• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Where I Watch] Vampire Movies

Malkavian87

Validated User
Not yet, I'll probably get to it eventually.

Requiem pour un vampire (1971)

My 200th vampire movie! This one by Jean Rollin, a French cult director that from the 60s till the early 2000s directed nearly a dozen vampire movies. His work tends to walk the line between art films and sexploitation. Even more so with Requiem for a Vampire. It's so surreal, much of the movie doesn't have any dialogue and it's unclear if scenes are intentionally or unintentionally funny. There was also more eroticism than I've seen in his other work.
In part this film was fun(ny) with cool imagery. But it dragged in places too, feeling much longer than it actually was.
6 stars

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
The Horror Channel's summary of this was "Two young girls are trapped with no escape. Forced to submit to the horrors of the pit. Their innocence violated beyond description in an endless nightmare of terror." I was always curious as to whether someone was really scared by it or was being really snarky,* but never quite curious enough to watch it.

* This is the channel that had summaries like "Five delinquent and unfeasibly hot girls are sent to a brutal reform academy run by a demon." and "A weekend in the country goes to pot when the campers are targeted by a sadistic killer."

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Not yet, I'll probably get to it eventually.

Requiem pour un vampire (1971)

My 200th vampire movie! This one by Jean Rollin, a French cult director that from the 60s till the early 2000s directed nearly a dozen vampire movies. His work tends to walk the line between art films and sexploitation. Even more so with Requiem for a Vampire. It's so surreal, much of the movie doesn't have any dialogue and it's unclear if scenes are intentionally or unintentionally funny. There was also more eroticism than I've seen in his other work.
In part this film was fun(ny) with cool imagery. But it dragged in places too, feeling much longer than it actually was.
6 stars
I've seen a couple of Rollin's vampire movies, and like Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural and Grave of the Vampire (1972), though not for the same reason, they feel like maybe something I shouldn't be watching.

Malkavian87

Validated User
Teenage Space Vampires (1999)

Something that recently appeared on Netflix here. With a title like that my expectations weren't exactly high, this movie didn't even meet those. The worst thing about it is the writing. Full of excruciating US high school stereotypes. And the acting isn't great either, which isn't helped by the odd dubbing of half the dialogue. Not much horror content here, this was aimed at an audience no older than teenagers. The special effects were a bunch of crappy CGI and passable yet cliche alien masks. But I guess no worse than what you'd expect from a 90s b-movie.
4 stars

shikomekidomi

Validated User
You know when something 's called "Teenage Space Vampires" it's either going to be charming or really bad. And that cover does not indicate the first to me.

Malkavian87

Validated User
L'amante del vampiro (1960)

The Vampire and the Ballerina is an Italian Gothic Horror film. Many of the tropes of that genre are in place, but it dares to experiment too. The story is not as straight forward as you'd at first expect. It's fairly fast paced and has a couple of really cool scenes. Although nothing compared to horror of the following decades it's surprisingly racy at times for a 1950s film. That might just be typical for its Italian origins though. Overall surprisingly original and enjoyable for a movie this old.
In a V:tM context I think based on his looks the main vampire here would be a Cappadocian, a Premascine I guess.
7 stars!

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User
I recommend Perfect Creature for being, uh... alt-history steampunky vampire buddy cop movie? Pretty neat scenery, and I tend to watch almost everything that Doygray Scott is in. Definitely salvageable for RPG stuff.

(Bad) trailer here.

Top Bottom