• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(Where I Read) Oathbringer

Aegis98

Validated User
Forgiveness of the unforgivable.
I'm going to take your theory and I'm going to take it one step further by identifying who Taravangian will be forgiving for the unforgivable.

Odium. He's going to forgive Odium and it is going to be a game changer.

Interlude-6: This One is Mine

Venli is determined to be worthy of power. She and a small group of other listeners have been chosen by Ulim and his unseen masters to receive new power from the Everstorm. After all, Venli is the one who'd done everything that made all of this possible. Including her, nine have been selected from two thousand survivors, and one of those nine is Demid who is excited about this new form. Venli thinks to herself how Eshonai was so wrong, and Ulim tells them all to face west in the open and don't worry about anything. Also, they must want and embrace it or the powers will not take hold in their gemhearts. The everstorm comes and Venli hums to craving. She is consumed by the storm, there is no rain, just an angry darkness and thunder booming around her. A burning tree crashes and rolls away next to her. Venli kneels down to protect herself from the debris. Something cracks the carapace on her arm, and then a voice inside says to let it in. She opens up to this, and its like her veins are on fire. Then another voice speaks, a warm paternal voice. Venli calls out to it, and the voice says to choose another, this one is theirs. The force pushing against her retreated and something smaller takes its place. She accepts this spren and attunes to agony. An eternity later the storm passes and Venli studies her new form; it is like nimbleform, but it still attunes to the new rhythms. She turns to look at the others and she sees that Demid has become massive and powerful and coursing with a dark glow that he commands. She calls out to him, but he doesn't respond. He turns to Melu and speaks a language Venli doesn't know. She does recognize the rhythm though, it is Derision. She asks him again, and while he speaks that language it starts making sense to her; he is talking to Melu about how Odium rides the wind as their enemy once did, but he calls Melu by another name, Aharat. Aharat says it feels good, and he replies it feels, it feels. Venli fears they've gone mad. Mrun pushes past a boulder that hadn't been there before, and Venli sees a broken arm sticking out from under it; despite Ulim's promise, one of them died. Mrun stumbles and grabs the rock, Altoki draws in like a predator and rambles about dead winds and blood rain. Venli tells Demid that something is wrong, she tells him to wait while she finds the spren. He asks if she knew this corpse, but before she can respond Ulim runs in saying that this is very very very bad.

Ulim tells Venli not to talk to the others or point at them or anything like that. Then Demid approaches; he addresses the spren as The Envoy and he gives his respect for the work he's done. Ulim begs the Grand of the Fused to see passion and forgive Venli. Demid says to explain to her so she doesn't irritate him and so Ulim draws her away to do just that. That was not Demid, he says, Demid is gone now, that is Hariel and his temper is something to behold. Venli is disbelieving at first, but when she looks at everyone she sees that they have changed beyond just a change in form, that Demid no longer stands or talks like before. Venli accuses Ulim of lying to them about the new form, but he says he never said anything about a new form, and really she should be flattered; their gods need bodies. Its like this every Return. Venli does not feel like being flattered to be killed, but Ulim says its all for the good of the race. Except that Venli bonded with a voidspren which puts her way below the Fused. Venli nods, then heads back to the group; she tells Ulim she's sending that one's soul back and bringing Demid back so he can know the consequences and make a proper decision. Ulim says she doesn't get it, Demid is dead and what did she do? Did she resist like her sister did? They argue for a bit, but Hariel tells the Envoy to step aside. Ulim says 'bother' and Hariel does not like this human habit that Ulim has picked up. Ulim leaves, and two of the Fused still have trouble moving while two more have twisted smiles. Hariel regrets the death of his servant's friend and while she is the child of traitors her work in the war is to be commended. Venli begs for Hariel to bring Demid back, but he says that he's passed to the blindness beyond; unlike the voidspren, their souls cannot share occupancy. No power, not even Odium, can bring Demid back. He grabs Venli's face; she was to bear a soul that had fought at his side for thousands of years, but she was turned away. Odium has a purpose for her, revel in that and do not grieve for we shall have vengeance on our enemies. Venli struggles but eventually pushes Demid aside like she did to Eshonai. This was the path she'd set upon when she first listened to Ulim all those years ago. She waits while the Fused talk, and then she sees a spren floating near the ground, a little ball of light like the one she saw near Eshonai. Its agitated and scoots towards her. Venli knows that the Fused will destroy it if they see it, so she cups her hand over it and brings it against her. Demid walks to her, he didn't seem to notice, and he says they're flying to Alethela.

Thoughts

Venli's situation has gotten even more complicated than before. It looks like we've got seven of the nine shadows from Dalinar's vision, so that's coming along. And now Venli's got that odd spren; somehow I doubt that one is part of Odium's plans for Venli.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I'm going to take your theory and I'm going to take it one step further by identifying who Taravangian will be forgiving for the unforgivable.

