• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(Where I Read) Oathbringer

swordsman1612

Ring Slinger wannabe.
Validated User
While the worldbuilding around the interlude chapters is actually very nice, it doesn't seem all that relevant to the story I'm actually interested in... so I end up skipping the non-Szeth, Eshonai or Venli episodes that came along. even after reading them later, I felt some didn't add all that much to the story (Fisherman in the purelake, I'm looking at you)

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
While the worldbuilding around the interlude chapters is actually very nice, it doesn't seem all that relevant to the story I'm actually interested in... so I end up skipping the non-Szeth, Eshonai or Venli episodes that came along. even after reading them later, I felt some didn't add all that much to the story (Fisherman in the purelake, I'm looking at you)
Other than the fact that it set up the Purelake probably concealing a shardpool?

And I like the lobster version of a firelizard ^^

JasoMac

Validated User
That is actually one of the ones that stuck out to me too, who are these people and who are they looking for? I guess if its a mystery to everyone and not just me then I'm fine with it :)

Aegis98

Validated User
Welcome aboard JasoMac! I'm always happy to hear that someone's been enjoying these threads of mine! As it so happens, you have not only caught up with me, but you will all but certainly have gotten past me; I've been pretty busy of late and now that I've gotten into the college program that I have been aiming to get in for the past year or so, that business is going to continue.

Which means that I'm going to officially declare that I'm going to be posting on Saturday mornings around this time.

Loved all the discussion that took place this past week, and the reminder of some old mysteries that have yet to be resolved. Here's hoping that they get resolved by two new mysteries each. ;)

Chapter 64: Binder of Gods

Dalinar confirms that the Honorblade is still in the shaft where he'd hidden it. He touches it and expects more than his own anger at the assassin who'd wielded it against so many. He steps into the next room and looks at the blade of Jezerezeh'Elin and tells the Stormfather that some believe that he was one of the Heralds, since one of Jezerezeh's titles was Father of Storms. Stormfather replies that people say many things, and some said he was Kelek. He corrects Dalinar when he calls Jezerezeh a Windrunner, he was before the Windrunners and his powers had no name; the Windrunners were only named after Ishar founded the orders. Luck, mystery, priests, and a dozen other things, Ishar is now a mad Herald like all the others. Dalinar asks Stormfather if he knows where they all are, he says he only sees glimpses in the storms. Dalinar repeats the question, emphasizing that he wants want Stormfather *knows*. As it so happens, he does know where Ishar; he curses the Stormfather at night and has named himself a God, and seeks his own death and possibly everyone. Something clicks in Dalinar and he realizes that Tezim the God-Priest of Tukar is the Herald Ishar. He asks why Ishar's been waging war against Emul, and Stormfather says he's mad, there's no point in trying to figure out why. Dalinar questions Stormfather, when were you planning on telling me about this? When you asked, when else? Dalinar gets frustrated, but he calms himself; Stormfather is a spren, getting angry at him will not work. He moves on to asking if Stormfather knew about his powers, and Stormfather says he did as soon as Dalinar did, and he'll always have known as soon as Dalinar discovers the rest of his powers. There will be no rushing this, his powers will come when he is ready and at no other time. Besides, everyone else's powers are trifles next to his, and putting the statues together was just a party trick. Dalinar has Ishar's power, he who was called Binder of Gods. He founded the Oathpact, Dalinar's power is Connection, he joins men and worlds, minds and souls and your surges are the greatest all. Stormfather's words bear down on Dalinar and he instincitvely draws in stormlight to heal a headache. Dalinar asks if there are others like him. Not at this time, and at any time there can only be three, one for each of us. He asks if Cultivation is one of them, and Stormfather laughs; he'd like to see you try to bind her. In any event, don't worry about the Stormfather's siblings. Dalinar thinks he should be concerned, but has learned when to stop pressing the Stormfather. So Dalinar picks up a dun sphere and asks if he's ever asked the Stormfather how he renews them. Stormfather explains; in a storm Honor's power is concentrated and pierces the three realms and the gemstones are exposed to the infinite power of the spiritual realm and are lit by it. Dalinar asks if he can renew the sphere right now. Stormfather hadn't thought about that and tries.

It doesn't work; the power is with the storm. This is still more than Dalinar usually got from him and he hopes to recite it exactly to Navani, though if he does get it wrong Stormfather is sure to correct him. He hates to be misquoted. Dalinar steps out to meet Bridge Four, Honorblade in hand. He offers the weapon to them so that at least one of them can continue their training while Kaladin is gone, but no one is eager to take it up. Except for Rock, who justifies carrying a weapon by saying he's not going to swing it, he's keeping him safe. During this conversation, Dalinar realizes he forgot that the Honorblade granted healing powers, and maybe they can use stormlight to heal themselves. He tells Bridge Four to keep it secret and see if they can figure out how to summon and dismiss it like a Shardblade. Then the clock fabrial on Dalinar's arm makes a ding; Navani had learned to make it ding. He's got to take off now, he has an appointment with an emperor a thousand miles away to keep.

