• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro What is your favorite quote in an RPG book?

Mr_Sandman

Validated User
I've always been fond of these entries from the GURPS 4th edition Basic Set equipment list:
Pole, 6’ (TL0). For pitching tents, fishing, or prodding items. $5, 3 lbs.
Pole, 10’ (TL0). For things you wouldn’t touch with a 6’ pole. $8, 5 lbs.

Knightsky

Making wizards funky again
Validated User
Living Steel has already been quoted many times, but along with its predecessor the Spectrum Small Arms book, the Leading Edge Games books are such a target-rich environment for quotes that I'm going to throw out some more:

"Don't think of it as being vastly outnumbered. Think of it as having a very wide shot selection."

"Oh, stop your whining. You've got another leg."

"Just another tragic case of terminal kinetic energy poisoning."

"Seeing as I'm right, and you disagree, you must be wrong."

"Even now on the eve of election day, the campaign battle is undecided. But inside sources say Generalissimo Puerco's forces have a strong lead holding 26 of the 31 registered ballot stations."

"Today is election day and we encourage all citizens to vote NO with the weapon of their choice."

"We are pleased to announce that Generalissimo Puerco, alias Johnathan Sunshine, alias Ronald Reasonable, alias None Of The Above, has won the election by a unanimous vote."

"In a surprise move to show that he too is making sacrifices, his excellency El Puerco has blown up his presidential palace."

"This is not a coup, Parliament still makes all the decisions. We're just here to make sure they make the right ones."

"Today's forecast calls for heavy contact along the northern outskirts, strong probes throughout the neutral zone, and scattered artillery barrages throughout the evening."

"We could at least have a cease fire long enough to loot the dead and wounded."

"If you cooperate we'll reduce the charges from hit and run murder to littering."

"...and grenades are also useful for digging foxholes, removing unwanted shrubbery, unclogging drains..."

"Standing behind the girl won't do you any good, she'll only stop 3 points." (this one was my sigfile for a while back in the BBS days)

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
The Theron Marx Society manual for CoC investigators had a section on the importance of coded communications, headed with the combat quote from a society member (Whose name, alas, evades me) of "More bowling balls! More bowling balls!"

Now it should be pointed out that one of the earlier sections of the same work deals with the usefulness of various weapons in defeating mythos creatures. The quote for that section is "More dynamite! More dynamite!"

It's not often that I have laughed while reading CoC stuff, but that one particularly sticks in my memory as not only an excellent pair of quotes for young and often overly gungho investigators to keep in mind, but one of the few running gags in a gaming book that I can recall decades later after reading them.

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
Living Steel has already been quoted many times, but along with its predecessor the Spectrum Small Arms book, the Leading Edge Games books are such a target-rich environment for quotes that I'm going to throw out some more:

"Don't think of it as being vastly outnumbered. Think of it as having a very wide shot selection."

"Oh, stop your whining. You've got another leg."

"Just another tragic case of terminal kinetic energy poisoning."

"Seeing as I'm right, and you disagree, you must be wrong."

"Even now on the eve of election day, the campaign battle is undecided. But inside sources say Generalissimo Puerco's forces have a strong lead holding 26 of the 31 registered ballot stations."

"Today is election day and we encourage all citizens to vote NO with the weapon of their choice."

"We are pleased to announce that Generalissimo Puerco, alias Johnathan Sunshine, alias Ronald Reasonable, alias None Of The Above, has won the election by a unanimous vote."

"In a surprise move to show that he too is making sacrifices, his excellency El Puerco has blown up his presidential palace."

"This is not a coup, Parliament still makes all the decisions. We're just here to make sure they make the right ones."

"Today's forecast calls for heavy contact along the northern outskirts, strong probes throughout the neutral zone, and scattered artillery barrages throughout the evening."

"We could at least have a cease fire long enough to loot the dead and wounded."

"If you cooperate we'll reduce the charges from hit and run murder to littering."

"...and grenades are also useful for digging foxholes, removing unwanted shrubbery, unclogging drains..."

"Standing behind the girl won't do you any good, she'll only stop 3 points." (this one was my sigfile for a while back in the BBS days)
I came here to mention these and found Knightsky Knightsky has beaten me to it. Well done!
And don’t forget the Amphicaine Corps recruiting slogan: “The few, the proud, the criminally insane - the Amphicaine Corps!”

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Over the Edge, by contrast, had:

"All references to vices and to the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. Over the Edge does not promote satanism, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes towards the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
Didn't it specifically say the players were supposed to chant that in unison while standing naked around a table with a lit candle?

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Call of Cthulhu, in its description of attributes, says what happens to the an Investigator if they reach zero. The one for SIZ reads, "Presumably if Investigators lose all SIZ, they disappear - goodness knows to where."

Davies

Validated User
D&D Expert Rulebook (1983)

The Museum: Young Ian, son of the local
blacksmith, is also a taxidermist, and buys
monster heads and parts to preserve them
for his collection. He opens his museum, and
one strange-looking head draws the attention
of the characters visiting the place. For a fee,
he will check his records to see who brought
it in, and from where. With this logical
method, you can introduce a newly created
monster along with clues to its location. And
everyone comes to know that many interesting
bits of information can be found at the
Museum of the Smith’s son, Ian.

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
From GURPS Fantasy Folk, second edition:

"Orcs do not have to be played as maniacs, but they will tend to attract players whose tastes run in that direction."

Top Bottom