What's Your "Curt Schilling Blowing His Fortune"-style RPG or Setting?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I might also revive the Anime Multiverse teased in BESM 3e. Mostly because I got really excited about it for some reason, and then Guardians of Order folded.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
DragonStar - I love fantasy/sci fi mashups.

Brian Daley's Adventures of Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh books - the setting deserves a huge sumptuous treatment.

And finally, I'd hire Eric Campbell and his players to bring back Shield of Tomorrow! Along with anything else they want to run.

Ramidel

Validated User
Witchcraft/Armageddon. Buy up Unisystem, perhaps organize any new-edition better (I think putting the Enlightened advantage in Book of Hod was highly unfitting in retrospect and I'd rather not spread any particular metaphysic over too many books) and flesh out the best WoD you'll ever play.

Shan Andy

One man and his giraffe
Validated User
Everway for me. Rerelease the Spherewalker's sourcebook, release a bunch of sumptuous sets of cards related to my favourite settings (Nobilis, Chuubo's, Tekumel), probably via Kickstarter, then release the whole thing as an app with story generation tools for a reasonable price some time later.
That was largely what I came here to say.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Gamma World. I would use all of my ideas from the 8e thread in the d20 forum and put out three core books- rules and light setting, critters and mutations, and tech and superscience. Then I would release a setting book every year, each setting very different from the others. Everything from Middle Ages alien invasion to Tron-style life in a computer that is crashing. Each of those would also have a couple supplements, though they would likely be in the 64-96 page range rather than the 300-500 pages the primary supplements would have.

As for the rules, it would draw from first, second, fourth, fifth and sixth editions plus Mutant Future. There is a lot of good stuff in all the editions but those are the ones I would reference. And each setting would have its own rules addendum to help GMs keep the feel of that world.

Shan Andy

One man and his giraffe
Validated User
For me it would be Blue Planet. Loved the setting, but (sorry) couldn't get on with the rules.

Given infinite money I'd get the original writers out of retirement and lock them in a room with Brad Murray and Sarah Newton until they came up with a system that meshed with the genius of the setting.

Then I'd hire a professional to take those maps and make them into something really useful. I'd probably get them to create some kind of digital platform so you could zoom in and out to your heart's content and see how everything fitted together. I'd tag locations as being deliberately left undeveloped (probably with some kind of access restricted label) to say: these are your sandbox locations, we won't touch them.

Given infinite cash and resources, possibly even some kind of subscription service where you could create your own details on the official map.

I need to lie down now. I'm too excited by impossible dreams.

Ven

Validated User
Harn. Well, Kethira, the planet whereon Harn is but an island. Slowly the work is being done to flesh out the rest of the world but with a huge influx of money that could be done sufficiently quickly for me to have a chance to game in it before I die. Harn level of detail for the rest of the world would be awesome.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Whenever I daydream about winning $1.6B or so in the lottery, those daydreams always involve buying the rights to Planescape and/or Spelljammer and going full media blitz on those properties. There would, of course, be the tabletop RPG revival of those properties. But that would be the least of it.

There would also be the novel tie-ins. I'd throw money at Charlie Stross to see if I could get him back to his D&D roots and pen a Planescape trilogy. Hire Dan Abnett to write an ongoing Spelljammer series. Novels would be periodically repackaged and re-released in chunky Black-Library-style omnibusses.

Additionally, there would be the AAA-quality video games. Spelljammer naturally lends itself to a space-trading/space-combat style of game, while Planescape would be more of an open-world RPG. Both games would be focused on providing a robust single-player experience, with interesting systems, a compelling story, and lots of interesting places to explore in the game.

The centerpiece, though, would be the high quality premium TV shows. Planescape would be a combination of urban political intrigue and crazy planewalking adventures, while Spelljammer would go for more of a "Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-in-space" vibe.

Why yes I have given this a lot of thought. It plays out really great in my head, let me tell you.

Top Bottom