• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What rules for The Expendables?

arjunstc

Validated User
OK, so they are making The Expendables 4, which makes me want to GM a game like the movies in the franchise... but what rules?

I am looking for rules that can support all the tropes in the movies: the heroes gunning down mooks, who in turn can't hit anything; close-range throwing knives that never seem to run out; signature weapons; and most important of all, the boss hand-to-hand fight.

Now I imagine the first few can be done with Savage Worlds, but I think SW will struggle to do the final boss fight. I am hoping to find something that has more crunch/options when it comes to hand-to-hand combat, so it won't just end up being a series of die-rolls.

I've looked at a few martial arts/kung-fu themed card games, but none really appealed to me. However, as I expect this to be a short campaign (maybe 3 sessions), PC progression isn't a key, so a card-based game grafted onto the RPG rules is still an option. A system that allows multiple-opponents (i.e. not just one-on-one) in a fight will also be a bonus.

So what do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

zorg

Non-Registered User
Validated User
Wushu, obviously. Risus, of course. Action Movie World, probably.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
I know it is old and cheesy but Palladium's Ninjas and Super Spies hits the exact tropes you are going for.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Covert Ops with all the bells and whistles like the Gun-Fu optional rules would work too.

Mr_Sandman

Validated User
GURPS has the combat crunch to make the hand-to-hand boss fight really interesting and epic. It just takes a few of the optional Cinematic Combat rules in the Basic Set to get everything else you are looking for "Cannon Fodder" for mooks who go down with one hit; "TV Action Violence" to avoid being hit by those mooks and "Flesh Wounds" to make any hits that do happen 'just a scratch' (also "Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy" from Martial Arts, so mooks always miss with their first shot warning the PCs they are under attack); and apply "Infinite Ammo" to throwing knives.

tomas

Validated User
Covert Ops with all the bells and whistles like the Gun-Fu optional rules would work too
I'll second this recommendation and also suggest using the Hero System. Stripped down to the heroic level it hits your needs and plays fast.

Crothian

Validated User
I think I'd use Night's Black Agents and just ignore the supernatural parts. Characters are highly competent and have a variety of options.

Top Bottom