• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What system for Dragon Mountain?

Bomberg

Validated User
What about D&D 4e? It offers an abundance of kobolds with various possible tactics. Furthermore, the floorplan-based combat with tactical and forced movement as well as terrain effects seems like it would work well for the mostly spacious rooms in Dragon Mountain.

Deliverator

Belongs to an elite order
Validated User
Y'know, that's a great point! I'd love to give 4E another spin. There are some major obstacles, however. The biggest one is lack of access to the digital tools. Without those, 4E is just not really feasible, in my experience. Maybe if a player came along who had those things...

Fatbaldhobbit

Baldest of the Fat Hobbits
Validated User
You might check out 13th Age. It's a streamlined version of 4E. Easy to build monsters with different powers.

Deliverator

Validated User
13th Age might be a good choice, too! If Black Hack doesn't work out, I'll consider it. It might be fun to reframe the thing as a raid on the lair of one of the Icons.

BabbageCliologic

Chess is a war over the board
Validated User
Savage Worlds. It’s got all the stuff you need: customizable monsters and heroic pulpy player characters. Differentiations between mooks and wild cards with exploding dice rolls allow for great epic battles, and bennies allow for stunning attacks and last minute saves. It is super easy to translate a d&d product into Savage Worlds.

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
I've played through Dragon Mountain and ran it.

I've... seen things.

The whole point of the module is to take the player's expectations of how the system works and beat them in the head with loopholes while giggling maniacally. The game cheats, explicitly, suggesting things like "No matter how much damage you do to the old woman, she fires a last fireball from her wand at the end" or "the players are challenged to single combat by a kobold. He's a polymorphed Frost giant."

It's a hubris injection. Thus, to get the spirit of the game, you have to put the kobolds into a system where they shouldn't be capable of massacring a party of heroes and training them in tactics and equipment until they become the avatar of that fabled "fantasy vietnam."

Find a system where there's a way to cheat just far enough that it doesn't count as cheating.

Deliverator

Validated User
Savage Worlds I played recently and intensely disliked, though it may have just been the scenario / our lack of system knowledge. Fights felt very static, though, and the mechanics felt too divorced from the fiction for my tastes.

Azimer the Mad Azimer the Mad : yes, I had noticed some of the more problematic aspects of the module from the reading I've done so far. The first booklet is particularly egregious with those "no matter what" clauses. I hate that kind of thing and intend to excise it entirely. I'm confident I can do that while still keeping it challenging.

I had considered either Paranoia or 3:16 for this project, however. :ROFLMAO:

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the point where I threw Dragon Mountain book 1 across the room was when I got to the "revelation" that all the innumerable, tiresome, bloated, cheaty fight scenes were happening because someone misheard the PCs.

Deliverator

Validated User
I think the point where I threw Dragon Mountain book 1 across the room was when I got to the "revelation" that all the innumerable, tiresome, bloated, cheaty fight scenes were happening because someone misheard the PCs.
Yeah, the whole "Lothar the Shiv" thing is pretty shameful.

I haven't even finished book 1, but what I'm basically planning on doing is having the initial outside-the-dungeon phase be a factional politics thing. Each faction will have something the PCs want, and something they want to do against the other factions. It will be hard though maybe not impossible to please all of them and thus get all of the clues / maps / amulet shards / whatever. None of the factions will be as stupid or cartoonish as they are presented, of course.

BabbageCliologic

Chess is a war over the board
Validated User
Savage Worlds I played recently and intensely disliked, though it may have just been the scenario / our lack of system knowledge.
Was it run by someone who’s never run it before? That can prove difficult first time out of the book.

Fights felt very static, though,
I’m guessing that you probably didn’t use the Combat Survival Guide in the game.

The interaction between Toughness and Wounds is often misunderstood, which can cause problems during combat.

and the mechanics felt too divorced from the fiction for my tastes.
You’d have to provide examples because my experience it is no more divorced than other rpgs.

Top Bottom