What's Your Experience With Virtual Tabletop Applications?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’ve been using Roll20 since 2014, starting with Google Hangouts for audio and changing to Discord when Google removed the API Roll20 used.
It works well for 13th Age with a free account.

numtini

Validated User
I'm coming up on three years with the same group on roll20. We use Discord for audio. It works well and you can ease yourself into it.

Eudaimic

Gray Fur
Validated User
I used to use roll20, but a combination of poor implementation/limitations of the site as well as poor actions from the Powers That Be that own/run the site caused me to switch over fully to Fantasy Grounds.
Yeah, that's what caused me to go looking at FG again. Unfortunately as I said earlier it really is a dated piece of software at this point, especially on a Mac. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they even went to the trouble of making it work without a virtual machine, but it certainly puts my iMacs fan to the test.

And while I'm frustrated with Roll 20, I will say that I managed to squeeze a lot of mechanical automation out of their scripting engine. Yes I have to sometimes restart the scripting server while we're playing because it froze for no apparent reason, but it let me make the game a LOT easier for my players to get into (they will never, ever learn the rules, dammit).

Everyone rolls their own dice (we trust the results: if we didn't trust each other then we'd not be gaming together) and if a map or other handout is needed then the GM drops a Drive or Dropbox link to it in the chat window. Audio and video quality is decent and pretty reliable. We've been using it for years now without serious issues or reason to change.
With hangouts you can also share your screen, or just a window, so if you need to share a map just for everyone to know what's going on, you can do it that way as well.

Dromio

Validated User
I used to use roll20, but a combination of poor implementation/limitations of the site as well as poor actions from the Powers That Be that own/run the site caused me to switch over fully to Fantasy Grounds. FG is fantastic and does everything I need it to do.
Same. We've used FG for many years, with Savage Worlds and other systems. I ran Night's Black Agents on it with no problem for example.

John Out West

Validated User
How does one add custom cards?
Edit Table (Bottom left button), Click on the deck you want to add custom cards to, click Add/Remove Cards, Add the new type of back or front. I also use this for my non-D52 card game which uses custom combo cards, so you could potentially play Magic the Gathering with it, although it wouldn't be perfect. Still better than roll20's card system.

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
With hangouts you can also share your screen, or just a window, so if you need to share a map just for everyone to know what's going on, you can do it that way as well
We tried that, but unfortunately it crashed the Hangout for one of the players. In the end we seem to have settled on the most basic option as the one best suited to our circumstances.

John Out West

Validated User
What do you mean by card-based RPGs? Things like the Pathfinder Adventure Game?
D52 games mostly, (Games that use 52 card decks) like Deadlands, Through the Breach, or Westbound. We use PlayingCards.io for Westbound Wednesdays and it can do everything really well except recycling. Otherwise it has lots of decks, multiple hands, customization for fronts/backs, responsive connectivity between players, tokens, etc.
I also use it to test out the mechanics for a deck-building rpg i'm making, so it has a surprising amount of flexibility.

wormmonda

#TwitterIsTransphobic
Banned
Validated User
So looks like Fantasy Ground and Roll20 are the ones most people use for the good old dice rolling RPGs; does anyone have any experience or insight on open-sourced projects like RPTools or OpenRPG? Is there any VTT app specifically for mobile platforms like smartphones or tablets?

Top Bottom