• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What system and setting are you currently using, and how is your game going?

Baeraad

I'm so tiiiiirrreeeeed...
Validated User
Blue Rose (using Prose Descriptive Qualities System). My longest-running current campaign, with only one or two sessions left before the end. This is probably for the best - I don't feel I ever managed to bring this one to life properly. It took me too long to really figure out how to use the setting to decent effect, so the campaign went through a series of strange tonal shifts, from comedy to detective story to cosmic horror... it's been a weird, incoherent ride. :p It's been a learning experience in more ways than one, but I'm frankly grateful to soon be rid of it. We started using PDQS because I thought it would make it easier to focus more on story and not on distracting mundane details, and to an extent I guess it did that, but in the end the story turned out to not be all that interesting either. Oh well.

Blue Rose (using Savage Worlds). A solo game a friend of mine asked me to run for her. This one is going quite well and is probably the one that one that I feel comes the closest to "clicking" as a feel-good liberal fantasy yarn in the style of Mercedes Lackey or Tamora Pierce. It might seem a little strange to use a combat-heavy system for a game that is mostly about talking your issues out and getting along, but I look at it this way - since combat will probably not happen but might, I want a system that requires minimum prep time for it. ;)

Blue Rose (using the actual goddamn Blue Rose rules :p ). A play-by-post game I've been running for the last two years. I had a bit of a learning curve for this one too, but somewhere around the six-month mark I think I actually figured out how to manage it. It's got a somewhat bleaker tone than the first two, being set in an inhospitable land ruled by evil, and is probably the most "realistic" game I've ever run - I stopped trying to come up with plot threads a long time ago in favour of just coming up with complex situations and then letting the players explore them and fret over them. The system (which makes straightforward fights to the death not only dangerous but also kind of dull, but has a lot of abilities both mundane and arcane for assembling information and affecting your surroundings in non-hostile ways) seems to encourage that sort of thing.

Barbarians of Lemuria. Another play-by-post, and one I'm quite pleased with. The players have battled assassins, sorcerers, monsters, pirates and now the goons of a corrupt merchant prince. I hope that they will have slain the main villain and finally won the girl (for one of the characters) and the gold (for all of the characters) within another month of play or so. I am really extremely fond of both the rules and the setting, they get the job done remarkably smoothly. The characters are multi-competent enough that you can throw just about anything at them, and the background-and-career system really helps in giving each of them a unique and interesting backstory with a minimum of effort.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. Another solo game, which has unfortunately been on hiatus so long that the player might have lost interest. It revolves around an elven sailor from Ulthuan who has to negotiate for help from a Norse village after her ship got wrecked in a storm. This has caused her to run afoul of the village's self-proclaimed seer, who happens to need an elven heart for a dark ritual he hopes will force the chieftain to give him some respect. I'm really very fond of the system, though it's important to remember that it is best suited for black comedy games - things in the Warhammer World can and will go wrong in ways that are as humiliating as they are dangerous to life and limb, and it's best to just roll with that and realise that no one is going to end up looking especially cool except by sheer accident.

From this list you might draw the conclusion that I really like Blue Rose, and I really hate the Blue Rose system. :p Neither one is entirely accurate, though. I do like Blue Rose, but it's not actually that I'm so enamoured with it that I can't get enough, it's just that somehow, I've just turned into The Blue Rose Guy among the gamers I know, so one way or another I keep ending up playing it. And once I managed to internalise the rules I had to admit that they really were quite useful for a certain style of play, just not for the style of play that I tend to default to. You can run a really good game of gritty-yet-romantic heroism with it, where each character has their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses that they try to leverage into success in a complex and often dangerous world. It's just that that requires rather more prep than I'm willing to put in on a regular basis, so given the choice I tend to reach for something nice and simple where the PCs mostly just hit things with their swords. :p

Last edited:

Haseri

Validated User
Finished the third proper session of a Stars Without Number with my family, set in a randomly rolled up sector. They include a pilot who's taken Favoured Enemy: Pirates, literally a human Krombopulous Michael from Rick and Morty, a rebel doctor currently recovering from a grenade landing on him, a frat boy son of a senator precog/telekinetic, and a penguin-obsessed teleporter/telekinetic freed from the tyranny of the New Perimeter.

In their first session they were tasked by a corrupt Exchange Consulate (who had control of a whole Outer System of gas giants) guard, to pick up a Happy Pills shipment that had been stolen by the warlord/pirates of the outer system. Their first action in a little townstead was to obliterate the pirates who had come to inspect them with a sandcaster. They then proceeded to kill all but one of the pirates. They got a sweet Free Merchant out of it.

