• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What is your favorite viking/old Norse RPG?

kross

Validated User
I've always been a big fan of the old Vikings supplement for RuneQuest 3. Still have my boxed set, have used its excellent bibliography to track down any number of fine volumes on Norse-related history. GURPS Vikings is also good, in spite of its sometimes dismissive attitude toward the types of Hollywood tropes that many people (myself included) associate with viking/Norse roleplaying adventures.

Dampfish

Poisson mouillé
Validated User
The only viking-related RPG I've played is one just called Viking by NeoGames (it's in Swedish).
It tries to be more historically accurate, but as I remember it I didn't like the rules too much. It's been a long time since I played it, though, so I could be misremembering.

Raleel

Validated User
depends on the style of game

for a realistic game, I would do the Legend Vikings supplement + Mythras. Gritty, steeped in culture, great stuff
For a mythological game, I would do fate of the norns: ragnarok. you literally draw runes from a bag for your random element, no dice at all. Plays like a skirmish game combined with a card game. heavy on the myth here - you can turn into 3m wolves and 5m bears.

Skaorn

Validated User
GURPS Vikings is also good, in spite of its sometimes dismissive attitude toward the types of Hollywood tropes that many people (myself included) associate with viking/Norse roleplaying adventures.
I don't think it's a bad thing to be hard on tropes that show you really haven't tried to do the research on any cultures you want to use. For Vikings, it's kind of sad that one of the better depictions of them was from the cartoon Gargoyles (not saying it wasn't a great cartoon though). You still tend to see horned helmets and depictions of Thor that are closer to Marvel's Thor. It's also kind of embarrassing to show up to a game where you're prepared to burn a rival's hall and slaughter the people as they run out and someone else wants to challenge them to honorable combat during the day. So awkward...

Greville

Validated User
Mine is Mythic Iceland, released as a supplement for BRP. Half the book is about Icelandic society, Norse religion, and adventure seeds. There's rules for law suits, raiding, trading, ship combat, rune magic, and the hidden people.

It is my favourite RPG supplement in my collection. The character sheet is a bit pants; I just rolled my own.

nos4artu

Educationalist.
Validated User
I rather like Sagas of the Icelanders. It does a nice job of showing how brutally hard life was back then. For a more horror/fantasy setting it’s got to be the Wolf and the Raven setting from Chronicles of Darkness Dark Eras. If it’s wrong to want to run a game with Werewolves battling Grendel during the sack of Lindisfarne, then I don’t want to be right. Plus I can work in staggering amounts of plot from Bernard Cornwell’s Saxon novels and most of Giles Kristian’s oeuvre. Spear Danes and sword Norse vs the fyrd of Northumbria, only with bound draugr, Wolf-warriors and the spirits of those drowned in the North Sea. Awesome. :D

bottg

Validated User
As is fairly usual, if i want a specific game, i look around and read extant publications and if i cannot find it, i write it. Therefore my favourite viking style game is Vikingr: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/243681/Vikingr

I had been watching Vikings on tv, and so i included rules for ships and warbands as characters, runes, rituals and so forth. I wanted something where the combat was fairly brutal and there was a mystical edge, but also something fairly easy to play and adaptable.

Top Bottom