When systems crash and burn: funny examples

Trond

Banned
The Fantasy RPG Bible has a funny "awards" section in which it lists, among other things "Game you are most likely to survive a direct anti-tank missile to the chest Award": Shadowrun (1st ed.).

There was also someone here in the forums who (if I remember correctly) had a D&D PC go up to gate guarded by a guy with a crossbow. Realizing that the crossbow couldn't possibly do more than shave off a few of his numerous hit points, he just walked straight past the guard and laughed while the guard shot him :eek:

I have also heard of strange things happening in Rifts. Something about megadamage armor not being allowed to be penetrated by anything until it is completely destroyed, so even if your armor has only one point left (or whatever) you will still survive being nuked......or something.

Any other good ones?:p

JohnBiles

Validated User
There was a gaming magazine which had a strip called 'Murphy's Rules' which exposed freakish consequences of various game rules.

A few I remember:

In Car Wars, you could not successfully commit suicide with a light pistol. Any such effort will merely knock you unconscious.

In Champions, a baby could throw a football 10 yards.

Arachne

Robot Spider Queen
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In Pathfinder, every person in a grapple can move the entire grapple 5 feet per round. There is no limit to how many people can be in a grapple. And every one of them gets a turn.

Infinite speed!

Trond

Banned
In Pathfinder, every person in a grapple can move the entire grapple 5 feet per round. There is no limit to how many people can be in a grapple. And every one of them gets a turn.

Infinite speed!
:D lol "a large group of people grappling were last seen flying past Saturn on their way out of the solar system".

Arachne

Robot Spider Queen
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I seem to remember that a certain character type in 1st edition L5R could move an infinite distance in one round provided there was a line of horses between her and the goal.

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Because of how armor works in Scion (quite well, in fact) it's impossible for two average. unarmed people wearing leather jackets to injure one-another. Apparently, biker brawls last until everybody gets bored.

Wolfgar

Validated User
Pretty much any game where spellcasting is disrupted by taking damage would eventually someone a thread about the dimension hopping boy with a sack of rocks. Said small child would be able to win initiative and then bean the wizard to death with rocks before he could ever get off spell one. For some reason i never see this example any more; I think it may have finally died out. :p

Baseline Palladium rules have it such that character's have enough SC that they can safely shoot themselves in the head or jump on landmines without consequence. This was later adjudicated with supplementary rules, but it's there.

You'd be surprised at the number of systems where someone dying from a point blank gun shot to the face was a statistical outlier.

At least one person on here tried to use Dark Heresy's ranged combat system to represent a pistol duel, resulting in two characters standing stock still twenty paces apart missing a dozen shots at each other.

The Storyteller

Devil's Advocate
Validated User
In an edition of Shadowrun previous to 4e, your grenades explode faster when you have Initiative boosting spinal implants. [Reason: grenades exploded on your next action, so if your initiative was high enough to grant you additional actions in the same round, your grenade would go off the same round you threw it, instead of next round, as the system expected]

In the same edition, barriers had a certain speed threshold. If you beat the threshold and crashing into it, you blow straight throw and your vehicle would be unharmed (or possibly take negligible damage, I forget), but if you missed that speed threshold, your vehicle bounced off and took damage. Thus, for a certain barrier, a nerf car going 101 mph would blow straight through it safely, but the Death Star going 99 mph would bounce off and take damage. [Reason: Mass was not factored into the crashing rules at all, only speed]

In WEG Star Wars, if you had 20 shots in your gun and tried to shoot yourself in the head 20 times in rabid succession, you would inevitably fail and survive [You received a penalty to all actions based on the total actions you intended to take that round--you were penalized for a possible future that may never come to pass]

Dorchadas

一期一会
Validated User
There's the WFRP 1st "Naked Dwarf" problem. :p

In WFRP, the Toughness stat subtracts directly from damage dealt. Because of the dwarven racial bonus, it was entirely possible (if statistically unlikely) to have a naked dwarf be harder to kill than a human in full plate armor.

Top Bottom