• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Where I Watch] Vampire Movies

Malkavian87

Validated User
Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993)

All the qualities of the first film were repeated here. Great atmosphere and imagery. Including a few practical and make-up effects that worked quite well. Following a newly made vampire protagonist in an urban environment part of the time also meant it wasn't a retread in plot such as I had feared. It's a sequel that has earned its existence. But since I still have the same issues with its over-dramatic tone I can't rank it much higher in quality than the first.
Where with the previous film I felt it must have helped inspire V:tM (the Tremere), with this I had the impression it was inspired in turn. "You are my Fledgling." By the way I'm leaning more towards Tzimisce Koldun than Tremere for the main vampire in this movie.
6 stars

The vampire was a necromancer? That's a nice twist.
No, he just had the Cappadocian look.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993)
All the qualities of the first film were repeated here. Great atmosphere and imagery. Including a few practical and make-up effects that worked quite well. Following a newly made vampire protagonist in an urban environment part of the time also meant it wasn't a retread in plot such as I had feared. It's a sequel that has earned its existence. But since I still have the same issues with its over-dramatic tone I can't rank it much higher in quality than the first.Where with the previous film I felt it must have helped inspire V:tM (the Tremere), with this I had the impression it was inspired in turn. "You are my Fledgling." By the way I'm leaning more towards Tzimisce Koldun than Tremere for the main vampire in this movie.
Hm... funny thing is I remember hearing the Subspecies series wasn't originally intended to be about vampires. Rather they wanted to make a movie about the little gargoyle guys and had to create a vehicle for them when the first idea didn't work out (it was made by the same company that did the Puppet Master series, another run of movies revolving around little monsters). Of course, my source is Maven of the Eventide, so I don't know how accurate that is, but at least I remember where I got the information.

Malkavian87

Validated User
Nachtwacht: De Poort der Zielen (2018)

This is one from my native Belgium. "Nachtwacht" (Nightwatch) is a kid's show about an elf, a vampire and a werewolf (they lifted straight from Twilight) teaming up to fight evil in a small town. This is the movie tie-in.
I've never watched the show. But the concept and plot were simplistic enough to make that irrelevant. The main issue was of course that I'm not the intended audience at all. Totally meant for children, that comes with simplistic plot and characterization. But I also disliked how tacky it looked. Both the props and the make-up effects seemed incredibly fake, LARP level at best. Still it wasn't entirely without its charm, this genre is rarely produced for the screen over here.
5 stars

shikomekidomi

Validated User
This is one from my native Belgium. "Nachtwacht" (Nightwatch) is a kid's show about an elf, a vampire and a werewolf (they lifted straight from Twilight) teaming up to fight evil in a small town. This is the movie tie-in.
Vampire-Werewolf team-ups predate Twilight by a long time. Hell, if you count the myths that vampires come from werewolves and witches who die, then they predate it by centuries.

On the other hand, Twilight did have vampires who were basically elves and werewolves, so I guess that's an extra point of commonality.

Malkavian87

Validated User
Take my word for it, Nachtwacht's werewolf is totally based on Twilight's Jacob. Both aesthetic and personality.

Malkavian87

Validated User
A Noite do Chupacabras (2011)

My first vampire film in a long while (re-watches of both The Hunger and We Are the Night not included). And also my first Brazilian and first Chupacabra movie. I'm told that in many Chupacabra movies the creature has little to no vampire traits, this one did though. This is a violent and gorey film about two families feuding while being hunted by the monster. It feels a bit on the cheap and amateur side, exploitation style. The quality of the acting and writing were an issue. Although maybe when it came to dialogue something was just lost in the translation. The film grew on me as it went though. The plot thickened just enough to keep me interested.
The Chupacabra is Gangrel in V:tM canon.
6 stars

shikomekidomi

Validated User
The Chupacabra is Gangrel in V:tM canon.
What, really? Not a deformed Nosferatu? Hm... Well, I guess that hunting the rural parts of the countryside is more of a Gangrel thing. And Gangrel can take on animal traits in V:TM. So the Chubacabra could be a lizard-Gangrel.

csyphrett

Validated User
Kolchak had another TV movie, The Night Strangler, about an undead killer in Seattle (where he and his editor ended up after being run out of Las Vegas), and then they settled in Chicago for the series Kolchak: The Night Stalker, which ran for one season. One of the episodes of that, "The Vampire," has Kolchak returning to Las Vegas to tie up a loose end from the original movie.
Not Vegas, Kevin. It was LA. He was told not to come back by KITT because he burned a giant cross in the middle of a park and then staked the vampire
CES

Malkavian87

Validated User
Salem's Lot (1979)

A classic in vampire cinema that I hadn't seen until now. I did however already view the 2004 adaptation. Besides being set 25 years earlier there didn't seem to be big differences. But although the plot was mostly familiar and it being quite a lengthy watch, this film did generally still hold my attention. That's mostly thanks to the well written and acted characters. Overall I rate this movie slightly higher than the newer version. This older one has a nicer feel to it.
Although Barlow looks like a Nosferatu, he could just as easily have been a Tzimisce in V:tM. Probably cause Stephen King envisioned him as a more Dracula type figure.
7 stars

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Well, the Tzimisce were into body modification, so they could look like anything. The Night Flyer was totally a Nosferatu, though, to look at another of King's works.

"The same but with better writing and acting" is actually a pretty big qualitative difference and one of the reasons for multiple remake failures. The fact you enjoyed it so makes me think I'll track it down. King's adaptations have been pretty hit and miss, so I was hesitant to give it a shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom