[Where I read] AD&D First Edition

The Grey Elf

is the Master!
Validated User
My intent wasn't to derail the thread, but it sounds as though you intend to use it, at least partially, to argue that miniatures weren't a major part of Gygax's conception of the game, and that rules flexibility and deep roleplaying were foremost among his priorities. I mean, you essentially accuse Skip Williams of betraying his vision. I just wanted to point out that there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.
All evidence that came out years later, of course...

The Grey Elf

is the Master!
Validated User
Wait... when evidence comes out later, it doesn't count? :confused:
When said evidence comes out years later, involving someone's attitudes at the time of the evidence, "ie. as of 1987, Gygax felt..." then no, it doesn't count towards the original intent, as it's not reflective of the original intent.

I'm not arguing whether or not Gygax later felt that D&D should be played miniatures-heavy. I'm only dealing with the original intent of the game, as written in the original rulebooks.

blizack

ghostmode
Validated User
I'm not arguing whether or not Gygax later felt that D&D should be played miniatures-heavy. I'm only dealing with the original intent of the game, as written in the original rulebooks.
Fair enough. I made my argument because you said "Skip Williams... in my opinion should know better given the direction 4e is taking" and that "Gygax is unfairly credited for championing" strict adherence to the AD&D rules as written. I was pointing out that he's not credited thus "unfairly" - he said it himself.

(Originally, I had more written here, but I think it could have turned into an edition war, and I honestly don't want to derail your thread.)

Last edited:

The Grey Elf

is the Master!
Validated User
Fair enough. I made my argument because you said "Skip Williams... in my opinion should know better given the direction 4e is taking" and that "Gygax is unfairly credited for championing" strict adherence to the AD&D rules as written. I was pointing out that he's not credited thus "unfairly" - he said it himself.

(Originally, I had more written here, but I think it could have turned into an edition war, and I honestly don't want to derail your thread.)
Appreciate it :)

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Cool. Consider me subscribed to this thread. I have recently found myself reading C&C and remembering a lot of bizarre AD&D1e rules that I had forgotten about such as the Ranger's bonus damage against humanoids and 2d8 HP at first level, and how Fighters get extra attacks against 1d6 or less HD creatures.

The Grey Elf

is the Master!
Validated User
Cool. Consider me subscribed to this thread. I have recently found myself reading C&C and remembering a lot of bizarre AD&D1e rules that I had forgotten about such as the Ranger's bonus damage against humanoids and 2d8 HP at first level, and how Fighters get extra attacks against 1d6 or less HD creatures.
Wait till I get to weapon speed ;).

By the by everyone, I'm out of the office until Monday, so my Internet Access will be here and there. I'll try and get a few more posts up, but if I don't, I'm not abandoning this. Just so you all know.

Old Geezer

Banned
So Gygax stresses getting into character and downplays miniatures? That doesn't match up with what's been written by people who actually played D&D with him:
Oh yes it does.

D&D was all about immersion, and we never used miniatures.

I don't know who La Farge is, but I can promise you he was not in Gary's study from 1972 to 1975.

And we are talking about back then, aren't we?

Top Bottom