What's up with Palladium and BTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the press release on the Palladiumbooks website:

"Palladium Books is delaying the release of BTS-2: Beyond the SupernaturalTM Second Edition to give us more time to hype and advertise what Kevin Siembieda believes is an important new horror line in the Palladium family of RPGs.
The initial numbers ordered by game distributors were disappointing for a game that has tremendous potential in the gaming market. "
The last time this happened was with TMNT 2nd edition, and it turned out the book hadn't even been written in the first place.

BTS has never been Palladium's flagship line. The first edition is one of few Palladium products which has spent large amounts of time in an out of print status. I think Palladium tested the waters for BTS2 before (about 5 years ago) and received no interest then, which is another reason why it has been so long coming.

So, do you think the lack of interest in this product is because there wasn't much desire for it in the first place? Or has the d20 glut killed it? Or does Palladium's increasingly bad reputation with fans have something to do with it?

Also, who thinks it will be a cut and paste of material, just like it was originally? Palladium has certainly been heavy on reprints lately.

Now taking bets. Who thinks it will be released and who feels it won't? I think it will be cancelled. Anyone disagree?

Palladium fans and once Palladium fans discuss.

Its been in the works for years and years. If it is a cut and paste job I will be very dissipointed. if you hype your product for years and years and years... and then you turn some stupid cut and paste job, you wil earn my ire.

Aries

Gone- No Longer Here
Gabriel said:
Now taking bets. Who thinks it will be released and who feels it won't? I think it will be cancelled. Anyone disagree?

Palladium fans and once Palladium fans discuss.
It will be canceled. How many other products has Palladium announced that have never shown up? (Mechanoids ring a bell?).

While I liked BTS, it never really seemed (at least where I was living) to have much of a following, and I got into it when it first came out.

D

D20

Elliot said:
Its been in the works for years and years. If it is a cut and paste job I will be very dissipointed. if you hype your product for years and years and years... and then you turn some stupid cut and paste job, you wil earn my ire.
Isnt that standard practice for Palladium though?

Heres what Maryann said on their forum;
"its probably because retailers and distributors are being cautious about anything new. They are very very conservative about ordering now and unless they're sure they'll blow out the door the pre-orders are low. There's no place to advertise other than web sites so that cuts back on the visibility of new products. This is a big risk for Palladium, they have to make the production costs back if nothing else. I know the cover is done and most of the interior artwork, a lot of the writing is also finished, lets hope the retailers and distributors listen to the fans and place those orders cause if they don't it won't be good."

In other words not popular

Aries

Gone- No Longer Here
PhishStyx said:
From the Palladium Books website:

Here's the key issue. This Randy McCall guy didn't write what Kevin dictated.

Oh well.
Sounds like a mess. It's surprising that there is anyone left who wants to deal with Kevin S. Sure, you may want to get your worked published, but from the way it sounds it is worth all the problems?

Gully Foyle

is looking at the sky.
Validated User
I think that the d20 glut is killing most of Palladium's lines, that coupled with Kevin's rumoured tyranny (I've never seen any hard proof of it, but I look at it as a case of so many people lying about you? Including your own fans?) concerning content and direction of his books makes the release of any of Palladiums products for the next couple of months debatable, in my mind, at least.

Cancelled? Who knows, with the game company I know and love?

Aries

Gone- No Longer Here
Gully Foyle said:
I think that the d20 glut is killing most of Palladium's lines, that coupled with Kevin's rumoured tyranny (I've never seen any hard proof of it, but I look at it as a case of so many people lying about you? Including your own fans?) makes the release of any of Palladiums products for the next couple of months debatable.

Cancelled? Who knows, with the game company I know and love?
If you want to see how Palladium treats it's fans all you have to do is hang out in their message forum.

I think it has less to do with the D20 glut (because there are non D20 games doing fine), and more with the cut and paste games that are not that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom