• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

White Wolf to no longer develop books internally, Camarilla Book to be edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PST

Validated User
And they've been pretty consistent in telling the neo-nazi sexist shitlord set to get bent whenever they've protested stuff like having women visible in their strategy games and the like. They've come close to using that language, from memory.
Right now gamergaters are complaining that Paradox dared to use a woman for the voice of military culture in Stellaris.

Obviously that's all about ethics in video game journalism, just like their ranting about this is.

Arcane1

Gunzosha - In - Training
Validated User
Im a bit out of the loop here. Someone early up in this thread mentioned "an apology per book". Can someone give me the cliffnotes version or some links to the apparently mounting issues. Where they all as bad as this Chechnya thing?

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
It would be a considerable step backwards. And one of the big points of this new edition was to give new voices and perspectives a shot at the material. You don't get new points of view by giving the properties back to the pool of authors who had their fangs into the properties for decades.
Do Onyx Path even want it? I always had the impression that one impetus behind the as it was then New World of Darkness was that the developers themselves were tired of the old setting.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Just look at Onyx Path's list of past and current authors. Compare them with White Wolf while it was still operating under CCP.

Enough said.
That Eric Minton and Robert Vance, such distinguished White Wolf old guard!

(Okay, that's over on the Exalted side of things, but it's not all that different in the Chronicles of Darkness side, either.)

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Onyx Path doesn't have many long-term Vampire: the Masquerade veterans left, nor many long-term veterans at all. I don't think any of the White Wolf-owned properties have the same developers as they did when CCP owned White Wolf. But it does have freelance writers with some experience with Masquerade and a strong love of the setting the way it was before Martin Ericsson got involved. I'd trust them with the property more than anyone else.

I'm biased. I have Onyx Path ties through friends and family. But I don't think there was some endless stream of mistakes or anything. I have no idea where that's coming from.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
Onyx Path doesn't have many long-term Vampire: the Masquerade veterans left, nor many long-term veterans at all. I don't think any of the White Wolf-owned properties have the same developers as they did when CCP owned White Wolf. But it does have freelance writers with some experience with Masquerade and a strong love of the setting the way it was before Martin Ericsson got involved. I'd trust them with the property more than anyone else.

I'm biased. I have Onyx Path ties through friends and family. But I don't think there was some endless stream of mistakes or anything. I have no idea where that's coming from.
The idea seems to be "if the old guard hadn't bungled the old World of Darkness, it would never have ended."

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
Im a bit out of the loop here. Someone early up in this thread mentioned "an apology per book". Can someone give me the cliffnotes version or some links to the apparently mounting issues. Where they all as bad as this Chechnya thing?
A brief rundown of issues:

-One of the first preview materials for Vampire is a mobile narrative-based game called We Eat Blood and All Our Friends are Dead, written by controversial RPG figure Zak S. Among the features of the game is a trans sex worker vampire whose method of feeding involves whether or not the guys she gives ride to will pass her personal purity test... who happens to be named after a trans RPG writer with whom Zak has beef.

-The V5 Alpha playtest comes out, and the sample Ventrue PC belongs to Pegida and feeds on kids.

-V5 comes out, and the possible issues of "Well, that's unfortunate" range from "Maybe we're squinting a little too hard..." (e.g., a page where the sample dice land as 1, 4, 8, and 8) to "Well, I can see where that's an issue" (e.g., saying that modern Brujah can draw from both the alt-right and feminists).* Given everything that's preceded this, this is around the time that nuWW starts getting real explicit with its "Nazi punks fuck off" messaging, and yet...

-The aforementioned Chechnya mess.

-The Anarch book also has some similarly "I get that it's an IC perspective, buuuuut..." bits about how suicide is common among new Embraces, but that's okay, that's just how Kindred society figures out who's really worth it.

I may be missing some, and it says a fair bit that I have to say "I may be missing some."

*Bits like this are bundled with some messages by nuWW staff about the polling of far-right parties in the recent Swedish elections, which seems to carry a tone of "We're just trying to reflect the world as it is." But do that without scrutiny and the proper focus, and well, you get this.

They're making the V5 Chicago by Night, so clearly they're okay with doing some stuff.
They also designed Vampire 20th, Werewolf 20th, Mage 20th, Changeling 20th, Wraith 20th...

I mean, I suppose they could just pass it to Catalyst, Palladium, FFG, etc. on a Round Robin schedule...

Last edited:

Desiden

Validated User
There was a ton of stuff just from the initial announcement, when they managed to piss off a number of larp groups with some edgy statements about how boundaries in larping were meant to be crossed and other garbage.

There was also Changing Ways, which was a werewolf book written by OPP. nuWW made them add some dumb and pointlessly edgy stuff about how the garou nation shat on trans people and some weird stuff about abortion and contraceptives that Martin Ericsson apparently thought it was super important we all know about our make believe ecowarriors. I forget if they ever apologized for this, but I know the writers of that book were less than pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom