• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

What makes your favorite?

What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
I was initially going to echo most, that it was the progression, the fleshing out of a character from barebones concept to realised individual over time. But then I realised my all time favourite character was John Ronin, the katana-wielding, trenchcoat-wearing, motorbike-riding, eyepatch-having vampire badass who was taken pretty much directly from White Wolf's description of a problem player.
So ultimately it has to be the sense of fun around a character, I've played many who are better, more realisitic, well-rounded or tragic but none I've enjoyed as much.

What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
Sweet buffs for your bros and cool tricks, in a real class-based game like DnD where I'm dungeon-bashing.
Archetype wise, something evocative, I'm not super into magic but when I do it I prefer it to be of the divine stripe, I'm not super into science but when I do I prefer it to be... the divine stripe (AdMech et al). Generally I prefer to play the brawn rather than the brains as I feel there's more flexibility in those concepts.

What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
They're not elves. They dislike elves. They grind elves up and make soup from their bones. Y'know, not elves.
Apart from that I generally like the BIG guys, or the little guys, ogres and hobbits and the like, something where the physical realities they face change how they approach the world in a meaningful way.

What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?
Generally them running long enough to be able to really get a feel for the characters and a meaningful bond between them. To go back to the John Ronin game, that campaign was gonzo as all heck at points, but the party grew genuinely close and, ultimately, literally went through Hell for one another, they'd become much more than just a few folk facing things at the same time, that was super cool to me.

mongrel gm

open to ideas
Validated User
> What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
I'm damn near always the DM, so I had only one recurring character from the past decade or so... it's a halfling bard in a D&D 5th Ed game. I liked playing him as a headstrong little observer. His goal was to be a renowned bard, so he picked a group of adventurers to follow around under the assumption that people would want to hear the epic ballads of their glorious adventures, and he composed songs and poems of their forays that he'd perform when the party returned to civilization. He wasn't terribly into the idea of adventuring himself; he thought of himself more as an embedded war correspondent, going into the action just to get the story. He'd often egg his compatriots on to undertake stunningly bad endeavors, just for the sake of 'making the story better'. ("Just go draw a mustache on the sleeping ogre with some ash from his camp fire. C'mon, it'll be funny!").
Best bard back story I’ve ever heard of.

Top marks.

Vincent Takeda

Chilllin in Rifts Denmark
Validated User
What about your favorite characters makes them your favorite characters?
I was initially going to echo most, that it was the progression, the fleshing out of a character from barebones concept to realised individual over time. But then I realised my all time favourite character was John Ronin, the katana-wielding, trenchcoat-wearing, motorbike-riding, eyepatch-having vampire badass who was taken pretty much directly from White Wolf's description of a problem player.
So ultimately it has to be the sense of fun around a character, I've played many who are better, more realisitic, well-rounded or tragic but none I've enjoyed as much.

What about your favorite classes makes them your favorite classes?
Sweet buffs for your bros and cool tricks, in a real class-based game like DnD where I'm dungeon-bashing.
Archetype wise, something evocative, I'm not super into magic but when I do it I prefer it to be of the divine stripe, I'm not super into science but when I do I prefer it to be... the divine stripe (AdMech et al). Generally I prefer to play the brawn rather than the brains as I feel there's more flexibility in those concepts.

What about your favorite races makes them your favorite races?
They're not elves. They dislike elves. They grind elves up and make soup from their bones. Y'know, not elves.
Apart from that I generally like the BIG guys, or the little guys, ogres and hobbits and the like, something where the physical realities they face change how they approach the world in a meaningful way.

What about your favorite campaigns made them your favorite campaigns?
Generally them running long enough to be able to really get a feel for the characters and a meaningful bond between them. To go back to the John Ronin game, that campaign was gonzo as all heck at points, but the party grew genuinely close and, ultimately, literally went through Hell for one another, they'd become much more than just a few folk facing things at the same time, that was super cool to me.
Favorite so far. I mean I'm all for 'my favorite was the one that gelled most or clicked most' or 'my favorite character is... the NEXT one...' and all that. But these here. They feel like they'd be my favorites too. Good details. Thank you.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
> "Best bard back story I’ve ever heard of."

Why, thank you. I was so find of him, I still have a little Lego figure representation on my bookshelf.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine who's been playing with us for about two years now has just decided to try his hand this Spring at DMing. He's already ok'd my idea for a gnome monk... :D

Top Bottom