• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Where I Read: Worm

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
I think it's a really strange kind of rivalry. They are both frequently underestimated individuals who are both of the right kind of mad genius to be very effective at whatever they decide they want to do. It's made somewhat worse by the way that Jack seems to see Skitter as a lost opportunity, perhaps the greatest lost opportunity oh his entire career. Take a second look at the times when he talks about her powers and how she uses them, mostly when he was pretending to be Grue. He regrets not trying to recruit Taylor sense in another time and place, she would have be the jewel in the Slaughterhouse's bloody Crown. Her powers are already perfect for how they operate, and can you imagine her working alongside Bonesaw?

Taylor has the problem of, in her own mind, slipping further and further from where he started, look at the scene where she has come back to her lair, she fears becoming a monster, and she sees that monstrous potential in her heart in Jack, who you might recall as being described as rather unremarkable looking.

Yeah, this is not my favorite part of the serial. Hell, I can get having Amy end up in the Birdcage, she is one of a handful of people on the world who might honestly be able to flat out kill everyone and everything alive on the entire planet. And in her despair and stress, she spends too much time thinking about that fact, and well if she stars rambling about it all the time, well...
Oh a related note, Amy has one of the most horrifically abusive childhoods I have ever seen, and I'm a fan of Nanoha.
No seriously, Brandish is just a terrible mother who beat horrid idea into the head of the, in her mind, monster she was expected to play mother too, made worse by the blatant favoritism she showed to her other daughter. How Amy is capable of functioning in society at all is a mystery to me.
Yeah, if Taylor ever went full S9 she'd very quickly acquire a body count with four digits. Especially if Bonesaw either improved her power/her control over it, or created some new species for her (Bonesaw, champion of biodiversity!).

On the other hand, I get the feeling either her or Jack would wind up dead soon enough. They both occupy the same sort of role, and despite similarities their minds work in really quite different ways.

And most abusive, really? When Rachel's right there?
Gave Amy a moral compass which didn't read Right/Wrong or Compassionate/Cruel, but instead Superhero/Supervillain.

Fuck her.
Really Pancea is just such a walking heap of wasted potential. Like, infectious diseases should really not be a major problem in Earth-Bet, and there should be a major medical industry in Brockton Bay based on analyzing the things she made that aren't contagious.

Sanctaphrax

Registred User
Validated User
Eh, Brandish wasn't that bad. Teaching your children a flawed moral philosophy isn't abuse by a long shot.

She was bad, but not that bad.

Incidentally, I thought Birdcaging Amy was incredibly dumb. But I don't recall finding it implausible. Just incredibly dumb.

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User
Okay, I must have missed it or skimmed past it on my first read-through. What did Brandish do that would make it a horrifically abusive childhood?

All I can recall is that she was evidently kind of cold to Amy and never really able to love her, but I must have missed some kind of overt emotional abuse from the way you're describing it.
Neglect has the potential to be just as damaging as any other kind of abuse, and while, thankfully, we don't get details, treating a young child like she is a monster just waiting to spread murder and misery throughout the world is horrible.

Granted, with Rachael around, Amy doesn't get the award for "Worst Childhood Ever," but I freely admit that's the result of me working very hard not to remember that chapter.

I really don't like abusive parents, and I take issue with neglect being treated as any lesser a form of abuse than any other.

Jim Lee

Banned
Eh, Brandish wasn't that bad. Teaching your children a flawed moral philosophy isn't abuse by a long shot.

She was bad, but not that bad.
Teaching Amy that specific kind of fucked up moral philosophy, knowing who her father is and that she will one day find out, raising her in a family of superheroes, having her exposed to all that on a constant basis? On top of that, failing to rein her in and force her to look after herself for her own sake, allowing her to run herself ragged, desperately trying to earn a scrap of self worth by healing people, until she burns out?

Brandish set Amy up to fail. As a mother, she pretty comprehensively fucked Amy's life.

Tattletale didn't help, mind. Thing is, this doesn't absolve Tattletale...but the weaknesses she used to fuck Amy up were largely the result of her flawed upbringing.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Neglect has the potential to be just as damaging as any other kind of abuse, and while, thankfully, we don't get details, treating a young child like she is a monster just waiting to spread murder and misery throughout the world is horrible.