They then went to deliver scientific instruments to a research outpost in the middle of a xenotech nanite-created jungle. They were in a convoy with anti-personnel lasers on hover trucks, which I forgot to think about when designing the scenario. They put down a doomsday cult that had infiltrated the base, but gave it over in the face of overwhelming forces. Not before stealing the research and rigging it to explode.

Which leads us to last night. First things first they found two prospective buyers, corporations who had been frozen out of containment and research of the xenotech (who they were going to sell only half and offer to find the other half for a price). One was on the medic's home planet (where they have enslaved the population and got rid of all local industry) and the other protecting interstellar interests (said interests being the trade of sapient alien spider silk) on a planet currently undergoing a civil war. They opted for the latter, but going through another system first.

This system also had sapient aliens, but ones that mostly lived in harmony with humans (they look little like grell from D&D), apart from a bunch of religious zealots who believe humanity are not welcome on their planet. Now I had made a nice and simple distress beacon dungeon crawl through a disabled passenger liner. What I should have done is kept it an automated message, and not have them reply. The pilot and the assassin went off to talk to this little group's leaders, but the doctor and two psychics got a message from an infiltrator that there were alien civilians on board. Eventually it came to combat in the control room, which started with the doctor leaping from an access hatch from above, attempting to body slam one of the aliens. This failed. The pilot then threw a grenade, popping all the aliens but seriously injuring the doctor in the process. While getting him back to the ship, the assassin waltzed down the service corridor to the engine room and opened all the airlocks.

I need to plan less. They're going to be in the middle of civil war next week.

I like SWN, it's very simple, though we're finding the AC system and the fragility of characters to be frustrating (as much as that's the point). I also cannot keep all the systems in my head, especially the skill fiat stuff. I think what I'd do in future is keep the implied setting and/or tone but use GURPS, which is conceptually simple. When I get back to uni I want to pitch to some friends either a SF GURPS game that's similar in tone (but a home-brewed setting) or GURPS Infinite Worlds. The dream would be long-form Doctor Who, where every time the central time lord regenerates, it goes to the next person. Then when the whole group has their own time lord, multi 'Doctor' adventure!

rgalex

Banned
I'm currently running a Shadows of Esteren game for 4 players. The group has a priest of the Temple, a mercenary, a botanist and a Magientist (mad scientist). It's a really odd group to have but it's working out fanatic. It's the first time a more sandbox approach has worked for us. I'm having a great time running it and the rules work about 98% of the time. The system does a great job of getting out of the way when needed and being there to support things when we want it.

I'm playing in an Anima Beyond Fantasy game. My character is a Technician who I've built techniques for based on a few of the Final Fantasy Tactics jobs. The PC has become the default leader of the group as well as one of the primary "tanks" in battle. He's a bit of an ass, but not because he's mean or anything, he's just very practical when it comes to things and has a hard time unwinding. He's a good guy though, just sometimes not the most fun to be around.

I'm also in an Yggdrasil game where I play a Volva. The rest of the group is constantly coming to me to interpret omens and signs that are usually pretty dire and the PC is constantly trying to put a good spin on things to help keep moral up. He's also slightly unhinged and reminds the others that maybe being touched by the gods is not always a good thing. I'm having a great big ball of fun chewing on the scenery in this one and just having a blast with the character, which is odd because I was the one in the group least interested in the game to begin with.

Slynt

Deretsiger Resu
Validated User
The Riddle of Steel. My earliest notes for the campaign are from 2004 :D
It is probably the most epic endeavor I've done.
I've moved all my files into Scrivener which is simply brilliant for a GM. Highly recommended.
400 000+ words of notes, journals, maps etc. When it's over or when I've had my fill I'm making an ebook out of it.
While TRoS is the perfect vehicle for our stories I do wish I had the time and people to play some D&D though.

I wish I could play ANYTHING really. Been the GM since forever. Around 1995 or so.
Have tried to join a game on Fantasy Grounds but it is hard to find time for it. And I'd love to run ASOIAFRP.

To scratch the itch I play D&D videogames. Got the three Realms collections from GOG yesterday

Last edited:

SilverFalkon

Validated User
Running: Rise of the Runelords Campaign under EABA2. Using Maptool & Google Hangouts for when people can't make it person (usually at least one person per session). Been going a few years now and nearly half way!
Playing: Seakings homebrew Campaign also under EABA2. Had a few sessions now and it is starting to get going.
Playing: My daughters first campaign, also under EABA2.
Playing: The Drow Wars campaign, under ... D&D3.5 (yes I do know more than one system exists!)

mornwraith

Validated User
Running: Georgian period Ghostbusters using the 'Mini-Six' rules (variant on the StarWars d6 system). Just started, going ok so far.

