What RPG has the most historically accurate rules for ships...

Talassa

Homo Ludens
Validated User
Pavillon Noir was supposed to be getting an English translation a few years ago. Last I heard it was put off until a new edition came out. I have not heard anything about it in quite some time so it may well be vapor-ware at this point.
I've came here to say this.

Gentleman Ranker

Validated User
Privateers and Gentlemen is available on DriveThru/RPGNow in PDF. The listing says it doesnt have Hearts of Oak (The Ship bit) but theres a reviewer who say it's in there, along with the sheet for printing out the little ship counters.
Don't know whether you can still get it on paper, It's FGU (Fantasy Games Unlimited) so they may still have old stock.

GR

Jon 45

Small but vicious dog
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The copy of Privateers & Gentlemen I got from Drivethru has Hearts of Oak (when it was on sale for $1!) .

(I was pleasantly surprised to learn the author also wrote Hardwired among other things).

Gentleman Ranker

Validated User
Ha! I didn't know that Jon. I liked Hardwired in my Cyberpunk days.

- Of course it's the author of the novel Hardwired as well isn't it. He contributed to the wild cards universe as well. Great writer! -

I had both the scenario packs for P&G as well and ran a relatively short campaign. I think they're set in different eras so I was probably on a hiding to nothing trying to force them into the same campaign. IIRC the ship scenarios are quite well integrated into the adventures and give you all the details to set them out. The system is relatively fuddly but not excessively so. I think I remember having to defend it from my more wargame-y players because it didn't differentiate between chain and roundshot, choosing instead to assume that the competent captain would select the right ammunition for the job at hand. Though I may be misremembering. I'd call it rules medium.
We had some good fun with it anyway, twenty five years ago, duels, amputations and dismasting the enemy and letting the wind drive them onto the rocks.

GR

[Edited to give Walter Jon Williams the respect due]

corwyn_kop

Validated User
Privateers and Gentlemen still shows as available in print from FGU. That is a single book edition as opposed to the original boxed set.

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
Pirates of Legend seems good to me and has very playable rules. It describes ships well and they seem accurate to me, but I am no expert.

Top Bottom