your actual power level if you rolled low enough.

Dalillama

Validated User
If you scrub all that out of FATAL, I don't think you have a functioning system.
To he fair, it's not a functioning system to begin with.

Tax: It's been long enough that the details have fled my mind, but I recall World of Synnibar being a hot mess in every regard, packaged in a sourcebook that could be used as a murder weapon.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Tax: It's been long enough that the details have fled my mind, but I recall World of Synnibar being a hot mess in every regard, packaged in a sourcebook that could be used as a murder weapon.
I seem to recall Synnibar being a fairly simple percentile system, albeit with supremely busted weapons and armor rules (would you like the laser rifle that does 1d6x30 damage or the one that does 5d8x300 damage? You might need the bigger one if your enemy has the DR 5000 armor) and a wonky-as-hell magic system. It was more the setting that was absolutely nutso.

ORtrail

Validated User
Any edition of Jorune had at least a clunky game system, but the third edition is probably unplayable as written. I'll never not love the setting and art though.

GrahamWills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
A lot of things contribute to unplayability. For me there is an objective answer in terms of characters brought to the table built by the rules that the GM asked not to play - this would be literally unplayable characters. The clear winner there is HERO, where I have a 25% success rate. Second would be Classic Deadlands, which I am running now and have had to veto a couple of ideas out of eight or so. Third would be versions of D&D between 3.0 and 4.0. These are systems where the rules naturally lead to unplayable games.

A second marker would be the frequency during play with which I internally go "AAARGH! WHY ARE PLAYING THIS STUPID SYSTEM! WHY DOES IT DO THINGS LIKE THIS!" (yes, my internal monolog sometimes goes into all caps). The winner here, with no competition is Palladium. It so dominates this category I'm not mentioning second place because it implies some level of similarity of degree.

A third way of thinking of it would be system that I cannot persuade people to play, so unplayable in a fairly literal sense. My group are very open to new things, so based on current experience, it's pretty much Pathfinder 2 which no-one is willing to try.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
R. Talsorian games Dragon Ball Z. The character creation rules are such that PCs cannot raise certian stats...yet named characters have these stats way beyond what is allowed. A later q and A said these were "boosted" but the core book does not state that you can boost these either.

That and the game breaks down once characters get beyond the 3d6 bell curve that instant fusion is based on.
"Your fighting score is 100? Well my Death trooper has 120 base evasion. You will likely never hit me"

Humorously enough the other RPG version of the game based loosely on palladium we found was more playable.
I persuaded my wife to try that one once early in our marriage. She may have forgiven me by now, and we're coming up on our 20th.

Dalillama

Validated User
For me there is an objective answer in terms of characters brought to the table built by the rules that the GM asked not to play - this would be literally unplayable characters.
That's at least partially down to the GM, though. A particular GM not wanting a particular character in their game doesn't mean the character isn't playable in a different campaign with a different GM.

Top Bottom