Interlude-6: This One is Mine

Venli is determined to be worthy of power. She and a small group of other listeners have been chosen by Ulim and his unseen masters to receive new power from the Everstorm. After all, Venli is the one who'd done everything that made all of this possible. Including her, nine have been selected from two thousand survivors, and one of those nine is Demid who is excited about this new form. Venli thinks to herself how Eshonai was so wrong, and Ulim tells them all to face west in the open and don't worry about anything. Also, they must want and embrace it or the powers will not take hold in their gemhearts. The everstorm comes and Venli hums to craving. She is consumed by the storm, there is no rain, just an angry darkness and thunder booming around her. A burning tree crashes and rolls away next to her. Venli kneels down to protect herself from the debris. Something cracks the carapace on her arm, and then a voice inside says to let it in. She opens up to this, and its like her veins are on fire. Then another voice speaks, a warm paternal voice. Venli calls out to it, and the voice says to choose another, this one is theirs. The force pushing against her retreated and something smaller takes its place. She accepts this spren and attunes to agony. An eternity later the storm passes and Venli studies her new form; it is like nimbleform, but it still attunes to the new rhythms. She turns to look at the others and she sees that Demid has become massive and powerful and coursing with a dark glow that he commands. She calls out to him, but he doesn't respond. He turns to Melu and speaks a language Venli doesn't know. She does recognize the rhythm though, it is Derision. She asks him again, and while he speaks that language it starts making sense to her; he is talking to Melu about how Odium rides the wind as their enemy once did, but he calls Melu by another name, Aharat. Aharat says it feels good, and he replies it feels, it feels. Venli fears they've gone mad. Mrun pushes past a boulder that hadn't been there before, and Venli sees a broken arm sticking out from under it; despite Ulim's promise, one of them died. Mrun stumbles and grabs the rock, Altoki draws in like a predator and rambles about dead winds and blood rain. Venli tells Demid that something is wrong, she tells him to wait while she finds the spren. He asks if she knew this corpse, but before she can respond Ulim runs in saying that this is very very very bad.

Ulim tells Venli not to talk to the others or point at them or anything like that. Then Demid approaches; he addresses the spren as The Envoy and he gives his respect for the work he's done. Ulim begs the Grand of the Fused to see passion and forgive Venli. Demid says to explain to her so she doesn't irritate him and so Ulim draws her away to do just that. That was not Demid, he says, Demid is gone now, that is Hariel and his temper is something to behold. Venli is disbelieving at first, but when she looks at everyone she sees that they have changed beyond just a change in form, that Demid no longer stands or talks like before. Venli accuses Ulim of lying to them about the new form, but he says he never said anything about a new form, and really she should be flattered; their gods need bodies. Its like this every Return. Venli does not feel like being flattered to be killed, but Ulim says its all for the good of the race. Except that Venli bonded with a voidspren which puts her way below the Fused. Venli nods, then heads back to the group; she tells Ulim she's sending that one's soul back and bringing Demid back so he can know the consequences and make a proper decision. Ulim says she doesn't get it, Demid is dead and what did she do? Did she resist like her sister did? They argue for a bit, but Hariel tells the Envoy to step aside. Ulim says 'bother' and Hariel does not like this human habit that Ulim has picked up. Ulim leaves, and two of the Fused still have trouble moving while two more have twisted smiles. Hariel regrets the death of his servant's friend and while she is the child of traitors her work in the war is to be commended. Venli begs for Hariel to bring Demid back, but he says that he's passed to the blindness beyond; unlike the voidspren, their souls cannot share occupancy. No power, not even Odium, can bring Demid back. He grabs Venli's face; she was to bear a soul that had fought at his side for thousands of years, but she was turned away. Odium has a purpose for her, revel in that and do not grieve for we shall have vengeance on our enemies. Venli struggles but eventually pushes Demid aside like she did to Eshonai. This was the path she'd set upon when she first listened to Ulim all those years ago. She waits while the Fused talk, and then she sees a spren floating near the ground, a little ball of light like the one she saw near Eshonai. Its agitated and scoots towards her. Venli knows that the Fused will destroy it if they see it, so she cups her hand over it and brings it against her. Demid walks to her, he didn't seem to notice, and he says they're flying to Alethela.

Thoughts

Venli's situation has gotten even more complicated than before. It looks like we've got seven of the nine shadows from Dalinar's vision, so that's coming along. And now Venli's got that odd spren; somehow I doubt that one is part of Odium's plans for Venli.
Prophesies are strange and twisty things aren't they.

And so Venli sees the Fused take bodies, and lives to tell about it because the Stormfather intervened. She is his, eh? Just how is SHE of Honor?

And it seems that Spren has been following her. Curiouser and curiouser...

Envoy Form eh? If nothing else it seems preturnaturally gifted at learning languages. I bet it's a natural propagandist and politician.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I find it hard to be too sympathetic of Venli, since she so willfully brought everything upon herself to her own woe. But her storyline is just so interesting since she's embedded on the other side, as it were.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I find it hard to be too sympathetic of Venli, since she so willfully brought everything upon herself to her own woe. But her storyline is just so interesting since she's embedded on the other side, as it were.
To be fair, so did Dalinar :p This is a story about redemption after all, which means you need characters who have REALLY screwed up fist..