(snip)

I really don't like abusive parents, and I take issue with neglect being treated as any lesser a form of abuse than any other.
Could you quote some specific lines where you're pulling "neglect" or "treating like a monster" from?

Wildbow

Retired User
Could you quote some specific lines where you're pulling "neglect" or "treating like a monster" from?
Treating like a monster might be a little overboard, but they're accurate in reading scenes where Amy was neglected.

Carol's word choice is one hint here - you can read the interlude that was just covered and note how Carol refers to Amy vs. how she refers to Victoria. The words aren't hateful, but Amy is 'amy' and Victoria is 'my daughter'. She says, outright, "I don't want her" while the child is in earshot, and then when Lady Photon says "You could grow to love and trust that little girl, too.” Carol's (later, connecting) thought is "Liar".

Look at Amy's conversation with Gallant... "Carol never really wanted me. Mark is clinically depressed, so as nice as he is, he’s too focused on himself to really be a dad."

Interlude 11.h, It had always been Victoria, only Victoria, who made her feel like she had a family here.

Then later, same interlude, What Amy felt from her ‘mother’ was a chill. She knew that she was only justifying the darker suspicions Carol had harbored towards her since she was first brought into the family. It was doubly crushing now, because Amy knew about Marquis. Amy knew that Carol was thinking the same thing she was.

Carol didn't reach out, she wasn't warm, she wasn't a mother. At best, Amy was a person living in their house. At worst, Amy was someone suspicious, Marquis' daughter. So Amy never really had a 'home', a safe haven to retreat to. If you want to read between the lines, the fact that she'd go out at night to visit the hospital (and that nobody was stopping her) might indicate more about her feelings at home. She wasn't mistreated. She got fed, she got clothes. Mark (Flashbang) even tried to be a warmer dad when he was up to it, but that's something as rare as the sun coming out in the UK - brief and unpredictable bouts of good in the midst of a perpetually overcast setting. In the end, all she really had was Victoria.

Last edited:

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User
Thank you, Wildbow, yes that was mostly what I was referring too.
Treating like a monster might be a little overboard, but they're accurate in reading scenes where Amy was neglected.

Carol didn't reach out, she wasn't warm, she wasn't a mother. At best, Amy was a person living in their house. At worst, Amy was someone suspicious, Marquis' daughter. So Amy never really had a 'home', a safe haven to retreat to. If you want to read between the lines, the fact that she'd go out at night to visit the hospital (and that nobody was stopping her) might indicate more about her feelings at home. She wasn't mistreated. She got fed, she got clothes. Mark (Flashbang) even tried to be a warmer dad when he was up to it, but that's something as rare as the sun coming out in the UK - brief and unpredictable bouts of good in the midst of a perpetually overcast setting. In the end, all she really had was Victoria.
This was mostly what I meant by "treated like a monster," not as if she was some horrible thing that would kill them all in their sleep, but regarding Amy with constant suspicion, the perpetual expectation of her being just like him, that tension is no good to anyone, to someone who has no where safe to go? No place where they can feel like themselves without shame or fear? Thats a special kind of Hell.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
Thank you, Wildbow, yes that was mostly what I was referring too.

This was mostly what I meant by "treated like a monster," not as if she was some horrible thing that would kill them all in their sleep, but regarding Amy with constant suspicion, the perpetual expectation of her being just like him, that tension is no good to anyone, to someone who has no where safe to go? No place where they can feel like themselves without shame or fear? Thats a special kind of Hell.
Yeah Carol should have put her foot down and said I cant be this child's mother.

I mean all the reasons they put put Amy with her are solvable, but well if she had that force of will she probobly wouldn't have had Victoria either.

Vagabond ZOD

Just some guy, you know?
Validated User
It's been a while since I read the conclusion to the S9 storyline, but I remember feeling Jack's philosophic jabbering with Panacea was kind of garbage. I'm not talking he's a horrible person, I'm talking high-school philosophy class trying to be edgey. To be fair, that might have been because he was tailoring arguments to Panacea. But I lost a bit of respect for the S9 at that point. They were still evil monsters, but they seemed more like petty evil monsters.

Top Bottom