• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Which adventures best show off Glorantha?

CK!

Creator of Things
Validated User
I think the QuickStart for RQG (free at Chaoisum) does a really good job on this front.

One thing to consider (and I'm not saying this is the whole solution, or a full answer to your questions): How the PCs solve problems with their specific magic and runes is going to go a long way to making the scenario feel "Glorantha" -- even if the scenario itself seems generic on the surface.

Not being glib here. I think it is an important point.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
🔴 Warning + Threadban
This is not a helpful comment.
Waaaaaaaaaa. Like i care. I think it was short and to the point.

Eitherway i have found in the last 39 years of playing in Glorantha the best games that have captured Glorantha for me and my good gaming pals have been the myriad ones we have made ourselves. They have set the scene and created an awesome place which we have explored and have made our own.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Waaaaaaaaaa. Like i care. I think it was short and to the point.

Eitherway i have found in the last 39 years of playing in Glorantha the best games that have captured Glorantha for me and my good gaming pals have been the myriad ones we have made ourselves. They have set the scene and created an awesome place which we have explored and have made our own.

Moderator Text:

What a needlessly hostile response, and a threadcrap to boot.

Leave the thread.

Cultist of Sooty

Validated User
Some of those "simple" scenarios from the early days have a lot of Glorantha flavour when you look for it. I ran the Rainbow Mounds, from Apple Lane, fairly recently (it's written up in the Actual Play I linked to in my sig). At face value, yes, it's a fairly simple bandit hunt in some caves. But...

Spoiler: Show
You've got the antagonism between the trolls and the newtlings, which shows they're all more than just "monsters". Possibly more important to me for making it feel Glorantha is the older conflict between the newtings and the rock lizards. Making sure to mention that this is not just "we want the big lizards gone" but "this is continuing the mythic fight of our great newtling ancestor" against what could be considered a minor lizard goddess. And then there's bringing the missing parts of the newtling ancestor back. Played right, this is good mythic Glorantha stuff that makes it feel like a richer, deeper world. There are also some of the more enigmatic items in the caves, like the metal leaf that shocks people, or the adamantine pillar. I tied both of those, and the gold-and-silver statue in to some ongoing plot threads. And I made sure that the newtlings told the PCs the story of their ancestor.

I thought that if you make sure you emphasise those elements that give it that Glorantha feel, it's right there in front of you. It just needs a little work to bring it out.

In a similar way, sure, some of Snake Pipe Hollow is just a chaos bash, but there is the whole bit:

Spoiler: Show
In the Deep Temple, where the PCs can piece together the story of what happened when it fell and talk to the spirits/ghosts o the survivors and maybe bring Baroshi back. When I ran it, I had foreshadowed this over several sessions, but it still feels very Glorantha-like, I would expect, when any PCs are exploring this. And it's a great set up for an epic adventure to come back one day and restore it to its former glory. I doubt the PCs would be able to save everything, but they would be able to save something. And it would be amazing to play through if the PCs had already seen the awful fate everyone there had previously suffered.

There are absolute games in that early material. Going on a trip to Skyfall Lake to trade with the trolls should be on everyone's bucket list, too. I've never run it but I love that scenario.

21st Century Moose

Validated User
Read the Travels of Biturian Varosh in classic Cults of Prax; it's not an adventure, but most of the events in it could be adapted to an adventure, and it's still one of the best introductions to Glorantha you'll find anywhere. Of course it's also Prax rather than Sartar, but it's not a million miles from Sartar.

Smiorgan the Bald

Validated User
Some of the previous answers are pure gold. What makes a scenario Gloranthan is not necessarily being overtly based on a vast, epic, Gloranthan plot or conflict. Often it is the little things, the details of the world and how the characters deal with them. Like, instead of killing a monster founding a cult worshiping it!

videopete

Validated User
There is an adventure in either Pavis or Big Rubble where the adventurers have to guard a baby cradle as it travels the Zora Fel River. The thing about Runequest is you really need to get out of the DnD mindset to make it work. The game is not about just killing monsters and taking stuff, but advancing your self, clan, cult and tribe. Applelane is not just an adventure about defending a small village it is an oppertunity to take the Thaneship of a village and increase your standing in the community, and establishing a base of operations from not just a place to store your crap but generate income (monsters in this edition are not the money spiders they were). Snake Pipe Hollow is not just a dungeon crawl, but a place you can revisit time and time again for different reasons ie: initiate as a stormbull, heroequesting on the mortal plane, recovering a kidnap victim, or questing for the Glass Snake Pipes of Ernalda to earn reputation with Argrath.

CK!

Creator of Things
Validated User
The game is not about just killing monsters and taking stuff, but advancing your self, clan, cult and tribe.
This another excellent point. The context of the adventures really helps shape the feeling of Glorantha as well. This is specifically true of the more "clan focused" play introduced in Hero Wars and carried into the current edition of RuneQuest.

When your PCs need to sort out the mystery of some ailment hurting the clan or cult, or being in conflict with a clan leader about the best solution, or takin get a piece of property to stop the advance of another clan toward your grazing lands all of these adventures become much more than dungeon crawls.

ffilz

Validated User
These threads are always hard for me...

For me, the Glorantha of the RQ1/2 era modules and supplements IS Glorantha... If the timeline in RQG has the Lunars out if Prax, then most of the Prax adventures from the RQ1/2/3 era are less useful, however, ones that I can think of that aren't too Lunar centric:

Apple Lane
Snake Pipe Hollow
Trollpak (I haven't actually used any of these, but I don't remember much if any Lunar presence)

Borderlands doesn't feature too many Lunars as enemies, so it could work for a general idea of things that might happen in Prax
Griffon Mountain mostly happens outside the Lunar presence (and is close enough to the Lunar empire that any Lunar presence outside the forts could still be reasonable, and maybe the Lunars are still in Balazar anyway).

But none of these focus much on "advancing clan, cult, and tribe", they are from a different gaming era.

Frank

videopete

Validated User
honestly, I find most of the adventures that are published never actually stated when they took place, and give the fuzzy time line is and can be what with heroquesting mucking about when and how things went down, run your adventures when you want them to occur. Esspecially in light of how Greg wanted Runequest to essentially be run kind of like Pendragon, and how Argath may or may not had been one person. Remember Your Glorantha May Vary and time is the great compromise.

Top Bottom