What RPG has the most historically accurate rules for ships...

advertise with rpgnet

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like Flashing Blades (and High Seas supplement). There are some other projects related to Flashing Blades out there that also make for a great game.

Unlike most pirate games, FB does not feel it needs to shoehorn in magic and fantasy elements. It is straight up historical with some easy to follow rules (written in an SPI/wargame style).

Rupert

Validated User
I was just about to say "Privateers & Gentlemen", but was ninjaed. In a pirate thread, of all places.

We had a lot of fun with those rules back in the day. Were very successful pirates until our brigantine was run down by a navy frigate and the wind was too strong for us to outrun it, but not so high as to preclude gunnery. Ooops.

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
GURPS Swashbucklers kept it fairly simple, but you could go very deep if you used GURPS Vehicles. Both books are from GURPS Third Edition, as the present edition has yet to get a true vehicle design system (Spaceships is quite abstract and more suited for sci-fi games than other genres).

corwyn_kop

Validated User
Pavillon Noir was supposed to be getting an English translation a few years ago. Last I heard it was put off until a new edition came out. I have not heard anything about it in quite some time so it may well be vapor-ware at this point.

Alban

Validated User
Pavillon Noir was supposed to be getting an English translation a few years ago. Last I heard it was put off until a new edition came out. I have not heard anything about it in quite some time so it may well be vapor-ware at this point.
Second edition took years to be completed, but it was finally released.
Unfortunately, its publisher has lots of Kickstaters to finish, and is very busy transating D&D 5th edition...

Top Bottom