• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Whatever happened to Skyrealms of Jorune?

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
While a lot of lesser games from the same era are into their umpteenth edition, Jorune is dead as a dodo... Does anyone know why? It's one of the classic settings, if something of a niche thing, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been a d20 version, GURPS sourcebook, or something.

TheShadow

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
The impression I get is that there's a problem with the IP. Miles Teves is now a quite successful Hollywood artist, and retains the rights to his creations -- including something like 95% of the original artwork and half of the creature names. In the process of making the computer game, something happened between him and Andrew Leker. Apparently, the third edition was built though a middleman, and bombed badly enough that only fan-based efforts have continued (Leker is now a computer games designer, IIRC).

~MDE

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
The impression I get is that there's a problem with the IP. Miles Teves is now a quite successful Hollywood artist, and retains the rights to his creations -- including something like 95% of the original artwork and half of the creature names. In the process of making the computer game, something happened between him and Andrew Leker. Apparently, the third edition was built though a middleman, and bombed badly enough that only fan-based efforts have continued (Leker is now a computer games designer, IIRC).

~MDE
Sort of, but not quite correct. Andrew and Miles are fine. Other people involved are
no longer interested in licensing the game out (well, not without some large amount
of money). Andrew and Miles are still in contact with each other, and from what I can
tell, the relationship is still solid. A lot of money was lost in the third edition production,
and the way the game was received and played did not sit well with what Andrew and
Miles had planned/expected.

Joe Adams, who worked extensively on the revised 2nd edition and 3rd edition,
has possession of a number of original Miles Jorune stuff (I have some as well), and
has permission to use them if a new edition is ever produced. He has also been
actively (and with permission) trying to keep it alive via the web and on demand
printing.

Check out http://www.jorune.org

-V

Epengar

of the Clan of the Sweet Singers of Nakome
Validated User
for what it's worth, a number of 3rd edition Jorune publications are apparently still available new from the publisher:

http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games2.htm

Also, there is a Jorune yahoogroup, and Joe Adams posts there. He's a pretty tired of answering the "what happened to Jorune?" question though. What has been posted there jibes with what has been posted here: the copyrights and intellectual properties are divided up among several owners, and none of them have been willing to accept the offers they've had for licensing of a newer edition.

Top Bottom