• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What rules for The Expendables?

Mister Gridlock

Validated User
Yeah, Dogs of War (Barbarians of Lemuria system) or Search & Destroy (Supers! Revised system). Totally got you covered.

Nooch

Validated User
I think I'd use Night's Black Agents and just ignore the supernatural parts. Characters are highly competent and have a variety of options.
I was going to suggest this myself. An "Investigative" system doesn't seem to mesh with what you're asking, but the thriller combat rules have just enough crunch where you have to consider mechanical consequences of your actions, while still encouraging some narrative input from the player. I've never had more fun with a martial arts character than I had with Night's Black Agents because it was so easy to improvise what I wanted to do.

arjunstc

Validated User
Thanks for all the suggestions! It's gonna take me a while to look up reviews of all the systems mentioned. 😅

The Convenient Skill

Fudge & FU Fanatic
Validated User
Also take a look at Magnum Fury, designed specficially for 80s style action movies. Which I know Expendables isn't but they both channel that experience.

To justfiy that selection, rather than dump and run. MF is sort of based on the PbtA system, in the partial/full success based on a 2d6+stat roll, the moves are out though. In fact imagine PbtA with a more trad playstyle. Instead of damage even is taken, or recovered, from a Grit pool which can be voluntarily spent to achieve what you want.

It's all pretty simple and good.

Top Bottom