• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Where I Read: Worm

Wildbow

Retired User
I think part of the problem with the PRT vs Undies argument is the nature of the story itself. Skitter needs a reason to be a bad guy. It wasn't her original choice it isn't her natural inclination. By putting the reader in her head the author pretty much has to justify the decision to be a villain, hence the Undies have to be cool and the PRT have to be assholes. To a degree he/she does this by always making those they are fighting worse than the Undies themselves, so the reader gets to chose the lesser of two evils.

Without getting too Doylist about it the PRT exists the way that it does to prevent Skitter becoming a hero despite her own inclinations. I don't see a problem with that being part of the narrative.
Except the PRT was largely the same when I wrote stories from Aegis' perspective (early on), and from Armsmaster's perspective, or Miss Militia's (then called 'Assault', and a little more reckless, but I digress).

The setting was cobbled together from a hundred different short snippets I wrote. The reason I gravitated towards Taylor was largely because she had the ability to interact with many of the key setting elements from the outset. She came after the rest of the setting did, almost.

Up until the day I wrote Shadow Stalker's interlude (Sentinel arc), I hadn't decided on Taylor going full-on villain. I came darn close to flipping a coin, as far as deciding to have her return to the Undersiders (I'm kidding - it was rooted in story events, but I debated it heavily), with the alternative being Taylor striking out on her own as a hero and eventually finding her way to compromise with the heroes and trying to struggle against the screwed up system, (with a tertiary relationship to the Undersiders and other local villains in the midst of the S9 event, which I was still considering at that point).

Last edited:

Jim Lee

Banned
the alternative being Taylor striking out on her own as a hero and eventually finding her way to compromise with the heroes and trying to struggle against the screwed up system, (with a tertiary relationship to the Undersiders and other local villains in the midst of the S9 event, which I was still considering at that point).
That would have been awesome.

And I still would have considered the PRT to be more full of horrible dicks than a urologist's waiting room.

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User
This arc was where I dropped worm. Just way to much fight scene for my taste, and Echidna is basically not a person by this point so she makes a very boring antagonest.

But most of the internet seems to enjoy it. I wish I wasn't so jaded when it comes to fiction.
I held on a few more arcs, but I really can't agree more about Echidna, the Endbringers have better characterization, and their effectively malevolent forces of nature. I muddled through this part by paying more attention to the clones who were at least only mostly walking plot devices. Noelle would have been interesting if we, you know, knew anything about her, but we really don't. And so the monster that takes her face just feels... vapid.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
I'm not sure where it's mentioned, but IIRC "Healers" are actually fairly rare, as are meat-tinkers in general. Plus given how Pancea fucked up, it's entirely possible Glory Girl *is* "healed" as far as any passenger cares to notice.
I'll point something out later.

Anorexia, wasn't it? On Aleph there's a mention or two of Marisa having to badger her to actually eat, which isn't usually how bulimia goes. But yeah, uncontrollable hunger, constantly growing larger and more monstrous. Plus how her issues with dealing with people interact with her powers. As I said a few posts ago, just needlessly cruel Ironic Hell.
Not sure, but Ironic Hell definately.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Validated User
I'm still confused about what happened to her. She got turned onto some sort of idealized version of herself, but can't do more than blink?

And no healer can fix this?
The descriptions said that her _parts_ were turned into idealized versions. Just the problem was that there was MORE of them than there should be, and in the wrong places. "Her flesh was spilling out of the bed onto the floor". Most likely she looks like something from Lovecraft.

Plus her mind is fucked up as badly as her body. I mean, her personality has basically been erased and rewritten as "Need to love Amy!!11".

IMSabbel

Validated User
Except the PRT was largely the same when I wrote stories from Aegis' perspective (early on), and from Armsmaster's perspective, or Miss Militia's (then called 'Assault', and a little more reckless, but I digress).
Well, to be a smartass: The fact that you felt the need to comment on this means that he did had a point, right?

Jim Lee

Banned
Well, to be a smartass: The fact that you felt the need to comment on this means that he did had a point, right?
What?

How, exactly, did you come to this conclusion?

Rabbit said "Well, the PRT kind of had to be jackbooted assholes in order for Taylor's personal story to make sense, and for her to be a halfway sympathetic protagonist."

Then Wildbow came in and said "Actually, the PRT were kind of like that in every draft of the story, including versions where the protagonist wasn't Taylor at all, and was sometimes one of the Wards, or New Wave."

What? "You felt the need to correct a misunderstanding, therefore the person you're talking to was at least somewhat on target."?

EDIT: Sorry, I think that came across as a lot more hostile than I meant. I'm just sort of confused, as to how a direct contradiction somehow proves the corrected statement right.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Validated User
Rabbit said "Well, the PRT kind of had to be jackbooted assholes in order for Taylor's personal story to make sense, and for her to be a halfway sympathetic protagonist."
Wow, that is full on brilliant. No lie if I ever write some huge project I'm coming to you to the synopsis!

Jim Lee

Banned
Wat.

Rabbit I am genuinely uncertain whether you're being sarcastic.

If you think my summary of your statement was wrong or uncharitable, my honest apologies, I'll go take a second look.

Rabbit

Validated User
Wat.

Rabbit I am genuinely uncertain whether you're being sarcastic.

If you think my summary of your statement was wrong or uncharitable, my honest apologies, I'll go take a second look.
My admiration is entirely sincere. I wish I could be so concise. You nailed my point in one sentence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom