• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What sort of information you look for in a non-exclusive license?

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
So, I've been flirting with the idea of licensing some of my works for non-exclusive usage. I've been approached by people interested in licensing my work in the past, but this will be the first time I make it available for non-exclusive licensing on my own initiative.

What sort of licensing information you seek when you're browsing artworks catalogs for your projects? I'm drafting a non-exclusive licensing agreement based on my regular exclusive-use license, and that's what I'll cover so far:

1. Whether the work can be used in commercial or non-commercial projects.
1.a) In what types of media, how many times/editions, in which conditions.
1.b) Placement in media (eg only interior illustrations).
1.c) License ownership and transference of rights.
2. Vetted usages as can't be sold, shared, etc.
3. Usage exclusivity and copyright claim (making sure the licensee understands it's non-exclusive and clarifying I'm not waiving my copyright claim).
4. Copyright disclaimer to be included with artwork.
5. Editing rights as can be cropped, color balanced, etc.

I'm also contemplating including a item vetoing the usage in projects that promote violence against real people, hate speech, etc; because no one wants to be associated or unwittingly condone infamous works like The-F-Game-That-Shall-Not-be-Named.

Did I forget anything?

Remember, I'm not asking for legal advice, I want to know what information you usually need to make an informed purchase of non-exclusive artworks.

Last edited:

Randall

Validated User
From my head right now:

Can I use it in a variaty of works?

How do I credit images properly?

Can I use it in commercial works? Credit works the same than in non-commercial?

Do I need to send info to somewhere? ( Like, a link to you to review the work)

Is there a guide of "I don't want this to be put in this kind of places"

It is ok/banned for this artwork to be a front cover?

Can the piece be modified/altered/cut (lile, zooming in a part I think fits something)

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Thanks for the reply! I think I got most of these covered. There's just a point I'm not sure if I understood correctly.

Can I use it in a variaty of works?
Those variants would be something like different editions of the same book; supplements of the same line (eg Game Master's Guide, Monster Manual); items directly related to the book like advertisement campaigns, prints, tokens; or a literal variant as "we decided to make a mobile game based in the book"?

I'm making a distinction of these in the license, and for now I'm of a mind to include only usage in internal illustrations in one book + reprints, erratas and new editions of it in any media + associated advertisement in any media in the standard license.

Every other usage is also up for licensing, but must be discussed apart and isn't included in the standard one since they wouldn't be for a single product, or with the exception of ads the same function (illustrate a block of text).

Randall

Validated User
Thanks for the reply! I think I got most of these covered. There's just a point I'm not sure if I understood correctly.

Those variants would be something like different editions of the same book; supplements of the same line (eg Game Master's Guide, Monster Manual); items directly related to the book like advertisement campaigns, prints, tokens; or a literal variant as "we decided to make a mobile game based in the book"?

I'm making a distinction of these in the license, and for now I'm of a mind to include only usage in internal illustrations in one book + reprints, erratas and new editions of it in any media + associated advertisement in any media in the standard license.

Every other usage is also up for licensing, but must be discussed apart and isn't included in the standard one since they wouldn't be for a single product, or with the exception of ads the same function (illustrate a block of text).
Yep, something like that, I have some images (were all comissions) that could be used for other stuff related, so every time I need to ask. Something that says "can be used in non-profit works as long as you reference this and that" makes things easier. Or just the "ask here if in doubt".

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Yep, something like that, I have some images (were all comissions) that could be used for other stuff related, so every time I need to ask. Something that says "can be used in non-profit works as long as you reference this and that" makes things easier. Or just the "ask here if in doubt".
A bit late because I was sick when I saw your reply and it ended slipping from my mind, but I'd like to thank you for mentioning non-profit works. I completely forgot to include anything about them!

Top Bottom