• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What should happen on the MCU What-If show?

Gareth3

Validated User
Disney have announced that one of the shows on their new streaming service will be an animated series inspired by the Marvel What-If comics. It'll be an anthology series, showing alternate-universe versions of events in the MCU. One episode is rumoured to show Peggy Carter getting the Super-Soldier serum instead of Steve, for example. So, what bizarre variations on the MCU would you like to see? Since it's animated and each idea is only used for one episode, you can use whatever characters you want. No Endgame spoilers, please, especially as this is the one Disney+ show that can ignore Endgame entirely. Some of my ideas:

Ultron behaves himself. In the actual movie Ultron kills Jarvis two minutes after his creation. It would be interesting to explore everyone's reactions to him if he's not immediately hostile. Of course he could always turn bad in the end.

Spider-man kills the Vulture. That scene in the car was very frightening, with the Vulture holding a gun on Peter and threatening his life. So Peter just reaches out and and snaps his neck. Yes, it's out of character, but he was under incredible stress. And the aftermath would make a great episode.

Kaecilius doesn't kill anyone. The Dormammu cult from Doctor Strange has the strongest and most easily understood motivation in the entire MCU. It's very similar to religious ideas that have converted billions in the real world;"...whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." You could easily have Kaecilius converting not just Doctor Strange but anyone at at all, if the cultists didn't behave like your standard-issue murderous thugs. Make them sincerely non-violent and they'd be a real ideological threat.

Darcy gets the Aether, not Jane. Thor is just as likely to protect her as he was to protect Jane, but maybe she doesn't believe that. She uses her new superpowers to escape in a paranoid rage, and goes into hiding.

The seventh tribe of Wakanda. In real-world African history, people who look like Chadwick Boseman are not indigenous to Southern Africa. They moved there centuries ago, displacing shorter, lighter-skinned, sparse-haired people with completely unrelated languages. There's no mention of this in Black Panther, so in the actual MCU either this didn't happen or it happened too long ago to have any significance to modern Wakanda. But what if the original inhabitants were still around, still holding on as a marginalised seventh tribe? "Don't scare me like that, coloniser!"

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Original Wasp doesn’t disappear into the Quantum Realm, and her and Pym Ant-Man recruit people into an earlier form of the Avengers. Might be too high budget and actor intensive, though.

Last edited:

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
What if Star-Lord didn't lose his cool on Titan. I think the whole thing ends with everyone dead, but I want the episode so that when people say that Thanos winning in Infinity War was Star-Lord's fault I can point to that episode.

What if Howard the Duck got stranded on Earth in the 1980s? Basically, what if Howard the Duck was an actual part of the history of the MCU?

What if Captain America hadn't been frozen? Not like he fails to defeat the Red Skull, but he manages to land the plane safely.

They could do "What if Jane Foster got the power of Thor?" but I'm holding out hope for Darcy.

What if Captain Marvel helped the Guardians of the Galaxy defeat Ronan?

What if the Skrulls had settled on Earth?

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Original Wasp doesn’t disappear into the Quantum Realm, and her and Pam Ant-Man recruit people into an earlier form of the Avengers. Might be too high budget and actor intensive, though.
It's going to be animated, so outside of voice actors, the budget should be pretty stable regardless of what happens in an episode.

I'm guessing you meant Pym Ant-Man, but I'm trying to decide if I'd rather see Janet fighting alongside Pam from the Office or Pam from Archer. "What if the characters from The Office were the Avengers?"

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
Original Wasp doesn’t disappear into the Quantum Realm, and her and Pam Ant-Man recruit people into an earlier form of the Avengers. Might be too high budget and actor intensive, though.
I would like to give this episode 10/10 right now.

This is going to be an animated series, so the effects budget is not a major issue, and they can just cast voice actors to do their own take on the live-action MCU characters/actors.

My idea:

Tony never gets that cheeseburger.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
II'm guessing you meant Pym Ant-Man, but I'm trying to decide if I'd rather see Janet fighting alongside Pam from the Office or Pam from Archer. "What if the characters from The Office were the Avengers?"
Seeing how "What if" is going to be animated, they juts need some who can do a decent Micheal Douglas and some who can do decvent Michelle
Pfeiffer impresion.

We also know what he first episode will:
What Peggy got the Super Soldier Serum.

Which kind of been done in current Exiles
Size
Spoiler: Show

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Seeing how "What if" is going to be animated, they juts need some who can do a decent Micheal Douglas and some who can do decvent Michelle
Pfeiffer impresion.

We also know what he first episode will:
What Peggy got the Super Soldier Serum.

Which kind of been done in current Exiles
Size
Spoiler: Show

Wait, they kept her as Captain America? Did they ever give an explanation why? I’m not overly familiar with Captain Britain or Union Jack’s histories, but why not one of them?

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wait, they kept her as Captain America? Did they ever give an explanation why? I’m not overly familiar with Captain Britain or Union Jack’s histories, but why not one of them?
I don't know since I have read the new Exiles.
The most obvious explanation seems to be that Project Rebirth was a US project, not an allied, so if the UK wants Captain Britain they need to make their own (or as a multiversal Sorcerers or something).

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Just to clarify- not “why not a dude instead of Peggy Carter?”, just “why not one of those names?”

Top Bottom