• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Where I Read: Worm

Shay Guy

Validated User
sun_tzu has not, in fact, gotten that far yet; he's still early in the Noelle arc, as his last post made quite clear. An edit would be appreciated.

Rabbit

Validated User
Think about it though. The Wards back when she started out were in a disastrous state. None of them had any experience with their powers, despite some having had them for years, because Piggot was not letting them out on the streets unless it was an emergency. In addition, it would have been a horrible environment for Taylor, what with Shadow Stalker being herself, Clockblocker and Kid Win (the ones she might have bonded with) being emotionally distant and Vista fawning over Gallant. Things only started improving when Weld was brought in.
If on her first night the Undersiders/Armsmaster encounter had gone down differently. How well do people think Skitter would have fitted in to the Wards? I assume she would be probationary like all new capes, but unlike Sophia she would have started on reasonably good terms. How would that have played out? How would Taylor knowing Sophia's identity have effected the situation in school?

Jim Lee

Banned
If on her first night the Undersiders/Armsmaster encounter had gone down differently. How well do people think Skitter would have fitted in to the Wards? I assume she would be probationary like all new capes, but unlike Sophia she would have started on reasonably good terms. How would that have played out? How would Taylor knowing Sophia's identity have effected the situation in school?
If she goes to the Wards on her first night, then:

- She only fights Lung once, and is saved by the intervention of the Undies and Armsmaster.
- She never fights Bakuda.
- She never fights Oni Lee.
- She never takes part in the ABB campaign at all, in fact.
- She never rolls with supervillains and beats the fuck out of gangsters.
- She never steals kisses from the big handsome bloke.
- She likely never goes hand to hand with Leviathan and shanks him in his scaly arse with a broken arm and a stolen halberd.
- She never goes toe to toe with Mannequin and makes him pay for killing her people.
- She never takes command of the Undersiders/Travelers alliance and goes streetfighting with the Nine.
- She never rides to the rescue of the Protectorate on a giant fucking beetle and bombs the fuck out of Mannequin and Crawler.
- She never looks Jack Slash in the eye and tells him to go fuck himself.
- She never fights Triumph and Prism and kicks both of their asses simultaneously with a perfect KO.
- She never busts out of a burning building while the guy with the multiple timelines power keeps yelling at his men not to use grenades.
- She never points a gun at the head of Coil and pulls the trigger.

Spoiler: Show

Last edited:

Rabbit

Validated User
Not exactly what I'm asking. Taylor has two missed chances for joining the Wards

1) Her first night with the Undies/Armsmaster and Lung
2) After the Leviathan fight in the hospital.

At the time of 1) she doesnt know that Sophia is a Ward, by the time of 2) she does and it is one of the reasons she turns down the offer to join. So cut back to the first night, "bug girl" meets Armsmaster who basically talks her into the Wards. Taylor at some point discovers Sophia is her team mate. Taylor is a new Ward in good standing, Sophia is there because the alternative is Juvie. I assume their school gets informed that Taylor is a Ward and to cut her slack much as they were informed for Sophia. Taylor will probably be better liked amongst the Wards, meaning that as super's their peer group popularity is the opposite of what they have in school.

How does that pan out?

Solarn

Validated User
I'm not sure, honestly. Clockblocker and Kid Win are still not really socializing at that point due to their own circumstances, Gallant is probably the kind of person who would rub Taylor the wrong way through no fault of his own, Vista is fawning over Gallant, and I don't know enough about Aegis. She wouldn't have had any friends at least at the start.

Not to mention that she wouldn't have become as comfortable or proficient with her powers as she did, because she wouldn't have had the opportunity to practice. That would have affected everything because the Leviathan and Slaughterhouse 9 fights would have gone differently.

katreus

yAhLoR~!
Validated User
Fire and destruction.

More seriously, my guess would be Lisa's seriously cheating with her power to both understand Taylor (Taylor's body language is really hard to read for many people) and keep her engaged in the group to build friendships and she's focused on helping Taylor in a way that none of the other Wards would be. The Wards are an okay group but they have somewhat dysfunctional team relationships (and of course, they're all focused on their own issues). This is exacerbated by the policies regarding Wards.

