When systems crash and burn: funny examples

BossMorgrum

Validated User
In 3.X DnD, a tower shield is a helpful item for diving. If you wield it as you are intended to, it gives a huge armor check penalty to Swim and causes you to sink like a brick. When you want to resurface, just unstrap it and hold it in your hands. It no longer gives you an armor check penalty, and further more it is a "large object made primarily of wood," giving you a Swim bonus.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
At least one person on here tried to use Dark Heresy's ranged combat system to represent a pistol duel, resulting in two characters standing stock still twenty paces apart missing a dozen shots at each other.
Actually, as I remember from that thread, that particular outcome came from completely misinterpreting and misusing the rules, and as such was not a problem with the rules themselves.

avram

Validated User
In Pathfinder, every person in a grapple can move the entire grapple 5 feet per round. There is no limit to how many people can be in a grapple. And every one of them gets a turn.

Infinite speed!
Well, not infinite, because you'd need an infinite number of people.

But if I'm working the math out right (Pathfinder rounds are six seconds long, right?) you'd need to coordinate around 14 million people to hit the speed of light.

avram

Validated User
But if I'm working the math out right (Pathfinder rounds are six seconds long, right?) you'd need to coordinate around 14 million people to hit the speed of light.
Wait, no, I got that wrong. It's around 14 billion for lightspeed. But hey, the Earth's current population is nearly half that, so we could manage around 0.5c. And once we get out into space, that ought to be acceleration, not velocity.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Actually, as I remember from that thread, that particular outcome came from completely misinterpreting and misusing the rules, and as such was not a problem with the rules themselves.
Indeed. Even if both participants had the minimum possible Weapon Skill for a starting character, no applicable bonuses (unlikely with stationary targets), and were untrained with their weapons (is there actually a career that doesn't start with pistol training?), the odds of missing a dozen shots in a row are still somewhere south of 50%.

remial

ishin na' telleth
Validated User
in early editions of Shadowrun, if you tripped on your shoe lace, there was a good chance that the falling damage would kill you outright.

that's why my shadowrun characters either were barefoot, or wore sandals

macd21

Validated User
A few of the Critical Injuries result in Dark Heresy result in the target catching fire or exploding. This would be fine, except that if the target is carrying any ammunition then it also explodes... causing 1D10 + 5 damage to anyone within a few metres.

Some friends tried to argue that they could tie a single bullet to a chicken, throw the chicken at the enemy and then shoot the chicken. The chicken's poor toughness and wounds would almost guarantee a severe (explody) critical, thereby causing more damage than a single shot would...

Con man

Wushu Novice
Validated User
A few of the Critical Injuries result in Dark Heresy result in the target catching fire or exploding. This would be fine, except that if the target is carrying any ammunition then it also explodes... causing 1D10 + 5 damage to anyone within a few metres.

Some friends tried to argue that they could tie a single bullet to a chicken, throw the chicken at the enemy and then shoot the chicken. The chicken's poor toughness and wounds would almost guarantee a severe (explody) critical, thereby causing more damage than a single shot would...
ROFLMAO

The_kerrins

Validated User
shadowrun 2nd ed cannon companion - if you fall you automatically have an initiative of 30 or 20 can't remember which - which is higher than most street sams on speed :) it does explain all the art with levitating mages though :) they have it spell locked to lift them up and then drop them every round but as mentioned previously this could be fatal if the spell failed ....

Top Bottom