What RPG companies actively seek submissions and proposals?

vivsavage

Independent Procrastinor
Validated User
Like many RPGers, I have long harbored a desire to write and create for the industry I love. What RPG companies are actively seeking or accepting submissions & proposals?

Jagash

Genesis of Legend
Validated User
Do you wish to write and create for the industry, or to for for one of the established companies? Freelance opportunities can be few and far between, but there are a lot of other ways to break in and open up those doors.

Mr_Sandman

Validated User
Steve Jackson Games has wish lists posted on their website, looking for authors for both GURPS products and submissions to Pyramid, their pdf magazine. Along with guidelines and instructions on how to make a proposal.

They recommend starting out with a proposal for a Pyramid article, if you never sold anything to them before.

vivsavage

Independent Procrastinor
Validated User
Do you wish to write and create for the industry, or to for for one of the established companies? Freelance opportunities can be few and far between, but there are a lot of other ways to break in and open up those doors.
Generally I'm looking to freelance for established companies as time allows, submitting adventures, articles, and so on. I've been trying to contact Troll Lord games but they are really hard to get ahold of. I know about self-publishing via DTRPG and so forth as well.

San Dee Jota

Validated User
Generally I'm looking to freelance for established companies as time allows, submitting adventures, articles, and so on. I've been trying to contact Troll Lord games but they are really hard to get ahold of. I know about self-publishing via DTRPG and so forth as well.
I suspect your best bet may be to self-publish, build a name for yourself, and go from there. Between all the OGL options out there now, it's a safe bet you can find a system that'll scratch your itch. Heck, go systemless if you like, or make a new system. Rinse and repeat until either people will recognize your name and give you work, or else you decide you don't need a company after all.

I mean, freelancers don't make much money, don't get health benefits and 401ks, and ultimately can go solo via Kickstarter if they insist on making a buck out the door. Honestly, you -might- consider releasing some awesome project or two for free; I suspect you're wanting to make at least -some- money for your work, but if Kickstarter proves too demanding or creatively restrictive (and it does for some) then releasing a product freely might generate more publicity and good PR than a successful Kickstarter would. Or not. It's just a thought, and quite possibly a bad one at that.

Jagash

Genesis of Legend
Validated User
Makes sense. Kobold Quarterly was a venue which sadly didn't last. Have you investigaed Gygax Magazine as a potential venue?

What are your systems of choice?

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
I suspect your best bet may be to self-publish, build a name for yourself, and go from there. Between all the OGL options out there now, it's a safe bet you can find a system that'll scratch your itch. Heck, go systemless if you like, or make a new system. Rinse and repeat until either people will recognize your name and give you work, or else you decide you don't need a company after all.

I mean, freelancers don't make much money, don't get health benefits and 401ks, and ultimately can go solo via Kickstarter if they insist on making a buck out the door. Honestly, you -might- consider releasing some awesome project or two for free; I suspect you're wanting to make at least -some- money for your work, but if Kickstarter proves too demanding or creatively restrictive (and it does for some) then releasing a product freely might generate more publicity and good PR than a successful Kickstarter would. Or not. It's just a thought, and quite possibly a bad one at that.
Agreed. I think to be successful via Kickstarter (I think - what do I know), you might want a little bit of a CV first. "From the woman who made the definitive space opera psionics handout for FATE, comes..." or "From the man who wrote one of the most beloved robots-in-suburbia-themed adventures for Savage Worlds of all time, comes..." sounds better than "I've got this cool idea and I've never done anything."

I've got a lot of opinions on the increasing problem of "free," but that's for another day. The truth is, make somethign small and high-quality and pimp it for free on that system's forums of choice. BAM! Instant portfolio.

M'ilk

Cute Cupcake Surprise
Validated User
If you are seriously considering writing as part of your livelihood you will have to improve your writing. I'm not trying to be snarky, but having command of the written word, being able to clearly express yourself, are prerequisites for properly communicating your intentions.

vivsavage

Independent Procrastinor
Validated User
Makes sense. Kobold Quarterly was a venue which sadly didn't last. Have you investigaed Gygax Magazine as a potential venue?

What are your systems of choice?
Than you for the suggestions; I hadn't considered Gygax Magazine. I'm most comfortable with Castles & Crusades and other 'rules light' fantasy systems.

Top Bottom