Dalinar is now on his balcony staring out at the Oathgate transport platforms. Fen is there, saying she did a lot of business with the Azish when she was younger and while the plan might not work it is better than the typical Alethi strutting. Navani does not like her husband going alone, but Fen cites the things he did back in the Thaylen capital, he'll be fine. Navani says Stormlight won't help if they just hold him prisoner and he became a hostage. They are arguing for his benefit to make sure he understands the risks. He does and he gives Navani a kiss. He turns to Fen who gives him a large envelope; there are three glyphs inside as well as a spanreed. Navani is still not on board with Dalinar doing this but Dalinar wants to try Fen's idea. Navani gives Dalinar a small box, but its not a fabrial, its lunch; who knows what they'll try to feed him there. Also, if he goes an hour without flicking the spanreed on and off, they'll know something's gone wrong. A way for him to communicate without writing, and an old general's trick for when you don't have a scribe. Dalinar makes his way to the Oathgate and passes by soldiers holding drills, and soldiers staring intently at the spheres in their hands and some even talking about swallowing them. Stormfather rumbles with displeasure, they've got it backwards; you have to approach Radiance first and then you can look for the Light to fulfill that promise. Dalinar yells at them to get back to training and not swallow their spheres. They obey, but then Dalinar passes through a mock battle, and angerspren are boiling at their feet. They soon turn to real violence, one side Sadeas's men, the other Aladar's. There is a lot of shouting and arguing and then stormlight rushes shimmers along the stone from Dalinar and anyone caught up in it is now stuck where they are. All but the most furious have stopped fighting. Dalinar pushes those remaining ones down and when they see him they look chagrinned. Dalinar can remember being that wrapped up in battle, the Thrill, which he hasn't felt in a long time. He's going to have to have the men questioned to see if any of them had felt the Thrill. Dalinar releases the men from the stormlight, Aladar's men withdraw in orderly fashion while Sadeas's men do not. They're getting worse with Amaram in charge, Amaram's never had this many men under his command before and with the murder of Sadeas it may be beyond him to restore morale. Aladar has discovered nothing about Torol's murder and there are no leads. Dalinar then realizes hey, he can have Sadeas's men sent to do hard labor in Thaylen City to keep their minds off things. He arrives at the platform and tells Jasnah this and she approves. They'll send small batches to make sure this is actually a good idea, and Dalinar asks if they've heard back from the infiltration team. They have not but they'll tell him as soon as they have something. Dalinar shoves down his worry for Elhokar and Adolin. Jasnah summons her Shardblade and it looks so natural to Dalinar for her to hold a sword. Lift had used her shardblade on the other side, so now they can make the trip. Jasnah takes him to Azir, where its summer and the air has spices and different woods to smell. Jasnah wishes her uncle luck and returns to Urithiru, leaving him all alone.

Thoughts

Even if an experiment doesn't pan out, its still important to try. You're still learning something new and somewhere down the line what you learn will come in handy. Whether what Dalinar and Stormfather learned from trying to renew the sphere without the storm will help in time for this crisis, that is yet to be seen.

A Herald who has become a mad god-king. I'm sure they won't have to worry about that while dealing with the Voidbringers.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Mad, but not too mad to command the loyalty of a nation apparently.

So we learn a lot, both about why Highstorms do what they do and about the whole Become A Radiant process.

Building tensions still. Keeping soldiers busy is very important.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Yeah, why would a legendary, divine (in myth even if not in reality, given there's a lot unclear about what heraldom involves) hero going mad possibly prove to become a problem?

Also, it turns out that it's handy to be able to hide an Honorblade by simply making it disappear. Who knew?

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
XD I keep forgetting how long this book is. So much happens in it.

By the way, for those keeping score, Sanderson is a little more than halfway through the rough draft for Stormlight 4.

JasoMac

Validated User
I am ahead now, I've been stopping and starting on this thread as I came to my current chapters but now its full speed ahead. I haven't finished yet but when I do I will have to go back and read the spoiler blocked sections that were marked Oathbringer to see all the things I didn't catch before.

One of the things I've found interesting is the way technological development happens in this series. We keep having spren telling characters that they are doing things differently than they did in the past but that is likely because in the past they always had the Radiants as a constant to maintain a knowledge base every time the Desolation Reset Button was hit. All these things that they are doing now the Radiants probably had a different way of accomplishing a similar effect, whether that method was more or less efficient or effective than what the current society has innovated we may never know. They never needed the "half Shard" shields because in the past Shardblades (and presumably Plate) was a renewable resource, you could just get more by making new Radiants. Now that we know the time frame between Desolations this all makes sense, they have had waaayyy more time since the previous Desolation for technology to develop than they ever did before but it had to start largely from scratch after the Recreance. It seems like nobody every tried directly asking the Stormfather to just infuse their spheres, that would suggest that the Radiants didn't have as big an issue with running out of Stormlight. Maybe they had ways of holding it more efficiently that modern Radiants or maybe they had some kind of battery (like that column covered in gems back in Urithru?) that helped them avoid running out of Stormlight. I'm sure they occasionally had to fight during the Weeping and running out of power seems like the kind of thing they would want to avoid.

The other thing I was curious about in this chapter was the Stormfather talking about his "siblings". I get Cultivation/the Nightwatcher is one but who is the other? Does Odium get to make a Bondsmith? If so, I get a feeling that Taravangian might become a Radiant before this series is over...

JMobius

Deus Ex Vir
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The other thing I was curious about in this chapter was the Stormfather talking about his "siblings". I get Cultivation/the Nightwatcher is one but who is the other? Does Odium get to make a Bondsmith? If so, I get a feeling that Taravangian might become a Radiant before this series is over...
Not Odium directly, but there's almost certainly a third great Spren linked to him in some way. That's not to say he's necessarily as sinister as his progenitor, as the Stormfather's defensive attitude towards it seems to me to imply. Some of the epigraphs seem to suggest that it collaborated with the Radiants, as well.

Top Bottom