• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What sort of impact would Saitama have on the MCU?

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Saitama is living in MCU Japan when he's inspired by the Avengers' battles with monsters in New York (i.e. the first Avengers movie) to begin his legendary training regimen of running 10km a day plus 100 daily push-ups, sit-ups, and squats. Flash forward a few years, and he's reached the same power level, appearance, personality, etc. he has in One Punch Man. With most of the villain/monster activity in the MCU occurring places other than Japan he decides to travel the world and try to join the MCU equivalent of the hero association, the Avengers. What happens? Assume he emerges on the scene sometime between the Avengers and Infinity War, that he somehow ends up with the moniker of "Caped Baldy" and the same general apathetic/unimpressive demeanor, and that his power level relative to the setting is consistent with his power level in OPM--i.e. he is just as capable of one punching any being in the MCU as he is his own opponents in his series, up to and including Thanos. What changes, for both him and for the MCU?

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I mean we basically don't have an MCU of note. Saitama just punches out every villain, the end.
Saitama's not exactly the most alert/observant guy, and he tends to be pretty preoccuppied with his own daily stuff until some problem is so on his radar he can't ignore it. He also can't fly/teleport, and while he does have super speed he rarely uses it as a means of transportation outside of fights. In other words, it would be pretty out of character for Saitama to zip all around MCU earth solving all the problems as they arise, let alone tackling cosmic threats as well. Someone like Thanos who every hero in the world is fighting? Sure, Saitama probably shows up and one punches him. But is he tackling someone like Killmonger, helping Strange with Dormammu, etc? Would someone like the Vulture ever even get on his radar? Would he take sides in Civil War? And how long would it take for the Avengers to figure out who he is and what he's capable of? Most people Saitama meets never catch on, but the Avengers are less oblivious than the hero association.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
We give Saitama a suit of Iron Man armor so he can fly places, and he ends every threat with a single punch.

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
Saitama's not exactly the most alert/observant guy, and he tends to be pretty preoccuppied with his own daily stuff until some problem is so on his radar he can't ignore it. He also can't fly/teleport, and while he does have super speed he rarely uses it as a means of transportation outside of fights. In other words, it would be pretty out of character for Saitama to zip all around MCU earth solving all the problems as they arise, let alone tackling cosmic threats as well. Someone like Thanos who every hero in the world is fighting? Sure, Saitama probably shows up and one punches him. But is he tackling someone like Killmonger, helping Strange with Dormammu, etc? Would someone like the Vulture ever even get on his radar? Would he take sides in Civil War? And how long would it take for the Avengers to figure out who he is and what he's capable of? Most people Saitama meets never catch on, but the Avengers are less oblivious than the hero association.
I was working off the statement of him being of a comparable relative power, aka "I show up and problems end."

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, in Saitama's universe, we haven't seen a lot of metaphysical or mental powers.

Can he be mind-controlled? Otherwise immune to telepathy?

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I was working off the statement of him being of a comparable relative power, aka "I show up and problems end."
At least part of that looks like more of a series trope and not a power. One punch doesn't do much against armies or someone like Loki, who can just throw illusions at him all day.

Okay, in Saitama's universe, we haven't seen a lot of metaphysical or mental powers.

That's the other issue. Presumably he's not immune to being unmade by the Reality gem. Presumably he's not immune to being mind controlled by Purple Man or Loki's staff. What about someone opening a portal to trap him in another dimension or space, as Kaecilius might do? If his powers are essentially invulnerability, super-speed (when he bothers with it), and a punch that would stop Juggernaut cold...he's still vulnerable to a lot of what Marvel villains might throw at him, and still seems like a poor solution to an army - Hulk might be the strongest Avenger, but when you need to take out an army, Thor is indisputably the best guy to do it in the main Avengers line-up. And he seems like more of a Hulk than a Thor.

"Better Hulk, worse Bruce Banner" could have an impact (I mean, presumably he could have just punched through the portal's invincible force-field in Avengers), but it doesn't seem as drastic as there not being an MCU. If anything, it just shifts the problems to less physically imposing kinds, and more clever ones, or ones with more mental/tricksy powers.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Oddly, Infinity War actually plays out almost exactly the same, only the ending (once Thanos gets to Earth) goes a lot different. :)

narm00

Validated User

Per a future arc in the webcomic, he has extremely high psychic resistance; he can be affected by a very strong psychic, but it has minimal effect on him. That said, the psychic in question figures out he can be dealt with by manipulating the environment around him, and dumps him into a crack in the earth, which gets him out of the way for a while.

Last edited:

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'd say yes he's immune.

Saitama, much like Squirrel Girl, is a joke character.
The narrative bends to his schtick.

A MCU version of Saitama might not have this schtick (much like MCU Hulk is neither "The Strongest there is", or does his rage-driven strength seem to have no upper limits). but he would not be the Saitama of the manga/Anime.

Top Bottom