[Where I Watch] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic The Third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
In 100 pages, I recapped 12 episodes. So, yeah....

Here's the new one! Once again, you bronies...

...no, we bronies, we're crazy. Let's get down to it.

Theories on alicorns in FiM - go!

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User

Yay new thread time, onto the question in hand.

As far as I'm concerned at the moment the Royal Sisters are it, whether they're the last survivors or there always two there have been the sun and the moon is up to debate. Personally I prefer the second.

Whether a pony can become an alicorn is another matter and I've seen a few good takes on it in fanfic.

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
And yet they have completely opposite brands of OCD. Twilight could care less about appearances and has the housekeeping of a bear with furniture, and yet completely loses her shit any time her 'important duties' are not going according to plan. Rarity, meanwhile, freaks out at THE WORST! POSSIBLE! THING! over every triviality and is a world-class neat freak and superficiality artist... and yet during times of genuine crisis, she's completely calm and able to improvise easily on the fly.

If the two of them learned how to mix and match neuroses a bit, they'd be unstoppable. :)
Alternatively you could construct a new, even *more* broken pony :D
If we add enough of Pinkie Pie's foolishness, could we end up recreating some of the Generation 3 ponies?

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
... going off on a tangent, its amusing that both of the unicorns on the Mane Six are serious OCD cases. Is it a unicorn thing in general?

And yet they have completely opposite brands of OCD. Twilight could care less about appearances and has the housekeeping of a bear with furniture, and yet completely loses her shit any time her 'important duties' are not going according to plan. Rarity, meanwhile, freaks out at THE WORST! POSSIBLE! THING! over every triviality and is a world-class neat freak and superficiality artist... and yet during times of genuine crisis, she's completely calm and able to improvise easily on the fly.

If the two of them learned how to mix and match neuroses a bit, they'd be unstoppable. :)
My own personal theory about relationships is that they work best when both parties' respective insanities complement each other and they add up to a single sane person. For this reason, Twilight and Rarity might make the perfect couple.

EDIT: vvv I subscribe to the idea that Twilight made the Smartypants doll herself that day. It explains why it's so... silly.
Didn't she call if "my old Miss Smartypants doll"? I figured her parents probably made it for her, if it wasn't an actual sold-in-stores toy.

Also, someone actually made a show-accurate Miss Smartypants doll themselves. It was ADORABLE.

There's actually an animation mistake in the magic kindergarten bit where there's an Alicorn filly who picked up the fan name Pluto who then promptly disappeared with out a trace. I think even the Oranges get more love.
On another thread someone advanced the theory that she's just a unicorn and made the wings herself.

Not with magic, but with cardboard and poster paint.

There's that, and I also saw the objection that the other five shouldn't have been roped into sharing responsibility for what was already a cushy job for Twilight Sparkle.
Yes, because writing a periodic letter to the princess at no fixed schedule is such an onerous task...

Besides, she probably figured it was something they could bond over, and would keep all of them mindful of the lessons learned, which is valid reasoning in light of the fact that maintaining their friendship is a legitimate national security issue.

Regarding Twilight's Failsafe spell from S2E01: My theory is that Twilight started researching that spell after one of the many times Ponyville got trashed (maybe Boast Busters, and certainly by Swarm of the Century), which is why we never see damage in later episodes. By the time of the chocolate rain, she's gotten to the point where she can cast it fairly readily, but since she's using Magic A, it doesn't work against Discord's Magic Q. In Lesson Zero, when Celestia comes down and straightens everything right the heck out, I think we're seeing the same spell, cast by someone who can toss it off with no effort.

Think about the power level here - Twilight can reasonably expect to, at least on a local level, release her own world-healing wave. If this were D&D 3.x, I'd say she had researched her first epic spell (and Celestia's Acana rank is so high she auto-succeeds). Twi of course, doesn't find anything noteworthy about this. [/self-indulgent rambling]
I'd figured it was an AoE dispel, maybe even something like Mordenkainen's disjunction. It didn't work against Discord's freakiness because her caster level wasn't high enough.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Regarding Lesson Zero:

-Nightmare Moon escapes --> Celestia delegates
-Huge dragon breathing smoke over Equestra --> Celestia delegates
-Parasprites in Fillydelphia --> Celestia takes the leisurely route there in her chariot
-Rarity and the Wonderbolts falling to their death --> Celestia doesn't budge.
-Discord running free --> Celestia delegates

-Twilight Spark running amok - Celestia teleports in the instant she can safely set the sun down and busts out magic like it's running out of style, desperate to clamp down on the situation hard.

Fans may argue about best-pony, but we may have identified most-dangerous pony!

cliffc999

Validated User
-Discord running free --> Celestia delegates
I'll point out that this was a threat Celestia couldn't actually do a durn thing against on her own hook, so delegating it to the Element Holders isn't so much a case of 'not worth my time' as 'they're the only ones for the job, and I mean, the only ones'.

Rest of the list is suggestive, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom