• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What superhero stories are left to adapt?

Gareth3

Validated User
Since we've just had the second live-action adaptation of the Dark Phoenix saga, I've been thinking about how many comic-book stories have been adapted and what's left over. We've had a lot, sometimes very loosely based on the comic. The Infinity Gauntlet, Doomsday, Civil War, Age of Ultron, and so on. Years ago someone was talking about the X-Men movies and how they should adapt the Kree-Skrull War. I thought that was ridiculous at the time, but we got that back in February, more or less. So what else is available to be adapted? It should be a specific superhero comic story, widely recognised as good or popular that hasn't been adapted in live action before. I assume almost everything has been used in animation. It doesn't need to involve characters that have already appeared, or even be from Marvel or DC.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The whole of western superhero comics?
I mean we've got 80 years of superhero comics, and many many Superheroes have never made it on screen, even if limit yourself to the big too.

Like Man Without Fear was never adapted, almost the whole of Fantastic Four (sense perhaps Coming of Galactus).
Heck the GotG as it currently stands is pretty much incompatible with Abnett and Landis cosmic Marvel (unless you do a "in name only" adaptastion like Age of Ultron): which givesn both Annihilation, War of the Kings. Through probably not Thanos Impestive since we're done with Thanos.

There are plenty more fish in the sea.

Dragonlover

Validated User
The Spiderman classic, The Clone Saga! Mainly because it's so insane I don't think anybody wants to try, although after several very lengthy conversations with my wife I think it might be doable, especially if given more than one film and some of the extraneous insanity towards the end gets trimmed out.

Dragonlover

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
I'd love the see the Matt Fraction & David Aja Hawkeye series adapted to a TV series.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Well I'm not sure western comics get strictly adapted into movies, they at best vaguely inspire (well unless you count the DC animated films). But that said, theres a metric fuckton.

I'd like to see the Batfamily story No Mans Land for instance.

On the Marvel side, I'd rather like to see Acts of Vengeance.

Of course a lot of the comic storylines I'd much rather see in TV form, simply because compressing long stories into 2-3 hrs is pretty dumb imo. I feel that way about attempts to try and handle the Phoenix Saga. Though I guess the animated adaption of that (which I expect will turn out to be a better version than the live action one) is fairly brief.

Last edited:

Shining Knight

Validated User
Crisis on Infinite Earths might be a bit much for one movie...

Goodwin and Simonson's "Manhunter" might work, especially as Batman teams up with him at the end.

The Thor-Hercules team-up from Thor # 125-130 could be fun, and there's the Mangog story from Thor # 154-157.

Jhary-a-Conel

Validated User
The Spiderman classic, The Clone Saga! Mainly because it's so insane I don't think anybody wants to try, although after several very lengthy conversations with my wife I think it might be doable, especially if given more than one film and some of the extraneous insanity towards the end gets trimmed out.

Dragonlover
That'd be nuts, bonkers and probably completely glorious. Plus, it would require some forward planning which would give it an edge over the comics.

Me, I want to see 'The Child Within' simply because it's so unlike anything that's ever been adapted to film and because it's so central to the Peter/Norman/Harry relationship the movies keep going back to.

(Quick Q: Has that story ever been reprinted anywhere?)

Monsieur Meuble

Furniture warlord
Validated User
There’s a whole vein of untapped plot in the "we don’t speak about that" decades. Onslaught ! Heroes reborn ! The various Secret Wars ! Death in the family ! Parallax !

Zenio

Validated User
For Marvel, It's three words: Kraven's Last Hunt.

For DC, it's only one: Sandman.

Top Bottom