• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Which X-Men should be used in the MCU?

Gareth3

Validated User
It's now possible for the X-Men to appear in MCU movies, although Disney has no immediate plans for them to do so. I was thinking about how to distinguish mutants from the other MCU superheroes, and one possibility is to go character-by-character. You don't have a superpowered team travelling into space to fight cosmic villains, we just did that. Maybe you don't even call them the X-Men. You just pick a few mutant characters from the comics which are the biggest departures from MCU superheroes, from whatever publishing years you want, and build the story around them. Here's some criteria we could use:

Youth: Very few MCU superheroes are teenagers, so making the mutants be the "kids" is one way to distinguish them. People's ages are all messed up in the comics, but they should have been written as young at some point.

Appearance: They should have some kind of permanent, hard-to-conceal bizarre appearance. Even Bruce Banner can blend into a crowd most of the time, so this is a new challenge and offers new story possibilities.

Side effects: Mutants didn't take any carefully designed super-soldier serums or build any robot suits. They're horrific, uncontrollable freaks of nature, hurting themselves and their loved ones as often as their enemies. Rogue lobotomising her boyfriend with a kiss, Cyclops' eye beams slicing his school in half, that's the classic mutant experience and it's something we haven't seen much in the MCU movies. This also will contribute to the "world that hates and fears them" thing, but that's a setting detail that isn't specific to each character.

I realise some of these have been covered on the MCU animation and live-action TV, but those are behind a continuity event horizon so I'm focussing on the movies. So who should we choose? They should have at least two of the above. I'm picking Chamber, from Generation X. Essentially Captain Marvel's energy blast powers, but his first blast burned away everything between his nose and navel. And he survived. That covers two criteria in one shot, literally, and he was a teenager when he was introduced. Who do you pick?

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd go with the original 4.
You'd have to do somthing about Jean to fiut the criteria (you can have bobby stuck in his ice form), but they're teenager and their the originals.

Gareth3

Validated User
Oh, nicely done. We'd probably want to have the blue Beast as well. Strictly speaking Jean wasn't an original member, since the first issue has her joining the team. And her story has been told twice in the movies, so I'd be reluctant to use her. Can't have an all-male team, though. Maybe Marrow?

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I'd want to see the Deadpool version of Colossus, but that's because he's acted so incredibly well (Stefan Kapičić did an amazing job with his voice) and his earnest boyscout personality is so endearing.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Oh, nicely done. We'd probably want to have the blue Beast as well. Strictly speaking Jean wasn't an original member, since the first issue has her joining the team. And her story has been told twice in the movies, so I'd be reluctant to use her. Can't have an all-male team, though. Maybe Marrow?
Why not Storm? She's a much more popular and well known character than Marrow, and she has a distinct look (white eyes and white hair).

I'd also include Wolverine in some capacity. Maybe not as an X-man, but just have him show up, Maybe have Cap see him and do a double take like "....Have we met before?"

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd also include Wolverine in some capacity. Maybe not as an X-man, but just have him show up, Maybe have Cap see him and do a double take like "....Have we met before?"
I myself would really like a break from Wolverine in any capacity.
I would be able to compromise on Laura.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I myself would really like a break from Wolverine in any capacity.
I would be able to compromise on Laura.
Well I'm not saying make another movie on him. Maybe just have him show up in a bar or something as a cameo.

I mean, look, lets be real here, he's gonna show up, he's fucking Wolverine. He's pretty much the face of the X-men for better or worse. But just... let him make little cameos throughout phase four here or there, give the other mutants some breathing room, and then maybe give him a bigger role or a movie at the end of phase four.

Gareth3

Validated User
Eh, true enough. Could we at least lose the adamantium? Just bone claws and super-healing should be enough, without the tired old super-soldier idea. Someone said that Wolverine sounds like a RPG character whose player keeps piling on the advantages. "He's a mutant with claws and super-senses and superhealing and a top-secret government project gave him an indestructible metal skeleton and he spent years in Japan and learned the ninja arts..."

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Eh, true enough. Could we at least lose the adamantium? Just bone claws and super-healing should be enough, without the tired old super-soldier idea. Someone said that Wolverine sounds like a RPG character whose player keeps piling on the advantages. "He's a mutant with claws and super-senses and superhealing and a top-secret government project gave him an indestructible metal skeleton and he spent years in Japan and learned the ninja arts..."
Give big chunks of that background to Scott Summers too. Have him raised by ninja, kidnapped by evil government agents, and given a metal skeleton of his own (probably based on experiments enabled by Wolverine's healing factor, as adamantium implantation was originally pretty fatal). Give Cyclops common ground with Wolverine, and use it to contrast them.

Ideal outcome: hearing someone saying "No way, Cyclops is way cooler!".

Not sure if serious. But I think you could spice Cyclops up a bit without losing who he is. I mean, both he and Logan have to put some effort into mindful self-awareness to avoid accidental damage to those around them; you can just put them on even footing if they both have a background in meditation techniques and can argue about what form of emptiness is more effective, for example. Give them common factors so they have more to disagree about - and more common ground too.

Top Bottom