• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

What makes your favorite?

Vincent Takeda

Chilllin in Rifts Denmark
Validated User
What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
Characters: they evolved during play. The might have set out as naive optimists, but ended up as tragic anti-heroes (I'm a sucker for tragedy)
Classes: I seldom play games with classes, but I want my character to have cool, useful abilities. Preferably something that makes him useful for the whole group. I also like to play classes against the grain: Dwarf wizards with warhammers and breastplates, Crab Clan duellists etc
Races: I like races that are down-to-earth realists, and I avoid poser races. So dwarves, gnomes, humans
Campaigns: Every last one of my favorite campaigns had a proper ending. Something that tied up all the loose threads and came to a conclusion (for good or ill). The End is a vastly underappreciated part of storytelling.

J.J.

Arduin Survivor
Validated User
Characters: Usually the evolution of the character. Having them develop into something worthy of being a "main character" in a story. This isn't necessarily about power, but the way the character lives and interacts with their world. They're best when I get them to the point where I originally planned them to be and get to play that for a while. I don't mind zero to hero, but you gotta let me get to hero.

Classes: I don't really have something for this. I don't really play games with classes and then usually just the "fighter" type because I don't want to hassle with a bunch of sub-systems and I generally dislike magic and mage types. I'm in a class using game now and I just ended up with the thug fighter dude. Easy to do when half your group can be counted on to be the wizard or the elf ranger.... every time. So I guess fighter/warrior because it annoys me the least.

Races: I almost always choose human. I dislike elves from the annoying elf D&D players I knew way back when. Dwarves don't appeal to me, at all, and all the other standard races I find to be silly. This differs, naturally, with all the myriad games and races out there but I'm much more likely to play a non-human in a sci fi game as long as they don't look dumb or have some sort of socially crippling issue. In the game I'm currently playing in, everyone's a drow so I'm a drow (my first and likely last time ever to play such a thing).

Campaigns: Longevity. I expect campaigns to last a while, not just a few months. I like the universe to develop, I like my character to develop and it's best when I get the character developed (either through mechanics or gameplay) to what I set out for in the beginning. Too many campaigns have ended before I ever got to play the character I wanted to from the start, so they need to end sometime after that. To be honest, as long as everyone is having fun I'm perfectly happy with them never ending. I played in one campaign for a couple decades and not much can hold a candle to it.

manwhat

Formerly 'buggritall'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Characters: Well, for NPCs, that they're interesting, fun to portray, give nice hooks, and if you really wanna kill them off it gives a clear direction as to what might happen next. For characters... most of the same, really.

Classes: That they're all equally interesting and fight to play. PbtA stuff does it right as an example. Never again do I want to see a "simple fighter".

Races: Easily reskinnable and reverse-engineered.

Campaigns: An eye towards being playtested, and actually being playable to completion without chewing through PCs. My gold standard for this is Eyes of the Stone Thief right now, which unlike many 'megadungeons' shows signs of actually being playable and interesting, unlike so much shitty OSR material (not to imply all OSR is shitty - just that there's a trend, with crap like Blue Medusa and Death Frost Doom) where the correct answer is "don't touch anything".

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
I am exclusively a GM, never a player. I like games that have a clear sense of what the players do (an interesting setting plus a task resolution system is not enough for me; I want a mechanical framework specifically designed to facilitate a particular mode of play). I like campaigns where the players buy in by being able to give input into the game world, both in terms of the larger setting and the immediate scenario. I like games that give enough context and hooks for the action and story to be player-driven. And I like task resolution mechanics that drive the drama forward, not just rules to tell you if you succeeded or not.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
> What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
I'm damn near always the DM, so I had only one recurring character from the past decade or so... it's a halfling bard in a D&D 5th Ed game. I liked playing him as a headstrong little observer. His goal was to be a renowned bard, so he picked a group of adventurers to follow around under the assumption that people would want to hear the epic ballads of their glorious adventures, and he composed songs and poems of their forays that he'd perform when the party returned to civilization. He wasn't terribly into the idea of adventuring himself; he thought of himself more as an embedded war correspondent, going into the action just to get the story. He'd often egg his compatriots on to undertake stunningly bad endeavors, just for the sake of 'making the story better'. ("Just go draw a mustache on the sleeping ogre with some ash from his camp fire. C'mon, it'll be funny!")

> What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
I've always liked the rogue/ Jack of All Trades concepts. I enjoy the clever, tricky ones rather than the bold or overtly powerful ones. I'm always bards, or rogues, or gamblers, or smugglers, or whatever archetype best lets my PC be creative. I like skills and spells that are deceptive, or subtle, or sly. My characters like to outwit, out-think, and outclass their opponents.

> What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
I tend to play the "boring" old human, really, every decade or so when I actually get to play a game... although I enjoy the clever little folk sometimes, such as my aforementioned halfling, or the gnome monk I made a few years back for one game. I guess I just most easily picture my PC as a human, or one of the races considered clever, due my enjoyment of the types of characters I prefer.

> What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?
My favorite hands-down all -time was a 1st Ed D&D campaign I retired a few years back, after running it for a quarter-century or so. Over the long years, my players and I really brought that world to life, adding so many details, and with the PCs participating in so many world-influencing adventures as they developed. It was truly amazing how many stories we created over the decades in that land. It had everything an epic high fantasy campaign should have. It rocked out, forsooth.