Venli is giving us a fascinating perspective, and while many spoilers I will say she goes very interesting places indeed.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And so Venli sees the Fused take bodies, and lives to tell about it because the Stormfather intervened. She is his, eh? Just how is SHE of Honor?
I wouldn't be so sure that was the Stormfather speaking who intervened. He's not described as speaking in a "warm, paternal voice", and he wouldn't be around the Everstorm anyway. Moreover, from what we've seen he's unlikely to have taken any action against Odium; he's been fatalistic towards the future when he's talking with Dalinar. And one of the Fused outright says that Odium has a purpose for Venli.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I wouldn't be so sure that was the Stormfather speaking who intervened. He's not described as speaking in a "warm, paternal voice", and he wouldn't be around the Everstorm anyway. Moreover, from what we've seen he's unlikely to have taken any action against Odium; he's been fatalistic towards the future when he's talking with Dalinar. And one of the Fused outright says that Odium has a purpose for Venli.
Good point that, I’m too used to voices in the storms being him.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I thought it was Odium interfering, not Stormfather. "I want this one to be my diplomat".

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User

That was my guess as well.

Aegis98

Validated User
That was my guess as well.
If we are proven right, I propose we have an internet toast to our good guessing ability.

Chapter 58: Burdens

Dalinar looks down from base of Urithiru, and even though the clouds aren't there today, he still can't see the ground. He's having a hard time grasping just how high up he is, and the numbers Navani's scribes give him aren't satisfying. He wonders if the clouds here are lower than the ones over the shattered plains, and notes how contemplative he's become in his old age. He steps onto the Oathgate platform with Navani, Taravangian, and Adrotagia. Navani asks if he's still disturbed by what happened in the vision; they've not published the encounter with Odium but they're still suspending using the visions to communicate with people, lest they become targeted by Odium as well. Though admittedly, Odium might well be able to reach them all in the real world anyway; being above the clouds hasn't given Dalinar as much perspective as he would have hoped. Taravangian and Adrotagia catch up, along with Malata and Dalinar's guard pulls up the rear. Rial salutes and this leads to some banter between Dalinar and Rial concluding with Rial declaring that he's forgotten all about the flask of whisky in his right leg pocket and he won't remember it until he's off duty again. Dalinar tells Navani he likes him, reminds him of the old crew back in the day. Mention is made that in theory they could transport between any of the two Oathgates, but for right now they have to pass through Urithiru first. There's a flash from the control building and Kaladin and Shallan arrive; Shallan bounces out, saying that just switching the buildings instead of the whole platform saves a lot of stormlight. Navani says that's probably one of many mistakes they've made. Kaladin says the queen is waiting to see Dalinar and says they should have no problems using the Highstorm to fly to Kholinar. Dalinar tells him to make sure Elhokar doesn't do something stupid, and also to pass over the south fork of the Deathbend river; that's Kaladin's land now. Kaladin says he doesn't want this burden. Dalinar says if he didn't want burdens he shouldn't have sworn the oaths. Besides, they'll be lucky if they still have a kingdom to burden them after all this is over and done with. They talk some more about the state of the war and Kaladin moves on. This leaves Dalinar to think about his own burden with Elhokar's highking arrangement. Dalinar wants to reclaim the capital before severing his ties to his homeland.

Dalinar enters the control building and Malata operates it with her Shardblade, which joins with the mechanism rather than sticking out through the wall and so they arrive in Thaylen City. Thaylen City is in absolute ruins, it had been situated such that it barely had to worry about the highstorm and so was completely unprepared for the devastation of the Everstorm; hundreds of buildings have collapsed and higher structures have collapsed down onto lower ones. The more modest buildings have weathered the Everstorms better, but the docks are just gone now. It leaves Dalinar realizing why Fen had refused his earlier demands, with most of the present destruction the product of the first Everstorm. There have been five total, with the following ones tamer than the first. Dalinar goes down the ramp to speak with Fen; she notes that they'd lived in luxury for too long and as a child she'd feared that they would be overrun with immigrants. She looks at the ruins of her city and sighs. Dalinar briefly compares Thaylen with Kharbranth, both famed for being largely untouched by the Highstorm, but Kharbranth's more southern orientation kept the devastation there down. Fen then says they'll do a tour, there are still places standing that are worth seeing.

Thoughts

That is very curious that Dalinar can't see the land under Urithiru, even when the clouds are out of the way. Very, very curious.

Kaladin owning land. Somehow I don't imagine he'll be all that involved with the day-to-day operation of that land.

After nearly 600 pages in Urithiru, its nice that we've got a new vista to enjoy. Even if that vista has been bashed to pieces.

Top Bottom