1. Shadow Stalker -
a - Taylor folds when SS subtly bullies her and excludes her and is more depressed, disillusioned, and miserable. Without any support structure and safe space to recover her self esteem, she unknowingly and successfully executes her original plan.
(suicide by villain)

b - Taylor is pissed and fights with SS. She gets in trouble with Piggot and her distrust for authorities is reinforced. She starts circumventing her bosses in order to actually do something about the villains in the city and chafes at the restrictions. This only leads to more trouble with Piggot and the PRT bureaucracy.

2. Gallant - May try to engage her but as a teenage boy who's somewhat focused on his own issues and no great control over his powers, he rubs her the wrong way. Tattletale is good enough to obscure what she's doing from Taylor. Gallant's power is too well known and he's too heavyhanded. He misreads the problem and ends up just trying to give Taylor space.

3. Aegis - Has to reign Taylor in when she tries to engage in fights against the major gangs. Somewhat adverserial relationship. Taylor disagrees on her teammates' lack of (intense) training.

4. Vista - Tries to befriend her. Taylor tries to reciprocate. Results in incredibly socially awkward conversations that Vista may or may not power through. May end up never really connecting if SS interrupts and needles Taylor. Vista is focused on Gallant though and Taylor will want to stay away from high school dramas like this.

5. Clockblocker and Kid Win - Get along well enough, but probably press some buttons and make her self-conscious re: her bugs and power. No one notices and Taylor feels isolated and put down.

Taylor probably ends up a strange mirror to Shadow Stalker. She'll be on the outside looking in, a weird, isolated, and depressed loner that consistently pushes for more dangerous / risky but rewarding actions against gangs and butts heads with team leader Aegis and Piggot. Taylor will want the Wards to be effective and actually accomplish actions against gangs. She'll want to be proactive - recon and hit gang stash houses and members. When confronted with gang problems, she'll want to engage and escalate to actually win. Piggot wants the Wards to be PR puff pieces to parade out in good photoshoots where they stop small time crime. Either Taylor will end up dying, she'll be frustrated and leave to be a vigilante, or she'll barely survive being sacked from the Wards / put on probation with an incredibly bad relationship with Piggot.

The Wards will probably be better fighters though given that Taylor will probably suggest ways to use their power and will pick fight with the gangs. She has enough range to be able to find a lot more gang problems than the rest of the Wards would.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Validated User
Fire and destruction.

More seriously, my guess would be Lisa's seriously cheating with her power to both understand Taylor (Taylor's body language is really hard to read for many people) and keep her engaged in the group to build friendships and she's focused on helping Taylor in a way that none of the other Wards would be. The Wards are an okay group but they have somewhat dysfunctional team relationships (and of course, they're all focused on their own issues). This is exacerbated by the policies regarding Wards

The Wards will probably be better fighters though given that Taylor will probably suggest ways to use their power and will pick fight with the gangs. She has enough range to be able to find a lot more gang problems than the rest of the Wards would.
This is close to what I think would have happened also. The Wards seem less like heroes in training and more a place where you dump "youngsters with powers" to keep them out of society's hair. What's interesting though is that while some people may not like that Taylor went villain in the end it was probably the least bad option (at least for her.) I admit I spent the first few chapters waiting for the other shoe to drop, for Tattletale to work out that Skitter was planning to sell them out and for the Undies to turn on her. When Lisa stood by Taylor after the hospital revelation it was a huge relief that someone would resist the chance to kick Taylor when she was down.

Solarn

Validated User
Also, I just checked where sun_tzu is now and I think I want a story about some of those dangerous Bonesaw-level Tinkers that we never got to see. Rattenfänger, Jamestowner, Mosaic and Monstrum. Each of them apparently capable of at least trying to create their own Endbringer.

Wildbow

Retired User
I think I want a story about some of those dangerous Bonesaw-level Tinkers that we never got to see. Rattenfänger, Jamestowner, Mosaic and Monstrum. Each of them apparently capable of at least trying to create their own Endbringer.
They're explicitly stated as not being strong enough, but the theory goes that they could find some outside means for cooperation or a power boost/second trigger.

Solarn

Validated User
They're explicitly stated as not being strong enough, but the theory goes that they could find some outside means for cooperation or a power boost/second trigger.
Still want to see them in a story.

Also, now I am caught up again. Reading goes a lot faster when you already know most of the lines. Sun_tzu, read faster so I can go further ahead without worrying about spoiling you!

Top Bottom