Tom B

Validated User
Characters:
As others have said, I enjoy having a character that evolves. More than that, though, my favorite characters managed to have a life of their own apart from the group. They had connections, a history, and goals that exist whether or not they're with the group. One of my favorite characters left the group. Not because I was tired of him, but because his path could no longer be with the group if he wanted to achieve his dreams.

Classes:
I don't usually play games with classes. I tend to play scientists, inventors, mages, rogue-types. Occasionally a fighter. I guess I prefer vocations that allow some variation in their goals and interactions.

Races:
I tend to play humans. I'm comfortable with humans and know how to play one. Mostly. If I tried to play my conception of an Elf or Caitian or whatever, I've found it tends to irritate the other players. Of course, I used to enjoy that to some degree. These days, humans.

Campaigns:
Campaigns where the GM isn't trying to show how he can outsmart the players. Long campaigns with plenty of time and room to pursue goals the group wants to pursue as opposed to whatever scenario the GM has lined up next. Games where the GM doesn't use "genre tropes" as an excuse to screw over the players and prevent them from succeeding.

Adeps

Validated User
1 What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
2 What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
3 What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
4 What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?
1 - Some combination of potential and memory. I love characters that I have some enthusiasm for because of what I could do with them, and I love characters that I have fond memories of because I've played in fun, memorable games with them.

2 - My favourite classes tend to the ones who have the most scientific explanation. I'm a little unimaginative, I admit that, and it becomes a lot easier for me to picture a wizard (person learns how the universe works, discovers neat trick that adds cheat code to the universe) than it is for me to imagine a warlock (person asks other being for magic powers, and is given them - so where did other being get the power giving power to begin with!?) and so on. I also prefer intelligent characters in general, so that tends to either mean magic user, or science officer, depending on the setting. Possibly other things (I have a pretty cool smart thief in mind for a Leverage one-shot I'll be in soon), but those are the main types.

3 - My favourite races are the ones that have plenty of stereotypes applied to them by default, so that I can play the stereotype's complete antithesis. Elf who lives in a mine and is perfectly happy to fling fireballs at a forest to burn out the goblin tribe. Klingon who left the Empire to become a soft-spoken Federation psychiatrist because all other Klingons are violent dullards.

4 - Campaign-wise, most of my favourites have been very-well run versions of the archetypal campaigns. I know I just espoused the virtues of playing against stereotypes for your race, but a campaign is something very different. Stereotyping an individual is bad because everybody is a person in their own right (making completely stereotypical PCs and NPCs seem laughable) but campaign cliches are cliches for a reason. When done well, they work perfectly. Defeat that dragon. Rescue that royalty. Take that treasure. You don't need to change it up every time.

(I personally "change it up" by switching around between space opera games like Star Trek, to fantasy games, like D&D, to cyber-fantasy like Shadowrun using Savage Worlds and avoiding any "empathy loss for cybernetics" rule systems, and so on.)

Daydreamer

Twin Son of the Bright Prince
Validated User
My Favorite Characters: These would be the ones who I was really able to bring to life. Most of them were comic relief without being JUST comic relief. These are the characters whose nuances and quirks became clear to me soon after chargen, and who developed and grew over the course of the campaign.

My Favorite Class: For some reason, the Paladin has always spoken to me. Maybe it's the ideal of being a moral and physical paragon.

My Favorite Races: I usually play as humans, but when I'm writing up a setting I have a soft spot for races that keep themselves close to nature. High Elves get on my nerves pretty much immediately, but Wood Elves are alright.

My Favorite Campaigns: Like Arkat, I like to have a good ending. In my ideal campaign, every plot event builds up to the final confrontation in the climax, and after that there is closure--even if not "happily ever after"--for the main characters.

randlathor66

Validated User
I am one who likes a certain amount of variety, so my tastes can change from time-to-time, but the following is some in-general preferences.
What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
My characters tend to have character be their character, not race as character, which is something I find all too often. In other words: personality traits are character, not being a gnome, elf, half-orc, etc... Also, I am almost always Good, I don't like evil campaigns and don't want to ever utter the phrase, "so I rape and kill them all -not necessarily in that order", or anything like in a game. (I don't want to hear that at any game table I am playing at either.) I classify selfishness as evil, so the very greedy characters are out too. (This one has become a hard rule for me and I don't stray from this anymore.)
What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
I tend towards action classes, but ones that can be augmented in some way, like: warrior-mages, ranges, paladins, monk, arcane archer, psychic-warrior, Jedi, dabbler (mage-thief in Rolemaster), etc... Though lately I have been getting the itch to play the full wizard type.
What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
I tend towards human, because I am one and I feel that I can more accurately portray them and get into their heads better. I have come to feel that non-humans would be too alien to truly portray, and the more different the more alien.
What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?
I haven't been in too many campaigns (combination of moving around a lot and generally being the GM), but I like campaigns that start small and end big. (Just not THE BIGGEST EVAR!!! Because where do you go from there?) Also, I have come to really like campaigns that include world-social change as an aspect. Specifically the PCs place in the social structure. I mean, really. You go off and defeat the big-bad, people are going to treat you differently. Heck, they are going to treat your whole family differently. Sometimes this difference is good, sometimes bad, oftentimes both. To me, exploring the altering social dynamic between the PC(s) and the world around them is very interesting; those moments when they realize things (including them) have changed are "character moments" I like more than defeating the enemy and stuff like that.

Top Bottom