Playing: An updated versions of 2300AD (3d printers & mobile phones instead of Traveller like tek) with the 'Basic Roleplay System' (BRP).
Thought I'd add an update after several weeks of play.

Georgian period Ghostbusters goes well with the Mini-Six system, although I think I should have handed out a couple of more +1D6 Skills to differentiate the characters a bit more. Had to make up some 'stun' rules for one player using a black-jack (cosh) to knock out an NPC. Have played up the social Class aspects of the setting & the players seem happy with running with that.

The Players seem to be trying to play to the norms of the Georgian period, and have been unusually restrained in their actions. In a modern game they would solve most things by literally driving a petrol tanker into the plot & blowing it up. I think I'll begin pushing the social side of society even more & see if the players are happy to play a game of manners. One of the Players may get challenged to a duel at some point, because he slept with someone else wife.

BRP 2300AD is ok, but I'm not sure the BRP rules support hard SciFi as well as I thought it would. We often need to make 2-3 different chained skills rolls per task to archive what we want. Thus I have 40% in Bridge Systems and 60% in Ships Gunnery, there are occasions when I need to successfully make both rolls to use the weapons the way they need to be used. This only actually gives me a final cumulative success chance of 24% per round for hitting things. There are ways to try to achieve a 'target lock' that will avoid the Bridge Systems roll + Gunnery roll every round, so it's just a Gunnery roll; but it usually means a Ships Sensor roll to archive the target lock before we start firing.

It's not a huge issue, but the need for 'multiple successful rolls' effects most other things such as engineering ect. So we actually spend most of our time failing at rolls :( . I know the answer is just to make one roll for a general class of action, but the GM doesn't see it that way; and there are legitimate occasions when in a difficult situation, dealing with difficult problems, under time pressure, you would have to make multiple rolls. It's the high chance of failure per roll, coupled with not getting a +% bonus often because the tasks are legitimately Hard, plus having to successively make 2-3 sequential rolls to archive the final outcome. We're meant to be competent veterans but actually end up looking like the 3-stooges all too often. Aside from that it's fairly good, although the GM has deviated from cannon on several occasions & it's caught us out by having the wrong assumptions of what was going on.

Last edited:

Aegypto

Treelicious
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Running a Delta Green game which is perpetually three sessions away from the end (much like the world, I suppose). Still, the agents are pretty much broken people by now, and the players decided that it wouldn't make sense for their characters to be part of the team raiding the jungle Nazi compound (though we may eventually play through that with different characters), so there's only one loose end to tie up.

Then I guess they all get to meet their fate. Whether is death, madness, or worse.

lifelesspoet

Validated User
Running RWBY using Fate Core and it is going well in game. The group is having a turbulent time however and rpg night may turn into board game night until life settles down.

Bira

Validated User
I'm running two PbP games here on the forum. Both use GURPS.

One is a Dungeon Fantasy game, where the players are running through the dungeon in B1 - In Search of the Unknown. They're having a lot of fun with that one, and so am I. The current party is a cat-folk thief, a pair of polearm wielding fighters (one a half-ogre, the other a minotaur), and a human cleric. It's been going for about 1.5 years.

The other is an X-COM game, taking inspiration from both the original 1994 game and the modern incarnations, as well as from a few other sources. I gave the players some choices regarding the exact nature of the threat they face, who the Commander is, and who runs their research. So now they're facing [REDACTED] as part of an organization commanded by Big Boss and whose chief scientist is a Russian paranormal researcher. I'm not using battlemaps here, but I am using Google Earth to set up mission areas and give them information about their surroundings. I'm also taking advantage of the medium to send them on missions that aren't possible in the computer games.

The first mission is rescuing Doctor Vahlen's family (she's still part of X-COM, just not the chief scientist) from a freaky-deaky anomaly zone in Cologne, Germany. They just had their first close encounter with an alien, and are currently getting their asses kicked by it.

Molotov

Validated User
I've currently got two campaigns in main production / play:

The Gray Realms, a homebrew fantasy campaign for a few close friends. We're using the 6d6 RPG engine, to great effect. The Players have declared it their favorite campaign ever, best ruleset ever, and tell me it every session ... so, going well. :)

The Strange Tales of the Dream World is my weird fantasy campaign, with five really experienced gamers (all of whom are GMs in their own right). The campaign uses the Dreamlands map as fantasy world, and the PCs are all pulled from various backgrounds and places. Very trippy, very fun. We've gone several sesssion using Magic World, and have recently switched to Cypher System (with a lot of enthusiasm from all five players ... wheeewh).

Top Bottom