• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Where I Read: Worm

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
They were still evil monsters, but they seemed more like petty evil monsters.
Jack and Shatterbird want to be in the history books. Burnscar burns shit. Crawler just wants to hurt and be hurt in turn. Mannequin kills people who look like they're going to succeed where he failed. Cherish ... Cherish is an idiot. Bonesaw just likes to fuck shit up in biotinkery ways.

Frankly, it's pretty clear they are petty monsters.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's been a while since I read the conclusion to the S9 storyline, but I remember feeling Jack's philosophic jabbering with Panacea was kind of garbage. I'm not talking he's a horrible person, I'm talking high-school philosophy class trying to be edgey. To be fair, that might have been because he was tailoring arguments to Panacea. But I lost a bit of respect for the S9 at that point. They were still evil monsters, but they seemed more like petty evil monsters.
That was part of what bugged me with Jack in this storyline. The narrative just seems a lot more impressed with him than I think he's really earned at this point.

Jim Lee

Banned
Well, yes.

Let me point something out which (surprise) undercuts the sheer awfulness of the world in Worm.

Jack Slash is wrong.
He's not some enlightened saint of murder. He's a petty asshole whose real talents are a) murdering people and b) efficiently managing other murderers. Of course he's petty. Of course his arguments are edgy and juvenile. He's wrong. His choices for S9 recruits in Brockton Bay were pretty much a total failure. His Slaughterhouse couldn't recruit Bitch. He failed to get Alec. His choice of Oni Lee was flawed immediately. He could fuck Panacea up, but he couldn't truly talk her into joining him. He had to kidnap Hookwolf while the Nazi was under the effects of the identity washing miasma.

The big secret about Jack is that he's not some grand inhuman monster whose very essence is evil. He's just a murdering dirtbag who lucked into power and powerful companions. It doesn't make him less frightening. Just....less impressive.

RazorSmile

Threadkiller
Validated User
That was part of what bugged me with Jack in this storyline. The narrative just seems a lot more impressed with him than I think he's really earned at this point.
Heh. It *is* ridiculous, isn't it. A man whose power is that he can cut things real good from hella far somehow surviving so long as a wrangler of monsters and psychopaths all more powerful than himself.

Alternatively, what Jim Lee said. Yes.

Last edited:

Broblawsky0

Son of Liberty
Validated User
That's fair. I honestly don't think Jack is particularly smart - but he is, despite that, remarkably successful.

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User
Jack Slash is wrong.
He's not some enlightened saint of murder.
The big secret about Jack is that he's not some grand inhuman monster whose very essence is evil. He's just a murdering dirtbag who lucked into power and powerful companions. It doesn't make him less frightening. Just....less impressive.
Yeah, its... honestly one of the more hopeful parts of the setting. The Joker-Buddha wannabe just likes to hear himself talk, hes not really the harbinger of some dark truth, he is nothing more than a lucky idiot.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, its... honestly one of the more hopeful parts of the setting. The Joker-Buddha wannabe just likes to hear himself talk, hes not really the harbinger of some dark truth, he is nothing more than a lucky idiot.
Who is also going to end the world in two years.

Korror

Storyteller
Validated User
The S9 arcs you're reading are probably the nadir of Worm at least for me. Don't get me wrong, they're still chock full of great moments like Taylor's takedown of Manikin but they're draining to read and there's an a lot of chapters which basically boil down to "Awful people do awful things and our heroes try to stop them and fail". I like the dark tone of Worm but the S9 was just a little too much for me.

Doesn't help either that I loathe Jack Slash as both a person and a character. There are other villains in worm that I loathe as people but enjoy as characters. For example, Coil is a horrible person but an interesting villain and makes Taylor's life entertainly complex. Jack Slash is a horrible person for the reasons that Jim Lee pointed out but, in these arcs, it feels like he only survives due to a heavy suit of plot armor. Whether that is accurate is up to discussion but would probably involve spoilers so I'm not going to go into it more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom