• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Which adventures best show off Glorantha?

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
So I picked up the new Runequest Glorantha and the Gamemasters Pack. Overall I'm pretty impressed. I do think the text could do with a tighter editing pass and more or less serially makes the mistake of referencing setting elements that are never explained but I'm interested in running it. However the set of three adventures in the gamemasters pack feel a bit "generic". Especially the initial one which has tuskers raid Apple Lane. It could be used in any fantasy setting. I'm wondering are there better adventures out there that showcase how unique the setting is? (Ideally something set or easily transplanted to Sartar as the players have their characters made).

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hard to get ahold of, perhaps, and with some problematic elements, but: Melisande's Hand, orginally published in Tales of the Red Moon fanzine and later in Sun County for RuneQuest 3. It concerns a public contest to find the (possibly year) husband for the Harvest Queen, who represents Ernalda the Earth Queen. The contestors must have a link to one of the many gods who have been one of Ernalda's husbands in myth. Since the locals are exile Sartarites, that can be just any Orlanthi. It can also be just about any other worshipper of another husband-god - the contestants in the scenario have Argan Argar, Storm Bull and Yelmalio. The whole shindig is of course important mythically, important socially, and is also a fairly good adventure scenario - either one or more (or all!) PCs are competitors, or they assist them because they are their friends, or they are tasked with seeing to that no one is cheating (which would be disastrous, and of course there are people about to mess up the "tournament").

So, involves myth, involves society, and involves community (winning lands you with a whole bunch of duties and most social advantages in return - and what about competing for love? to show the importance of your divine protector? etc).

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
If you don't mind earlier modules, the adventures from Borderlands are very good and are available through the RuneQuest Classic line. However, they have Lunars in, which differs from the new edition, as the Lunars have been driven from Prax. Also, they are in Prax, not Sartar.

If you can get hold of them, Shadows on the Borderlands had some good scenarios, mainly set in Prax but you can uproot them and set them in Sartar, as a cavern-crawl is a cavern-crawl wherever you go.

One of the problems with RuneQuest is that it has an awful lot of material set around a certain date range, which is 5 or 10 years before the current period. As so much has changed in-setting, many of the older scenarios don't really work well with the new stuff. Some do, especially those without Lunars, but Lunars were such a good enemy that they appear everywhere. Also, RQ2 material has been released again as RuneQuest Classic, but RQ3 material hasn't, so all RQ3 scenarios are out of print, which is a shame as a lot of them are very good.

Smiorgan the Bald

Validated User
However the set of three adventures in the gamemasters pack feel a bit "generic". Especially the initial one which has tuskers raid Apple Lane. It could be used in any fantasy setting. I'm wondering are there better adventures out there that showcase how unique the setting is? (Ideally something set or easily transplanted to Sartar as the players have their characters made).
Uh really? A longtime RQ player, I was quite impressed. I think they make a really good job in evoking a classic RQ feel with the additional depth of setting knowledge that was accumulated over the years. The chapter "Other Places of Interest" allows you to go sandboxy, which is very typical of RQ. I'd give a second look at the Cattle Raid and dragon adventures before discarding them.

It is hard to recommend RQ adventures set in Sartar. The classic supplement "Apple Lane" contains a pair of beloved scenarios set in the same town of the Gamemaster's book a few years before. But I bet you will find them generic as well. One is a defend the castle scenario, the other is basically a dungeon crawl that let you interact with the monsters in ways other tha killing them. The other Sartarite scenario that comes to mind is "Snakepipe Hollow" which is VERY old school, a chaos killing dungeon crawl.

Most of the classic RQ adventures were set in Prax/Pavis (like Pavis, Borderlands, River of Cradles, Sun County, Shadows on the Borderland, Lunars in Prax) or in places even more distant from Sartar, like Balazar (Griffin Mountain) or Dorastor (the eponymous campaign). "Sun County" and "Shadows on The Borderland" contain very good, deep, "modern" scenarios. Griffin Mountain is, in my opinion, the best sandbox adventure ever, but you need to go a bit old school.

As a rule, RQ scenarios are small in scale and avoid inserting metaplot. So, a lot of the setting feeling comes out from the day-to-day activities of the player characters rather than from epic scale intrigue.

I hope it helped.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You can get the Sartar Campaign and the Sartar Companion, but they're HeroQuest, so you'll have to do the RuneQuest:Glorantha encounter building yourself.

Smiorgan the Bald

Validated User
You can get the Sartar Campaign and the Sartar Companion, but they're HeroQuest, so you'll have to do the RuneQuest:Glorantha encounter building yourself.
This. Most of the Sartar stuff is for HeroQuest - which means basically statless, for the second edition.

vini_lessa

Validated User
Play King of Dragon Pass on PC or IOS. It's not only the most tangible way to see "how Glorantha works", but also comes with dozens of adventures easily portable to the table.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
The adventures in Trollpak - the original version from RQ2 - are rather good and most of them should work perfectly well despite the time-advance.

Top Bottom