• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Which TV show has the best Muslim regular character?

Gareth3

Validated User
One of those trivial coincidences that draw my attention is that both Doctor Who and Legends of Tomorrow are about ragtag groups of time travellers, and both have fairly young female Muslim characters, Yaz and Zari respectively. There's also the male lead Zidan on the procedural FBI. What they also have in common is that the depiction of Islam is a bit lackluster. You obviously don't want the characters to be grating stereotypes, but all three series seem to have gone too far the other way. If you just pick an episode at random you'd have a hard time realising any of them were Muslim. Zidan is an expert in Islamist terrorism, but actually being Muslim himself doesn't come up that often. Zari had one episode trying to explain halal food to Mick. Yaz had an episode about her ancestors in the Partition of India. That's about it, and none of them have ever been shown praying. So, are there any better treatments of Muslim characters? The best I can think of is Brody from the first few seasons of Homeland - he converts to Islam as well as becoming a suicide bomber, and the show is clear about the distinction between the two.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I don’t watch the other shows, but I like Zari on Legends; I actually like it better when their religion is a part of them but isn’t highlighted all the time and I like how they’ve handled Zari. There was also an episode where she ruminated about saving her parents in the past before “the country turned on them” which I thought was well done.

Sayyid Jarrah on Lost was one of my favorite characters on the show; his background of being an Iraqi soldier was a huge part of his character, and he was shown to perform prayer at least once that I can remember. He was also one of the most coolly competent and badass characters on the show, who was wrestling with his own demons. He was a fully realized character who never felt like he was a stereotype or a token character, which matters the most to me imo.

Just remembered another one: Quantico was a deeply silly show with silly plots, but the characters were diverse and fun. Among them were Nimah and Raina, twin Muslim FBI agents (who were pretending to be one person - remember that I said it’s a silly show?). After they were revealed to be twins, it was shown that one sister was more devout and preferred to wear a headscarf in public while the other didn’t. I guess “twins being opposite from each other!” is a cliche in itself, but I did like the portrayal of Muslims not being uniform in their faith and choice of clothing, especially as it reminded me of siblings who were like that.

Last edited:

King Snarf

Validated User
Hey, since Kamala Khan has been showing up in the various Marvel animated series, does she count? She should totally count.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Arastoo Vaziri from Bones is a decent character. Not outstanding, but likeable and, as far as I know, portrait respectfully.

Moritz

user, registered
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As a Muslim I really liked Sayyid in Lost. Haven't watched Homeland yet though.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sayyid was a cool character, with some real depth and complexity to him.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Isn't there a Canadian series about a Muslim community and its integration into the larger society? I saw something like that a few years ago but the title eludes me and the contents are very murky.

neutrondecay

An Experience
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Isn't there a Canadian series about a Muslim community and its integration into the larger society? I saw something like that a few years ago but the title eludes me and the contents are very murky.
Little Mosque on the Prairie.

nd

Top Bottom